Reversing headache

I had a class 1 assessment drive a couple weeks ago for a job.
Everything went fairly well until I stuffed up the reversing onto a bay. :frowning: :frowning:
I was basically told I needed more experience and to get some agency work in and that they would phone me in a month or so to see how I was getting on and take it from there.
I haven’t driven since passing my test as my agency has not got a lot of weekend work on at the moment. I’m looking for a couple more this week so hopefully will get some soon.
The reversing what you are mainly taught on your driver training is totally different to doing it in the real world.
I’ve applied for a couple more jobs so needed to sort my reversing out.
So this Saturday I went and got some valuble training just doing reversing.
I must say it was money well spent.
I gained some great advice and know how.
For all you new drivers out there who are struggling or are a bit worried about reversing, I recommend it.
I want to say a big thank you to Mothertrucker (Wendy) and Les her husband who run Priestley HGV \ LGV TRAINING (http://www.priestleylgv.co.uk) for their understanding and great training.
I used their school and have nothing but praise for them.
Les took me out and trained me on the theory and practical of reversing.
Many thanks again!

BL.

My big tips on reversing are:

1. Get as straight as possible on the dock door to start off with.

2. Take it slow. You can do most reverses on tick over.

3. Give the vehicle time to move. A 5ft shunt won’t do anything

Of course there are days when even hitting the wall of the warehouse let alone a certain door are beyond me. Serves my current place right for alternating me between class 1 and 3 vehicles!

A lot of C+E drivers like me have this problem - it’s like riding a bicycle if you aint been on one in a while - takes half a dozen attempts to get it back again.
I was luckier than most - I was a night yard shunter for National Carriers (HELL, that was 30 years ago - I’m getting old) at the ripe old age of 18. Did not even have a car licence!

reversing does take some getting used to, but going for some extra training was a good idea. being able to concertrate on that and then somebody putting you right will work wonders in the future.