Going backwards

So tonight I have my 1st shift in a Class 2.

Bit worried about doing a reverse in the real world for the 1st time. Any tips please?

Cheers,
Andy

Give yourself plenty of room, get and and check as many times as you need. NEVER risk it.

Have fun, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was the same 3 weeks ago, after a few times you’ll be more confident. As Peter said check check check, and don’t be afraid to get out and assess the situation first that’s what I do.

Sainsbury’s ? DHL Emerson Green Bristol. Their training insist that the driver gets out the vehicle and do a walk round before starting a reverse manoeuvre 2 reasons

1. to check and asses the area
    2.it wakes you up after being sat on your ■■■■ for the last however long …

if you have a large area ie RDC yard with bags of space USE it that’s why they have lots of room

Preparation . Look at where you need to go and work in your mind what you need to be doing to accomplish it, just shy of the lading bay stop then trickle back till the stop.
Remember if you have a drop down tail lift to drop this before you hit the bay and then just ease off the bay an inch so when the loaders go on and off you dong damage the lift.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Have looked on google maps at the sites and there looks to be plenty of room at the sites, so should be fine :slight_smile:

Hi, i just started driving class 2 three weeks ago doing multidrop in and around London, so can well understand your concern as i’m really fresh too! i think it’s pretty poor that they don’t cover more reversing in the test as it seems to me the most problematic bit about driving bigger things.

Couple of things i’ve learned so far, have a good long hard eyeball at the thing you’re reversing into before you start and take in where all of the things are like the parked cars and the bollards and the lamp posts and the give way signs, especially if you think they are going to make it tight. Be super hyper observant when it comes to pedestriants as some of them are proper stupid. When one walks behind you in one mirror, make sure the same person walks out of the other mirror. I was reversing up to this shop last week and this ■■■■■■■ her phone walked straight behind me, so i stopped and gave her a few seconds to to emerge from the other side and nothing, so i hop out of the cab to have a look and she is stood still right behind me on her phone completely oblivious that there was a lorry reversing at her. I reckon if i’d have gone back another 5 feet, she’d have either moved very very fast or would have got flattened. So yes, never underestimate the stupidity of other people. And lastly, grow a thick skin. Some people are impatient and like to hoot and holler because you are slowing them down, but at the end of the day we are new and don’t want to hit a car or put a lamppost flat to the floor, so it’s better to take time and go slow and err on the side of caution, so if someone gets all upset because you need to reverse into something of the road, ■■■■ them. Don’t even acknowledge them, just pay them no attention whatsoever, go slower if you have to just don’t let them hurry you up or distract you in any way, because you were there first. You sit in traffic every day aswell, so if you are slowing things down, well it is like karma and that is your way of giving a bit back to society. Hope this helps!

I wouldn’t let this worry you mate, i recall starting on the roll on roll off skips where they kept the skips out side the gaffers office, here was where we had to reverse up to them with not to much room to manoeuvre to pick up or drop off, it was nerve wrecking at first, believe me it all drops into place my friend …

2 nights done and the reverse thing isn’t as bad as I feared. There were a couple of squeaky bum moments on the 1st attempt at depo, but they have bollards allowing maybe 6 inches of clearance to get into the bay so is a bit tight.

Seem to be doing ok :smiley:

I find it easier going backwards than forwards haha