Renault Premium

Found out company is replacing our M.A.N s for Renaults this year, :frowning: :frowning: first lot coming in june,hopefully by december when mine is due for renewal,they would have found out their ■■■■ and get me a M.A.N XXL,im not holding my breath though. :smiley:
Anyway ,does anyone know whether they are any good?I have heard conflicting reports,some say good ,some say bad,Ive heard there plasticey,they rattle and fall apart,basically cheap crap. :cry: :cry:
We are getting the one with lift axle,and I think it only has a drivers seat in it (no passenger seat) :confused: :confused:

PLEASE,PLEASE somebody reply :laughing: :laughing:

People on this site try and compare them with top of the range motors and then say they not good, but they are not trying to be a top of the range truck, thats left to the Magnum. It’s a case of getting what you pay for. Also they have been around for about 10 years so they a getting a bit long in the tooth and are probally due for replacment.
However I don’t mind them but going from a TGA XXL to Premium even a high cab one is not going to be an upward step.
They are basically a good solid fleet workhorse and will take punishment, the company I worked for used them on full weight work delivering onto building sites and farms and they kept going depite the dust, mud and getting stuck being pulled out of sites by JCB’s.
Unlike the old Renaults the cab interiors don’t fall apart round you, unlike my experience with MAN door panels and external locker latches.
As for no passenger seat I thought they finished that cab spec.

Basically they will do the job, but it won’t be as good doing it in an MAN expecially XXL.

bikemonkey:
I have heard conflicting reports,some say good ,some say bad,Ive heard there plasticey,they rattle and fall apart,basically cheap crap. :cry: :cry: We are getting the one with lift axle,and I think it only has a drivers seat in it (no passenger seat) :confused: :confused:

nuff said, they are crap. you have been told right.
i have an 04 reg and its rattling more than a babys toy. see,s a hil and die,s… :wink:

Our company run quite a few 420 Premiums, they are ok, they are fairly quiet and they are quite comfortable.

Having said that you have to realise they are not top spec motors, they are built to a price for a reasonable fleet motor.

The contract runs out from September and according to our Internal News Bulletin, we are getting 2000 MAN TGA with a D20 engine and a greenhouse on top :stuck_out_tongue: I would probably have prefered a DAF though.

The French will not be getting the MAN until 2006 because the Scanias and Volvos are on a longer term Lease

We run Premiums,and I used to have one,but as I’m mostly office based now,I gave it up for a Merc Axor,which I drive occasionally.But if you click on the link below,it will take you to an old posting of mine,and you can judge for yorself.

Ken.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ght=#21024

I use to drive for a rental company that had Iveco’s & Renault Premiums.
The Premium is basic but OK, the auto box is nice to drive & they have a few gremlins, the seats rub against the bunk & both wear badly as a result & a brake sensor is prone to failure & when accelerating can cause the engine to cut out or the dash board to light up with danger stop warnings & the seat controls & suspension also seems less than robust.
But they are OK to drive, we use to jump in & out of these & Stralis & other than the fact you always forgot they did not stop as well as the Stralis until it did not stop as quick, there were no complaints about them from us or the customers.
The brakes are not a problem, it was just a readjustment problem between the two vehicles.

I think the French should be banned from making trucks and cars they are all crap.

The Renault Premium is a crock of ■■■■ the only good thing it ever had was the flap on the steering wheel to write your tacho out on and i think they have stopped that in them now, they vibrate and shake you all over the place.

If i was given the option of what truck i had to drive the Renault Premium ( Premium my arse surely thats against the description of goods act) would be the last ine i would choose.

P.S. a tip for you if you get one the idiots have made the dummies for the suzies in exactly the same place as they plug in so make sure you dont plug in the wrong end and get half way down the road and realise you have no lights :blush: :blush: :blush: .

I think the French should be banned from making trucks and cars they are all crap.

In one respect I can’t agree with that,because I race a Citroen AX,with good results,and many of their modern day road cars are quite good,and no,I don’t own one,however,their trucks are like,as someone said,Marmite,you either love 'em or hate 'em.

And don’t forget,there’s a Swedish part owner of Renault now.

Ken.

Quinny:
I race a Citroen AX

Is that possible■■?

The trophies in my front room speak for themselves.

Ken.

if you were to ask drivers what truck they would prefer i think you would find the renault premium at the bottom of the list along with foden.
if you have a man at the moment even a basic one then you should try to holdonto it as long as possible.
the bottom bunk in the premium is very hard, the top bunk is a hammock but is quite comfortable.
the cigar lighter is next to the door so your phone keeps getting knocked about when it’s charging, there is nowhere to put your papers on some models other than the centre and then they slide off as you corner, they do rattle after a while but when hew they sound quiet, things do come loose later though and you spend a lot of time trying to find out what it is, the mirrors are a bit hit and miss and sticky out type, they are deceptive when reversing and you can easily mis judge an angle.
i think i would possibly pick one over a foden though but not an erf so that may say something but then again i haven’t driven a foden for over 4 years so they may have got things right now and the reno would then drop to bottom place.
at the end of the day the premium is a good bosses truck, they appear roomy to drivers which appeals to them, there good on fuel, they now have an equivilent engine size to most other general type motors and of course they don’t cost the same price as a top of the range truck but do look like a top of the range truck because of their height.

2000 trucks? Who you work for, UCI is it?

the best thing to do to premium is when you stop to fuel up rather than use the derv pump pull the nosel from the petrol spray the cab and set fire to it

jammymutt:

Quinny:
I race a Citroen AX

Is that possible■■?

They have a 24 hour 2CV race at Snetterton. I think it take them that long to do 3 laps. :laughing: You ought to see them lean at the esses. :smiley:

easy2004:
the best thing to do to premium is when you stop to fuel up rather than use the derv pump pull the nosel from the petrol spray the cab and set fire to it

Would that not contravine the 1962 legal act of wasting petrol though?.

well i think there a decent motor they do what there desingned for over the years ive driven topliners globey xls magnums eurostars tga xxl all good trucks but when i drove those motors i was doing euro work.now im home every night i dont need a truck like that .i find the premium roomy comfortable to drive its got cruise control renault engine brake cd player. it doesnt matter what the badge says on the front as long as it gets the job done and home at night thats all that matters.if ya dont like em dont work where theyve got em.ive driven dafs cf and fodens alpha the man tga lx and to me they all seem like good trucks i supposse its horses for courses. :laughing:

Could be worse I suppose…
He could end up with a “Wendy House!”

ianyng:
Could be worse I suppose…
He could end up with a “Wendy House!”

Nothing wrong with the wendy houses, I had one as my first dedicated unit, P plate FL10 360, was excellent for doing deliveries in and around london. It had Cruise, electric windows etc, which for a P plate was well ahead of the likes of the DAF 85 and the MAN F90, Must admit doing the odd night out was a bit of a struggle, but a good motor none the less. Just think back to the Bedford TK and the like, we really dont have much to moan about, trucks have come a long way in the last 10 years, I think we all might be getting a little bit spoiled.

A Seems like daft saftey device on REN Prems. (older models don’t know about others) is when waiting at traffic lights ,in a queue etc. the engine cuts out to a tickover after sitting with foot on clutch for so long.
This nearly caused an accident on the A17 in lincs
after waiting for a gap in traffic (only partly loaded)
come to “go for it” engine dyed3/4 way across A17 with
a disgrutled lgv driver looming in quick.
The only way to clear the problem is to stop.(knock engine off) the very thing i didn’t want to do along the a17 racetrack with a burly looking container driver inches away from bumper!!.
this wouldn,t have happed if renault had some kinda warning sticker on windscreen. Or somebody had told me (it was a hire truck)
Or and bye the way other than that found ren prem ok__ but a bit plasticky … but aren,t they all nowadays.!!!