Renault Premiums

Looking at buying either an 06 or 07 Renault Premium to put on bulk tipping work, just wondered for those of you that drive them if they are adequate to spend up to 4 nights a week away in? Is there enough storage and cab space to accomodate the usual tramping gear? I did sit in one and found the engine hump just to the left of your legs to stick out a bit far and be a pain in the arse but i’m sure I could live with that if everything else is sound about them. Good and bad opinions welcome!!

plenty storage, plenty room unless ur a giant, comfy seats & beds & tbh the top bed is comfy too bottom bed is nice size. all in all as good as anything else out there. only down side is the cream interior is prone to stains.

Ive sat in a 10 plate I think it was, with beige interior and I thought it was alright to be fair. Im about 6ft 3 with my work boots on and I could stand up on the hump and had head clearance so its certainly spacious. Don’t know what they are like to drive though but I didn’t like the mirrors very much either thought they were a bit small.

I drive a rigid premium,i do one or 2 nights at most a week and not running together,mines a low roof and very very little storage room,arite for a night or so but im sure the bigger roofed units are much better,im used to the engine hump but the older model i drove had a tall double sleeper and lots of storage,the night heater is down beside handbrake,i dunno why its not in a normal place though,i suffer the space problem to get a fresher wagon,otherwise i cant fault it,drives very well and a comfy bed,its a pity they just arent a bit bigger like an XF Daf,you have to go to the very much bigger Magnum to get real space with the Reno badge.

i find the renault premium very claustrophobic, had a day out in 1 the other week as my normal drive (merc actros high cab) was off the road. i think it depends what your in now, if you are currently driving a truck with a flat floor that you can stand up in, then i think a renault premium will do your head in after a while.

My Dad tells me the Premiums/Priviliges etc slide all over the shop and the beige interior is, well, horrible.

Thanks for the replies, driving an xf at moment and while its not flat floor it is a fairly big cab.

Renault Premium is horrible for storage. Anyone that tells you differently hasn’t driven any of the competition. Nowhere for your pens, nowhere for your notes, nowhere for your phone, nowhere for your bag of stuff unless you put it on the hump, but then it promptly slides off into the pax footwell as soon as you get to a bend in the road. Horrible wagons and should have been discontinued years ago.

xfmatt:
Looking at buying either an 06 or 07 Renault Premium to put on bulk tipping work, just wondered for those of you that drive them if they are adequate to spend up to 4 nights a week away in? Is there enough storage and cab space to accomodate the usual tramping gear? I did sit in one and found the engine hump just to the left of your legs to stick out a bit far and be a pain in the arse but i’m sure I could live with that if everything else is sound about them. Good and bad opinions welcome!!

I live in mine, an 08 model, sun-fri and find it has enough room to cope with although other drivers on our firm moan about them, i find it no less accomodating than my last truck which was an fh12. I’m 6"2 and always sleep well in the bed,nice and comfy. If i was buying a truck then i would definitely consider buying a premium because , imo they are under-rated. Hope this helps.

imo they are under-rated. Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Well said,arent they made by volvo or volvo something to do with them?

BIGRIG1:

[/quote]
Not sure about the volvo bit although i understand the engine and gearbox are volvo.

BIGRIG1:

[/quote]
My dad calls them a cheap mans Volvo. They’re basically a Volvo with a renault cab on it.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Thanks for the feedback, it’s my first wagon i’m buying and considering Renault because they are reasonable money and light for the bulk tipping job. Also looking at MAN XLX440’s though so any comments on them also appreciated.

In terms of relation to Volvo:

Look at the doors:

Interior:

theres worse about good enough for a week away and i was told by a volvo fella that they are volvo from the cab down :wink:

Iv got a 59 plate 450 auto I like it, ive only had it a week, but then again ive only just passed my class1, and was used to a 8 wheeler daf Cf with a day cab. The seats do stain easy mine were filthy when I got it but nothing a couple Ov seat covers won’t sort out, it’s roomy enough for me but I’ve never done nights out in it yet

Hi, I drove an 07 450 premium auto for nearly 2 years and thought it was a cracking truck, pulled well, nice smooth auto box and enough storage space.Side lockers are a complete joke though.
I now drive a new XLX440, totally different animal, pulls like a train nice auto box and more than enough storage space.Huge side lockers.
If you are driving an XF now the Premium will feel tiny when you first get in one, also if youre going for a manual I would without a doubt go for the MAN with the comfort shift. Interior storage is all relative though, mate of mine has a premium and simply took out the top roll out bunk,made a frame and fitted some homemade kitchen cupboards including a microwave. If the truck is going to live a hard life then the MAN is a more solid truck but because of that the payload will suffer compared to a Premium. Personally I would go with the Premium for the simple reason that the extra half ton+ a load will help pay the bills where the extra cab width etc wont.

truckers boy:
plenty storage, plenty room unless ur a giant, comfy seats & beds & tbh the top bed is comfy too bottom bed is nice size. all in all as good as anything else out there. only down side is the cream interior is prone to stains.

LOLOLOL…what kind of stains?

Rob K:
Renault Premium is horrible for storage. Anyone that tells you differently hasn’t driven any of the competition. Nowhere for your pens, nowhere for your notes, nowhere for your phone, nowhere for your bag of stuff unless you put it on the hump, but then it promptly slides off into the pax footwell as soon as you get to a bend in the road. Horrible wagons and should have been discontinued years ago.

Always the voice of reason is our Rob…but he never really says what he means!!!

rubyroo2:

BIGRIG1:

Not sure about the volvo bit although i understand the engine and gearbox are volvo.

Volvo bought Renault trucks in 2001.

If the truck is going to live a hard life then the MAN is a more solid truck but because of that the payload will suffer compared to a Premium.

Not much of a recommendation :frowning:

Regards,
Nick