Removing old stickers

Has any-one got any advice on removing old stickers from a metal tool box … managed to peel some off - but there is still some of the old glue remaining.
Some-one suggested “warming” them with a hairdryer first to soften the glue :question:
Didn’t know if this was right forum … Mods will no doubt move it :slight_smile:

Nail-varnish remover. Works a treat on the glue left behind (oh, and removing nail-varnish!! :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: )

Heat gun.

use thinners and a cloth to remove the remaining glue after you have took the stickers off

a heat gun will make the stickers easier to come off, but it will still leave the glue there

it is exactly the same for removing them from vehicles

The guy who does my signwriting uses a heat gun to warm them up, then any glue residue, he swears by Methylated Spirit. I’ve seen him do it and to be honest it made me bleedin mad, the times i’ve sat poncing about with this and that only to watch him do it in no time!

drew30:
Nail-varnish remover. Works a treat on the glue left behind (oh, and removing nail-varnish!! :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: )

Don’t know how big your nails are dude, but you’ve either had small signwriting in the past or your buying nail varnish remover in bulk :grimacing:

Spray deodorant on the glue residue and leave it for about 20 seconds, then wipe. It has amazing cleaning properties! Lifts stains out of carpets, felt-tip off walls etc.

MrHappy:
The guy who does my signwriting uses a heat gun to warm them up, then any glue residue, he swears by Methylated Spirit. I’ve seen him do it and to be honest it made me bleedin mad, the times i’ve sat poncing about with this and that only to watch him do it in no time!

drew30:

Don’t know how big your nails are dude, but you’ve either had small signwriting in the past or your buying nail varnish remover in bulk :grimacing:

Nail varnish remover is simply Acetone

cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Ca … e_533.html

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nail-Varnisher-Re … c3fbfd29ab

A hot pressure cleaner also works

Hairdryer to soften the glue, sharp craft knife to peel the edges back, meths to remove any residue.

If you go slow enough you’ll get most of the glue at the same time as the sticker itself.

You’re better with the hairdryer as the heat gun can get too hot and damage the surrounding paintwork, not so much of a problem on a toolbox but would be on the side of your vehicle

WD40 is perfect for getting glue off;, plus you get the added bonus of protecting the surface by leaving a small coating on. :wink:

Do you know anyone who works in the motortrade as a valeter?

They use a product call Tar & Glue it really does work a treat.

I dare say you could buy it from a motorspares shop.

Halfords do a spray tin of sticky stuff remover that’s the name of it too it works a treat and only a few quid

A few things. Tar remover, Autoglymm do one, so do Autosmart (called Tardis that one)

WD40 is another one you can use.

Sticky stuff remover is an actual product with a nice orangy smell

Mayonase you can use aswell. Put it on, leave it a while then rub off.

Thanks guys … thought hair dryer idea might work to soften the glue.
I’m a bit worried about drew30 … seems to have a lot of experience of nail polish remover :laughing: … don’t know if i should ask anymore :blush: :laughing:

glencarron:
Do you know anyone who works in the motortrade as a valeter?

They use a product call Tar & Glue it really does work a treat.

I dare say you could buy it from a motorspares shop.

AutoSmart Tardis is the best in my eyes.
Tar&Glue is an AutoGlym product, they both do the same thing, just don’t leave it on the paint for to long…
If its a vehicle i would advise waxing after using these products because they will take away any protection. :slight_smile:

The Rustler:
Has any-one got any advice on removing old stickers from a metal tool box … managed to peel some off - but there is still some of the old glue remaining.
Some-one suggested “warming” them with a hairdryer first to soften the glue :question:
Didn’t know if this was right forum … Mods will no doubt move it :slight_smile:

Buy a new sticker and place it over the glue residue.
Failing that ,buy a new toolbox . . . . (Viz “top tips” circa 1990)

JoeG:

how the hell did you find that out ? :grimacing:

Lycanthrope:

JoeG:

Why not just “rub off” . . . save yourself the price of a pot of mayo :confused:

Lycanthrope:

JoeG:

I was told by someone at work. She found out somehow, by being told by someone else i think. But it has been used to get glue residue off the awning windows at work aswell as other things.
Just be careful when squirting it onto a truck, people walking past and seeing white stuff dribbling down the side might get the wrong idea :laughing: