Refuelling at tocos and the like

How many of you fill up at supermarkets and petrol stations? the reason im asking I ll be hiring an 18 tonner curtainsider on odd days and I usually fill a merc sprinter(no height issues),are all canopies a standard height? do the attendants get the hump?

Been a while but I once tried to fuel up at Tesco in Hull and they refused to turn the pump on.

Some filling stations get more HGV than others, Morrisons at Maldon have loads that fill up there but most of the other supermarkets around here it’s rare.

There’s a lowloader OD who fills his up at Sainsburys in Chelmsford, with trailer and sometimes load :laughing:

When I used to work out of Basildon driving an 8w beavertail I was midway between Sainsburys and Tesco and had an Allstar card so used to alternate to max out points on both, the Sainsburys one was usually quite busy with big stuff in the morning.

Canopies are not standard height though and some can be quite low, presumably why most petrol tanker units have low cabs. For reasons unknown many of the canopy heights are only marked in metric which is weird as we are governed by an imperial systems for heights.

Ive actually worked for haulage companies that will ONLY fill up at supermarkets… one in particular the boss would send you all up the filling station, then pay for each waggon cash as it was filled! :laughing: :laughing:

B…

Bungle666:
Ive actually worked for haulage companies that will ONLY fill up at supermarkets… one in particular the boss would send you all up the filling station, then pay for each waggon cash as it was filled! :laughing: :laughing:

B…

Now that’s flash :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

brados:

Bungle666:

B…

More like dodgy… :laughing: :laughing:

B…

i use morissons all the time, quite a few have dedicated HGV lanes

governed by imperial
I’m new to transport every bit of legislation as been
in metric
loads always tonnes and loading metres
dimensions metres
trailer sizes up to 4.2 metres metric then for
obscure reason imperial eg 15 6"

have had to drop trailers to use some Shell sites
when on for Brits

The law is the in cab hight marking must be shown in feet and inches.

Distances and heights, widths, lengths etc on road signs must be marked in imperial, both can be used but not solely metric. Occasionally you may see an official sign in metric only where the council has screwed up. Basildon put up a load about 12 years ago until someone pointed it out to them, they had to send a bloke round covering them up with spray paint until they were replaced.

Basildon: Metric road signs blunder
From the archive, first published Friday 2nd Aug 2002.

A council officer has told how he tours the district armed with a can of spray-paint to black out illegal metric road signs.

Basildon Council - which admits the signs it put up are unlawful - doesn’t have the money available to replace them, so it paints over them.

But the authority says it has no idea at the moment how much the spray-painting and sign replacements will cost taxpayers, although it will be “employing the most cost-effective means possible”.

The work is being carried out by Public Rights of Way Officer, Terry Buck who said: "We appreciate the signs are wrong. We will eventually replace the signs with new ones.

"Unfortunately the funding is not there at the moment and we will have to do a costing on all the signs we need.

“We don’t have a map to tell us where they are, so I carry a can of paint around with me so I can spray them as I see them.”

A spokesman for Basildon Council said: “At the present time we have no idea what the overall costs will be, but we will be employing the most cost effective means possible.”

Published Friday August 2, 2002

Brought to you by the Evening Echo

WTF is a tocos?

I fuel at fuel stations, not at food.

:unamused:

8wheels:
Distances and heights, widths, lengths etc on road signs must be marked in imperial, both can be used but not solely metric. Occasionally you may see an official sign in metric only where the council has screwed up. Basildon put up a load about 12 years ago until someone pointed it out to them, they had to send a bloke round covering them up with spray paint until they were replaced.

Surely it would’ve been better to leave the metric ones up until a replacement arrived, rather than just cover them up completely.

Better to have people thinking they’re coming up to a 4’ bridge than taking the top off on a 12’ bridge they didn’t know was there!

At least for once the driver wouldn’t get the blame!

urbanfox:

8wheels:

Surely it would’ve been better to leave the metric ones up until a replacement arrived, rather than just cover them up completely.

Better to have people thinking they’re coming up to a 4’ bridge than taking the top off on a 12’ bridge they didn’t know was there!

As I recall it was more metres instead of yards underneath triangle warning signs , or something similar where the difference between the two doesn’t really matter. 30m = 33 yrds not really worth the fuss, but someone spotted it and accused them of metrication by the back door. But yes you are right it would have, think they were trying to prove that they were doing something.

waynedl:
WTF is a tocos?

+1

Bungle666:

brados:

Bungle666:

B…

More like dodgy… :laughing: :laughing:

B…

Ive worked with a bloke in leeds who does the same. … then hands over his points card.