Reefer settings

How many different temperatures in a reefer have you hauled ?
These are the ones I can remember, (except potatoes as it’s been a while).
I also did a shift for B&Q Wincanton on the flowers ages ago, but have forgot what that setting was too.
Please add more, as I’m curious as to what gets moved about on set temperatures.

Bananas +15
Potatoes +7 (I think, can’t remember so stand to be corrected)
Produce +5
Chill +2
Frozen -25

It doesn’t seem to just depend on the product it also seems to depend on the customer too. I’ve done frozen loads from varying temps from -18 to -25 then chilled has varying temps too from +1 to +5. I remember doing bananas too but at +14.

Yep me too Dafmad.
I collected mushrooms one day, set it at +2 as advised on collection note.
When loaded, the chap handed me my lines and then reset the fridge to +3. :confused:

Hatching eggs - +16
Day old Chicks - +22-25

Though Lorry has fans forcing air around body etc!

Sid :slight_smile:

+25 carrying ADR

that is when you don’t want some one switching the motor off

it can be quite a problem, there is quite a different range of temps for all products. however the temps i use are for my job are …fresh meat chickens ect 0 salad stuff and and all the stuff you buy in a chill from a supermarket +3 however toms, peppers spuds cucumbers up to +10 its a problem…the most important thing is meat and fish thats got to be right…the rest of the stuff including eggs bananas + 10 to 15 . the bottom line is fresh meat and fish…needs to be + 0

Its true about different customers wanting different settings for the same product…I deliver chicken from 3 different factories , one wants it set at 0 , then -3 for the next one and finally -5 for the last…thinks its all to do how warm the birds are after being killed and packed before loading.
Most places I deliver into have a tolerance of -4 to +4 for poultry so dont get many problems over temperature…half of them dont even check it.

I was surprised at having to carry fresh grapes at +1, mind you love eating ice cold grapes so was in heaven with that load… :blush: :blush:

if im empty my chicken salad in my lunchbx likes it between 0 and +5

Blocks of ice, from London, Ontario to Lake Louise, Alberta, minus 10. but it was minus 30 outside anyway.

When you guy’s have frozen good’s on overnight do you have to leave the Fridge motor running ? if so where do find to park as lots of Cafes and Truckstops ask for them to be turned of after 10pm. Are there any that will let you run the Fridge run over night ?

used to collect bananas from geest at stansted and it was always +14.
this helps them ripen i believe.
drop them back at the depot ( which was chilled) and then they would be reloaded onto other trailers with all the other fruit and veg and delivered to the stores at +3.

used to collect eggs from various locations in a dry box. then they would get delivered by dry box to the stores. then my wife would buy them and put em in the fridge :exclamation:

Well in Canada and the USA they don’t even turn the engine off, let alone the fridge, although I do believe that’s changing, Wire or Newmercman will put us right on that I’m sure, not forgetting Bob the Dog of course.

M G b:
When you guy’s have frozen good’s on overnight do you have to leave the Fridge motor running ? if so where do find to park as lots of Cafes and Truckstops ask for them to be turned of after 10pm. Are there any that will let you run the Fridge run over night ?

I don’t know how long the modern reefers will hold their temp for when switch off, as I’m on same day deliveries and have never tramped with one. Obviously a chill load will fair better than a frozen one in this country if left off.
Give that some truckstops allocate separate parking for reefers my guess is the trampers do have to keep them running overnight.
Hopefully a multi-temp tramper will be along shortly to explain all.

if you carry ice cream you cannot switch it off,it has to be constant(so i’m told)

but what some do on other frozen foodstuffs overnight is whack the temp upto -29 then just before you goto bed knock it off :wink:

dieseldog6:
Blocks of ice, from London, Ontario to Lake Louise, Alberta, minus 10. but it was minus 30 outside anyway.

So you had to have special oven-trailer instead of fridge one? :slight_smile: