Reefer question

Noticed today a company saying it can carry goods at “ambient” temp, and wondered does a reefer have the ability also to keep a truck warm/hot should the need arrise then by flicking a switch?

If so how hot can they get■■?

does ambient not mean they just switched off the fridge

merc0447:

room temp isn it?? but just wondered anyway can trucks be kept hot as well as apposed to kept cool?

Just one of those curious question…

merc0447:

yea ambient is still kinda chilled but not like a freezer.

I think when they say ambient, they mean something between 3 and 15 degrees.

Most of the fridges out of Spalding run produce at 3, 5, 8 ,11 degrees ish. I’m unsure of exactly how ‘warm’ a fridge will run at, but adjustment is simply altering the setpoint on the fridge control panel.

SETPOINT LIMIT HIGH
The Setpoint Limit High allows the upper setpoint limit to be set to a maximum of 90°F (32°C) in one degree increments. The minimum setting available is determined by the setting of Setpoint Limit Low.

SETPOINT LIMIT LOW
The Setpoint Limit Low allows the lower setpoint limit to be set to a minimum of -20°F (-29°C) in one degree increments. The maximum setting available is determined by the setting of Setpoint Limit High.

i used to run at +14 with bananas

biggusdickusgb:

That sounds a bit PRATTish :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

biggusdickusgb:

:laughing: :laughing: i think its about time you got out more rog :laughing: :laughing:

biggusdickusgb:

ROG:

biggusdickusgb:

:laughing: :laughing: i think its about time you got out more rog :laughing: :laughing:

it’s alright i think he just woke up from his mid afternoon sleep, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pecjam23:

merc0447:

room temp isn it?? but just wondered anyway can trucks be kept hot as well as apposed to kept cool?

Just one of those curious question…

I take ambient to mean surrounding temp as long as its above chilled temp and not too hot. Most fridge trailers can heat trailers to far as I know and are used to transport plants for instance.

I believe that ambient simply means non temperature controlled such as any goods generally carried on tauts etc. The term ambient normally applies to foodstuffs.

As someone who works in temperature controlled transport, we have had a few disasters with fridges set at +25C instead on -25C. Not good if you have a full load of ice cream on board :frowning: :frowning:

However, our fridges are modified to now run only between -22C and +6C so as to minimise problems with incorrect temperature settings.

And we don’t carry bananas :sunglasses:

pecjam23:
reefer question

I though it was a spliff question :astonished:

biggusdickusgb:

i know with the amount of posts in 18 months i think he should get an allotment.

i know with the amount of posts in 18 months i think he should get an allotment

Or a job! :slight_smile:

We have 2 compartments in our fridges,the length of the trailer,(as opposed to the width),the larger side2/3,normally chilled,2 deg,and the smaller side1/3 frozen-25.If there is a door on the large side,(as some do)it theoretically gives us three claases,ambient,chilled and frozen.Confuses the fridge motor though.God help us if it`s a Carrier!

We used to do a Reefer containers for Fortnum & Mason Hampers that were being sent out to the far east…the Temperature was always set at +20 degrees,so I assume it would be the same for a reefer trailer.
I saw a Fowler Welch Fridge picking up ambient goods at Confreight in Laindon Last week too. :smiley:

ambient in a fridge is just fridge off and to answer a question most fridges can sustain +25 to-25 thats why when you see fowler welch ambient they are pulling tautliners

For a fridge to go over ambent outside temp it would need to be fit with Heaters. Then may draw to much power

I was collecting a load of mushrooms from Drem the other week. Set the fridge to +2. When the guy came out with my collection notes he reset it to +3. :confused: Another disaster prevented. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

johnharry:
For a fridge to go over ambent outside temp it would need to be fit with Heaters. Then may draw to much power

It is, which is why they are capable of running at +25, although, I would assume that the ‘heat’ is actually drawn from the engine cooling system.

Thinking back to the debacle on the M11 a few years ago, where the HA ‘neglected’ to treat the carriageway and scores of people were stranded, a few empty reefers (and a stock of pallets) could have been used to keep the stranded motorists warm and comfortable(ish), providing a door was left open. :wink: