Reefers- temps a bit of a box ticking exercise

Do you find disparities with the temps that produce/cargo is subject to around the logistics sector? We know at the needle tip, entering RDCs the temp can be a make or break for load acceptance, but a fine point temp load can find its way into a generic temp warehouse. I’ve often seen so called chilled loads sitting in near ambient conditions in transient warehouses.

Yes there’s lots of disparity. A lot of it is to do with food kidology, and the idea that chilled is fresh. Remember the fiasco that was “Sunny D”, the fresh juice ? Sold in retail, and transported as chill. Never needed chilling at all.
How come every fridge i have has egg trays, i’ve never seen eggs transported in a reefer?

Mike-C:
Yes there’s lots of disparity. A lot of it is to do with food kidology, and the idea that chilled is fresh. Remember the fiasco that was “Sunny D”, the fresh juice ? Sold in retail, and transported as chill. Never needed chilling at all.
How come every fridge i have has egg trays, i’ve never seen eggs transported in a reefer?

Eggs shouldn’t be kept in the fridge, and indeed refrigerating eggs before they reach the consumer is illegal in Europe. What the consumer does then is up to them but there is no need to refrigerate them, as this link explains. forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumug … ice-versa/

switchlogic:

Mike-C:

Eggs shouldn’t be kept in the fridge, and indeed refrigerating eggs before they reach the consumer is illegal in Europe. What the consumer does then is up to them but there is no need to refrigerate them, as this link explains. forbes.com/sites/nadiaarumug … ice-versa/

I’m aware of that thanks Luke, i was just referring really to the whole kidology over chilling stuff, in the eggs case its arse about face (regarding transport).
Other stuff, just how chilled does vaccum pack have to be? You could go on. And we probably will :smiley:

Mike-C:

I deliver eggs in a fridge most days,the only thing that get me is they put a warning DO NOT PLACE ANY ThiNG ON TOP OF THIS CONTAINER and they put trays full of swedes,fruit etc,it must cost a bomb in damaged eggs but they continue too do it :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: ,maybe they use them for scrambled eggs in the restaurants ,who knows

To be honest after spending most of my driving career pulling fridges I dont see much of what is being said. Very few loads are a ‘fine point’ temp and are rather an acceptable range. Therefore going into a one temp warehouse isn’t an issue. And remember on stop start setting a fridge at 0c means 0c to 2c or on some fridges 3c. The only loads I carry that are very temperature sensitive are things like pharmaceuticals, some hazardous loads and bananas. Thats about it. So no, I dont really see a problem to be honest.

Didn’t know that about eggs. Why does my box of Tesco eggs have “refrigrate after purchase” printed on the side of the box, if it’s even illegal to transport them chilled in Europe?

Freight Dog:
Didn’t know that about eggs. Why does my box of Tesco eggs have “refrigrate after purchase” printed on the side of the box, if it’s even illegal to transport them chilled in Europe?

Cant say Ive ever seen that on an egg box. But then Ive not really read one. To the pantry (food cupboard). But like I say there really is no need to chill eggs.

Yes, my egg box says same. Although like that article points out the reason for not chilling eggs this side of the pond is because they aren’t washed, and changing temp, ie from warehouse to truck to store to car, could create condensation on the eggs allowing disease to get in

Tony di Angeli years ago on the Jimmy Young program was asked why do we keep eggs in the fridge when they’re at room temp in the supermarket. He said the best temp for eggs was room temperature, but what they really don’t like is fluctuating temperature, which is what your average kitchen will be like. So the best place to keep your eggs is in the fridge. Not as good as room temp but at least it’s constant.

I try to keep all my eggs in one basket tbh.

I’ve loaded eggs out of Peebles for Robbie burns and I’m sure they wanted the fridge set at +12.

Re: temps - first agency run I did at co-op Alfreton; given a 2 minute talk through the POD’s. Supervisor says ‘write down your temp reading there’ I asked where I could find that out, he says “it’s plus 2” :slight_smile:

Similar scenario when on fridge/frozen for Hays out of Bardon!

switchlogic:
To be honest after spending most of my driving career pulling fridges I dont see much of what is being said. Very few loads are a ‘fine point’ temp and are rather an acceptable range. Therefore going into a one temp warehouse isn’t an issue. And remember on stop start setting a fridge at 0c means 0c to 2c or on some fridges 3c. The only loads I carry that are very temperature sensitive are things like pharmaceuticals, some hazardous loads and bananas. Thats about it. So no, I dont really see a problem to be honest.

I would add fresh chicken and fresh fish to that. I remember a guy in Spain who could tell if you had had the fridge on auto by the state of the ice in the fish boxes. If the ice wasn’t right the fish would make a lower price in the auction.

the maoster:

eggcellent advice!

instantKarma:

the maoster:

eggcellent advice!

Is that to keep them in eggcellent condition.

And before anyone adds their bit I think that this is getting eggstremely silly now.

Oh you guys crack me up with your silly yolks.

Let’s not ovary act to this by becoming too eggstatic. Robert :slight_smile:

Eggcellent. Crack on everyone. :stuck_out_tongue: