Redundant!

Well, after a record breaking year at my company where we made our parent company over £11m in profit it was announced on Tuesday that they will be making 1000 people throughout the country redundant. This will affect our office in Hull where almost 400 people are out of work with the remaining 600 to be spread out over Welcome Car Finance. I’m now on a 30 day consultation period as we will be sized down from 9 drivers to 5. I’ve been there 5 years and am the longest serving of all our drivers having been there practically since the company opened it’s doors. However, i’m not going to go through the consultation period as i’ve basically told them to ram it as they now want us to interview for the 5 remaining jobs and tell them why they think we are good enough to stay!!

Not for me guys, come next Monday starting a new job with a Glasgow based Car Transport firm, 5 years down the toilet as it’s unlikely i’ll receive a redundancy package as i’ve been told I cannot take vouluntary redundancy unless I stay until the end of the 30 day consultation period. Unfortunately my new employer needs me to start asap. Getting an 07 plate Renault Premium Transporter Engineering 11+ and over 41k per ann so can’t really complain and cant pass it up. I’m also going to be getting the chance to be home at night more often.

I’ll post some pics of my new rig soon and will let you know how it goes…

At least you got another job without being out of work, sounds like a good job as well mate, shame about the redundancy though, best of luck

tony_soprano1980:
Well, after a record breaking year at my company where we made our parent company over £11m in profit it was announced on Tuesday that they will be making 1000 people throughout the country redundant. This will affect our office in Hull where almost 400 people are out of work with the remaining 600 to be spread out over Welcome Car Finance. I’m now on a 30 day consultation period as we will be sized down from 9 drivers to 5. I’ve been there 5 years and am the longest serving of all our drivers having been there practically since the company opened it’s doors. However, i’m not going to go through the consultation period as i’ve basically told them to ram it as they now want us to interview for the 5 remaining jobs and tell them why they think we are good enough to stay!!

Not for me guys, come next Monday starting a new job with a Glasgow based Car Transport firm, 5 years down the toilet as it’s unlikely i’ll receive a redundancy package as i’ve been told I cannot take vouluntary redundancy unless I stay until the end of the 30 day consultation period. Unfortunately my new employer needs me to start asap. Getting an 07 plate Renault Premium Transporter Engineering 11+ and over 41k per ann so can’t really complain and cant pass it up. I’m also going to be getting the chance to be home at night more often.

I’ll post some pics of my new rig soon and will let you know how it goes…

can you not take them to court for constructive dismissal?
i know ,once you have been at a company for two years plus,that company must follow certain procedures,yes they gave you 30 days notice,but having to interview for your own job?.
i would contact your union,or amicus for advice.
p.s.have you had an eleven plus before?
if not,and you need to know anything just ask.
you can also go onto transporter engineering website,and download the loading sequence of the eleven plus,in pdf format.it works out at a 42 page booklet full of useful info on the working of one.i found it very helpful.

Hi Buck

I’m not going to bother with any of that i’d rather just cut my losses with Welcome and move on. Also, I’ve got experience on the 11+ but thanks for the offer anyway, it’s been almost a year since i’ve driven one but i’ll pick it up again after a day or so…