Reclaiming VAT on fuel bought in Europe

If I were to take my Peterbilt, which is a Private HGV, to collect some machinery from Bavaria, for my own personal use, can I reclaim the VAT on the fuel bought enroute? and if I could, how easy would it be?

most people use an agent to collect their foreign VAT (usually recommended by their fuel card) but it can be done by a savvy UK accountant or yourself if you dont mind doing the paperwork (and translating it) I’d go the agent route personally.

I think Private and Personal are the answer to this question

Easy enough, I mean they won’t know it was a private trip will they? :wink: :smiley:

Best way is to get an agent to claim it for you as there are numerous forms to fill in, in the language of the country involved. The Agent will typically take around 10% of the amount you get back as their fee. There are plenty of them about, a firm down in Kent called Quipsound are one,I used then for a while and they were okay. I only switched to a Danish firm because it was better with my Euroshell card.

Be warned though for Belgium the agent will need a Power of Attorney from you, the Belgian VAT authorities insist on it. Last time I got mine for Belgium it cost me about £70, which might not make it worth doing as it could wipe out most of the VAT you would be getting back from there. The German and Luxembourg authorities don’t require one so it would be better to fuel there.

The truck holds just under 2000 litres so fueling in Germany won’t be a problem. I don’t hold an International O’ licence, this of course does not mater as the trip will be for Personal use however, would this cause a problem on the VAT front? Foreign fuel is on a par with UK fuel if I can’t get the VAT back.
At UK prices I estimate the trip to cost around £850 in fuel, (£127 in VAT) which with the £500 ferry crossing increases the machinery price some what.

I dont recall, from when I did it,anybody asking to see an “O” Licence just a V.A.T registration no. & 3 vat 66 certificates (and the power of attorney)

That sounds like it might be a runner then. Thanks

:smiley: Might be worthwhile getting a letter typed in various languges stating that its a private trip Tramper. The old bill may not fully unerstand or acknowledge your lack of permit etc.Also check your in surance carefully matey. :smiley:

Never had to show my O Licence for foreign VAT reclamation. as Jonah says you need a VAT 66 form for each country you are claiming back from and they will prove you are VAT registered. In the “Nature of Activity” section on the form it will state your business is either “Transport of Goods” or “Other Freight Transport by Road.” That will be all they need to see.

When you do need VAT 66 forms just drop an email to vat66@hmce.gsi.gov.uk asking for how many the agent has asked you to get and you’ll get them within a day or two.

:smiley: I was thinking more about a roadside check neil :smiley:

afterthought … if it’s a private trip does he get away without paying the Maut ■■ :open_mouth:

I’ve never been asked in a roadside check if I’m claiming the VAT back. No idea on the MAUT…

Coffeeholic:
I’ve never been asked in a roadside check if I’m claiming the VAT back. No idea on the MAUT…

Me neither but I have been asked for my permit :smiley:

I just noticed your other post up the page. You must have posted that as I was typing my reply to tramper. I meant I had never had to show my O licence to claim back VAT. Your advice re a letter is spot on I would say, they will go through it with a fine tooth comb if he is stopped and has no permit. Nothing wrong in what he is doing, they will just be very suspicious.

Coffeeholic:
they will go through it with a fine tooth comb if he is stopped and has no permit. Nothing wrong in what he is doing, they will just be very suspicious.

“und so Eeenglishman vye haf you no permitz”

The Germans suspicious :open_mouth: Surely not :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

When pulling exhibtion roadshow trailers we carried letters explaining what they were and hence why no CMR. Also ATA not TIR etc saved me a few quid many times :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

A national O licence would be ok in this case

it’s stated in the first few pages of each edition of A & D

A Standard National (S/N) licence allows the licence holder to carry both his own goods and goods for other people for hire or reward, on public roads in Great Britain. He can also carry his own goods on journeys abroad;

That’s true Denis what he is doing is perfectly legal. However if stopped in a control Tramper won’t be able to produce a Community Authorisation, which will make them more ‘interested’ in him, so any documentation he has that shows they are his own goods will help.

Coffeeholic:
That’s true Denis what he is doing is perfectly legal. However if stopped in a control Tramper won’t be able to produce a Community Authorisation, which will make them more ‘interested’ in him, so any documentation he has that shows they are his own goods will help.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

think I might have missed the point there :laughing: :laughing:

I blame the bad leg - distracting my little grey cells :wink: