Recession a convenient excuse

Am I the only one on here who thinks the recession is over, but is still being used as an excuse to keep us in our places, we are getting drivers on here when discussing wage rates, blindly repeating what most of our bosses are saying about crap wages,ie if you don,t like it leave etc, and they can,t afford to pay proper rates due to “the recession” . I,m not an expert on the economy by any means, but when I go to Asda with the wife it,s always full of people buying like it,s going out of style, and the same story in all the city centre outlets,and holidays are the normal price, surely they would be rock bottom if nobody could afford them, also property seems to be being bought and sold, so how much longer can it be used as a convenient excuse for us not getting a pay raise .

For as long as they can get away with it :slight_smile:

robroy:
Am I the only one on here who thinks the recession is over, but is still being used as an excuse to keep us in our places, we are getting drivers on here when discussing wage rates, blindly repeating what most of our bosses are saying about crap wages,ie if you don,t like it leave etc, and they can,t afford to pay proper rates due to “the recession” . I,m not an expert on the economy by any means, but when I go to Asda with the wife it,s always full of people buying like it,s going out of style, and the same story in all the city centre outlets,and holidays are the normal price, surely they would be rock bottom if nobody could afford them, also property seems to be being bought and sold, so how much longer can it be used as a convenient excuse for us not getting a pay raise .

i said a month or two ago, ive not even noticed a recession,we go down the pub when we want,go out for meals when we want,booked 2 /2 week holidays abroad, new car, furniture,mind im lucky as im in a secure job so i cant pretty much spend as and when we want as were gar a wage every ,same as girlfreind :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Recession?What recession?Can’t speak for anyone else,but I’ve hardly noticed this supposed recession,there’s been no redundancys at our mob,the opposite in fact,they’ve been expanding quite a lot recently,the new trucks and trailers keep turning up,wages have gone down a bit but with the way fuel has been going up it wasn’t really a suprise,and they’re still good enough to live comfortably off.I live on my own so only have the one wage to rely on,but yeah,what recession?

TezzDemon:
Recession?What recession?Can’t speak for anyone else,but I’ve hardly noticed this supposed recession,there’s been no redundancys at our mob,the opposite in fact,they’ve been expanding quite a lot recently,the new trucks and trailers keep turning up,wages have gone down a bit but with the way fuel has been going up it wasn’t really a suprise,and they’re still good enough to live comfortably off.I live on my own so only have the one wage to rely on,but yeah,what recession?

"Wages have gone down a bit " :laughing:

somerset bus driver:

TezzDemon:

And he’s happy to accept that!

I just left a job where I was knocked a £25 weekly ‘attendance bonus’ for not collecting a small cheque from a customer… they got it the day after.

The owner still has TWO Bentleys, and still pays crap wages, and all the boys can say is “What can you do, there’s a recession!”
If the company or wages are crap…WALK, or nothing will change.

mickfly:

somerset bus driver:

TezzDemon:

I just left a job where I was knocked a £25 weekly ‘attendance bonus’ for not collecting a small cheque from a customer… they got it the day after.

The owner still has TWO Bentleys, and still pays crap wages, and all the boys can say is “What can you do, there’s a recession!”
If the company or wages are crap…WALK, or nothing will change.

Both comments spot on…The only thing I’ve noticed about a recession is wages going down and employers using it as an excuse. And I’ve set myself some targets to start looking for alternative work and give up my HGV licence. It’s a shame other drivers don’t have the ■■■■■■■■ to do the same…but there’s already another thread for that.

And like I said in the other thread - that’s exactly what I did for 10 years. And now, 10 years later I’m back - coz there’s not a lot out there that meets the “perfect job” criteria. So I guess I’ll have to join all the brainless, ■■■■-scared morons who move goods around :smiling_imp:

ady1:

robroy:

i said a month or two ago, ive not even noticed a recession,we go down the pub when we want,go out for meals when we want,booked 2 /2 week holidays abroad, new car, furniture,mind im lucky as im in a secure job so i cant pretty much spend as and when we want as were gar a wage every ,same as girlfreind :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Bollox you are! :laughing:

mickfly:

somerset bus driver:

TezzDemon:

Not that it matters but yes I am happy to accept them going down a bit,seeing as how I was on good money anyway and am still comfortable it’s not a problem that they have dropped slightly,I’ve gone from better than average wages to slightly better than average wages for what I do,so to kick off over it would seem quite childish given the bigger picture :unamused: especially as how the local alternatives would see me worse off.I’m on percentage earnings,so my wages are usually as good as I make them,crack on and I’m all good,toss it off and I lose out.I know the company has had to cut the rates on some of the jobs I do to keep the work,so to be right I can live with a slight cut if it means we keep the work therefore keeping me in a job.And whilst my wages may have gone down slightly,the perks and reasonable security that come with my job more than make up for it :sunglasses:

It is measured on the GDP & if that dont go down it not good atm it is quite high but this government was going to reduce it by a lot more that is why they made so many cuts

TBH as I am on the sick wages arent my concern but was told by more than 1 person just over a year ago that £ 6.00 ph was a very good wage :unamused: then what chance do I have

animal:
TBH as I am on the sick wages arent my concern but was told by more than 1 person just over a year ago that £ 6.00 ph was a very good wage :unamused: then what chance do I have

That is an awful wage for driving a truck :open_mouth: but then I think I’d still work for that rather than claim dole

TezzDemon:

animal:

That is an awful wage for driving a truck :open_mouth: but then I think I’d still work for that rather than claim dole

Well I wasnt impressed when they said that ( & 1 of them is a driver )

That is what is offered in the North East

Many companies are happy with the attitude that “I am happy as i’m in a job paying poor rates” so I can only presume they will never raise them.

Oh, yeah, they will have to from 1st October as the minimum wage rises from £5.93 to £6.08 :sunglasses:

One tactic I have found with a local company is by coming down very hard in disciplinary over drivers who are on the higher wage and those on the lower wage staying put…

Then again, now I’m out of Buses I think I prefer to be in general haulage rather than passenger transport.

somerset bus driver:

TezzDemon:

Indeed… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

most company’s are jumping on the reccession bad waggon.£a$$tards