Pay rises/recession

one of our lads was saying he had to go to a meeting about a pay rise in not to distant future,i was under the impression the recession was about over ,if not over, hes on about asking for silly things like a cut in the waiting time for sick pay of 1 month to 2 weeks :unamused: :unamused: , i said get money on the basic stuff the rest[1 month,2 weeks ,whats the difference],but he said we have to tread very carefully,things arnt good out there.
at what stage will we be able to ask for a decent pay rise, listening to him well never get away from £7.00 p.h for years,this recession cant last for ever,these comittee blokes seem to be playing into company hands, if you dont ask you dont get :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

So, stand for the commitee yourself.

del949:
So, stand for the committee yourself

+1 It was always the same. Those standing on the sidelines, think that they can do better ,than those in the firing line.

Anyone thinking that this recession is anywhere near over must be living in LaLaLnd. It is a matter of counting yourself lucky, if you manage to hang on to what you have got. That is not being a defeatist. It is being a realist.

The Country may be technically out of recession but things are still bad and likely to remain so for some time yet.

del949:
So, stand for the commitee yourself.

its a closed shop,doesnt matter,or doesnt seem to matter how many vote for a certain person/persons, the same drivers always seem to end up on it. :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

closed shops have been illegal for a long time.If you don’t want to belong to a union NO-ONE can make you join.

if the same guys get voted in , it must be because they get most votes…i.e. most voters think that they are doing a good job(or at least a least worse job).
If you don’t think they are, go to a meeting and call for a vote of confidence.

If you are convinced that you can do a better job, talk to your workmates and build up support then challenge for the post.

Doing wage talks has to be the worst job ever for a driver, mainly because all those on the outside WILL know better how to do it but none will stand up and actually do it.

In general I agree with your point regarding pay claims, I also think that side issues and benefits should be put on the side line and the major push should be for £’s on the basic rate…but, and its a big but, pay deals in the present climate are extremely difficult to achieve. If you can get inflation then you’re doing OK. So most negoitiators are seeking to improve fringe benefits at the same time to try and construct a reasonable package.
The bottom line comes to this… are you and your workmates prepared to threaten (and deliver) a full blown strike?
Because thats the only real bargaining chip your team has to bargain with.
There are very few drivers who would be prepared to threaten (let alone deliver) strike action in todays climate.

Just had a 6% pay rise which was totally unexpected - Boss said it was a just reward for all the graft we’ve put in over the last year :smiley:

I wonder if there is a conspiracy on drivers wages! Everything without question gets transported at some stage by a truck. Therefore it goes without saying that you put our wages up and the cost of everything has to rise, which in turn would make everyone want a payrise to pay for the goods that are now more expensive putting us back to square one! Wish I knew the answer to the problem of crappy wages for such a demanding job.

we hada bit of a rise
but the work is still not there