Credit Crunch Or Not

Well I don’t know about anyone else but we are very quiet at the moment on the container front now on mi travels I seem to be bumping into more drivers telling tales of lay offs cutbacks etc etc.

From my own point of view my gaffer seems to not too perturbed by by the state of things.

What changes are you noticing in the your own workplace if any …OR is the credit crunch just a self serving prophecy where we have talked ourselves into believing there is a recesion around the next corner.

being back on agency it’s been quite i’m just gettin some work after regersting with 4 agency’s and waiting over a week. Hope something doe’s change

We are in for a massive recession. The construction industry is leading the “domino tumble” but house prices are collapsing, unemployment is rising, factory gate prices are up by 30%…

Harry Monk:
We are in for a massive recession. The construction industry is leading the “domino tumble” but house prices are collapsing, unemployment is rising, factory gate prices are up by 30%…

and my signature has not changed :cry: :cry:

Don’t worry ROG, we’ll all be on the dole by Christmas! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Harry Monk:

I think they are valid points and if we cast our minds back a few years there does seem to be some paralells to the time when the conservative goverment created a climate of false growth which in turn led to black wednesday and mass home reposessions and negative equity due to the fact that falsley inflated property prices were the catalyst for the whole pack of cards to tumble.

I am not making any political point other than it seems to me that any Goverment eventually leads to economic downturn in short the honeymoon years have to be paid for some how , and we are now paying for the early labour years and its costly support of the US on the worlds stage.

Anthony Barber, Norman Lamont, Gordon Brown, they all said “No return to Boom and Bust”.

“It’s different this time”

And they were all liars. Our whole economy works on the “Boom and Bust” principle.

Over the next few years, we are all deep in the doggie doo-doo.

Overtime on my job usually tails off from the start of October.Was told today . . . no overtime from Sept 1st
Ho hum :cry:

I see the bottle is half empty today Harry :wink:

thecoder0:
What changes are you noticing in the your own workplace if any …

Mileage allowance gone.
Fuel bonus coming in (for good MPG).
Early finishes…i.e. less hours.

:laughing: credit crunch or not…i’m still doing ok meself,delivering 5/6 days a week to building sites/merchants etc,don’t get me wrong the fuel escalation in the last year or so has really dented profits,along with ever increasing legislation,but somehow you just keep going,as long as i can pay me morgage,see me kids and come home to a fantastic wife at the end of every week,i’ll be mr positive!!!come on cheer up you lot…if your healthy and able,your’e made…

work for a haulier whos part of a certain pallet network.
i,d say in the last few weeks, our throughput (all local drops) has dropped by around 30%.
wagons going out half empty.

Finishing work a lot earlier and it’s supposed to be peak time for brewery transport…
Yeah finishing early is good but really it’s not that good as you can see the buisness taking a massive hit…
Other depots are already seeing layoffs and in some cases in the past , closure.
I can see redunancies in burton next year if christmas is flat…

We used to sub out work, we no longer do this and we have found backloads drying up ourselves.

Our bread 'n butter work is for the construction industry and our main customer, a concrete lintel manufacturer has seen output drop by 50% and has made many redundancies with more to come.

andy bilton:
:lol: credit crunch or not…i’m still doing ok meself,delivering 5/6 days a week to building sites/merchants etc,don’t get me wrong the fuel escalation in the last year or so has really dented profits,along with ever increasing legislation,but somehow you just keep going,as long as i can pay me morgage,see me kids and come home to a fantastic wife at the end of every week,i’ll be mr positive!!!come on cheer up you lot…if your healthy and able,your’e made…

I like upbeat posts like this. Whilst you’re feeling so up beat, my kids have left home and all have jobs, my mortgage is paid and my wages is beer money (or for other things!). You could say i’m at the stage where i take more notice of my doctor than the chancellor !!! There ya go,lets not talk ourselves into a recession hey !!

Mike-C:

andy bilton:
:lol: credit crunch or not…i’m still doing ok meself,delivering 5/6 days a week to building sites/merchants etc,don’t get me wrong the fuel escalation in the last year or so has really dented profits,along with ever increasing legislation,but somehow you just keep going,as long as i can pay me morgage,see me kids and come home to a fantastic wife at the end of every week,i’ll be mr positive!!!come on cheer up you lot…if your healthy and able,your’e made…

I like upbeat posts like this. Whilst you’re feeling so up beat, my kids have left home and all have jobs, my mortgage is paid and my wages is beer money (or for other things!). You could say i’m at the stage where i take more notice of my doctor than the chancellor !!! There ya go,lets not talk ourselves into a recession hey !!

Similar situation here as well just about to loose the last of the kids to Liverpool University this september

Although I think I could maybe see the doc a bit more often im piling weight on (Container driver) and mi blood pressure is a constant 149-110 not good and more aches and pains than the parson can preach about…I honestly think the job may be killing me physically and mentally if not finanacially :cry:

thecoder0:

Mike-C:

andy bilton:

Similar situation here as well just about to loose the last of the kids to Liverpool University this september

Although I think I could maybe see the doc a bit more often im piling weight on (Container driver) and mi blood pressure is a constant 149-110 not good and more aches and pains than the parson can preach about…I honestly think the job may be killing me physically and mentally if not finanacially :cry:

There’s an answer for that Dave, and i’m not being glib when i say it. Its diet. I mean what you eat and not the quantity. You have loads of salt or summat? That leads to high BP and fluid retention?

Harry Monk:
Don’t worry ROG, we’ll all be on the dole by Christmas! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yippee! A wage rise for me then! :wink: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

second time ive read this from you harry. Hopefully not a repeat of the '80’s

Our firms not doing too bad, we import/export good to europe mainly Italy and France, we’re a U.K branch of the company using only uk drivers/trucks, and to be honest the firms that are making goods to export or bringing into the U.K are donig quite well (some engineering firms too).

A certain tractor plant in Basildon is doing very well, thye cant churn out enough tractors! and there is plenty of container drivers going in and out of there too.

My uncle works for a container firm, (white motors cant remember who it is, will update if i remember!) when they have drivers on holiday and they seem to be fairly consistant with the work, i mean they havnt seen a drop or rise, just carrying on as normal really.