Credit Crunch Or Not

its grim at our place too.
we’ve all been told “we have too take a pay cut” and its a big one, so much so, that i have too look for another job.

■■■■ happens though.
last year was crap, not work related, just gave me a different outlook on life.

ellies dad:
second time ive read this from you harry.

And you’ll be reading it again and again over the next three or four years…

ellies dad:
Hopefully not a repeat of the '80’s

No, it’s going to be far worse.

I dont think its anywhere near as bad as the 1980’s.

Think a lot of it is talk.

I do runs for another certain pallet firm and if anything busier last month rather than quiet. Same with agency work, getting as much as i want.

Drive down the motorways and they are still full of 2008 and 2007 plate cars, with large engines.

I think its mostly the housing market thats taking a pounding, and in someways regional. Mainly due to the lack of controls in the housing market, leading to people getting 5x their salery mortgages, 100% mortgages etc… Think its also regional in someways since areas like the West Midlands with huge house prices are getting hit. On the other hand Scotland the house prices are still going up.

What i have noticed though is, boats coming into Cairnryan can be pretty quiet at times with trucks compared to before.

Also noticed more than a few NI trucks that used to hammer it down the road now going a lot slower. The subbie i work for turned his trucks down to 56mph, they were doing 63-65mph before due to fuel costs.

Also a lot more stricter about loads when picking up, must be maxed out with pallets, put in correctly so no dead space. Still busy but made to be a lot more efficent because of fuel costs.

Kenny1975:
I dont think its anywhere near as bad as the 1980’s.

Believe me, it’s going to be. And then some.

christianh:
i say credit crunch recession? YES :cry:

i’ve been unemployed since june 20th 08, was an IT support monkey. I’ve just had to ‘sign on’ having resisted being a burden till now but needs must! the lady in the dole office said they are snowed under with the amount of new claims… the jobs i’m going for are getting 50 or even 100 applicants… things are not looking good.

i’m having to sell my flat so that i dont lose it due to not paying my mortgage. with the equity raised (i bought it several years ago) im also doing my class 1 and 2 at the same time.

it might be quieter on the lgv vacancy front but IT is positively DEAD.

Good luck with it mate. Makes some of realise just how lucky we are.

Harry Monk:

ellies dad:
second time ive read this from you harry.

And you’ll be reading it again and again over the next three or four years…

ellies dad:
Hopefully not a repeat of the '80’s

No, it’s going to be far worse.

shift up on that bench then

hmmm,the is it going to be as bad as the 80’s question…
i hope not,i was 17 when our family home was repo’d after my parent business failed…but me and my wife purchased our first home in 1992 at the age of 19.it was a repo house too so i knew how they must have felt,but it was the only way onto the ladder.
the difference this time is there is little manufacuring going on in the uk,compared to then and i think it’s manufacturing that kick starts the economy after the darkest days.after all people have to replace worn out items eventually.they can hold off for a while and run outdated stuff longer(i do already with a 1984 breakdown truck) but eventually they will buy new stuff,which in the past would have been made here.but now,certainly in this area there seems to be no-one making anything.(percentage wise-i know some people still make some things)yes,plenty of people moving and storing and polishing and repairing but not actually making stuff.
so what will kickstart us back on the road to recovery in a few years time?

on the box front the eu is on the usually shut down and china has shutdown for the olympics for 2 months

theres no such thing as a credit crunch it was invented by people who are paid far to much for doing very little and wanted a nice way to say we are in a ressetion but are to scared to admit it themselves

It’s been fairly quiet for us over the past few weeks. So all we are doing is moving onto other work which is plentiful. Greece and Cyprus.
It’ll make a change from driving past Birmingham twice a day.

Anyway, What does credit crunch taste like? Is it better with hot or cold milk?

Lets not forget that the current recession / credit crunch is mostly the result of American downturn.

A lot of trading that takes place world wide is through the US Dollar, it’s weak at the moment, I just sent a payment to China on thursday that was equivalent to £1.00 = $1.89 (The rate is always less for a business than a holiday maker who is currently getting around $2.00 to the £1.00)

Because of the dollar being so low (Compared to 2001 when it was £1.00 = $1.35) it’s cheaper manufacturing abroad and importing into your own country, by the time you pay import duty, vat & shipping the items work out the same as the US Dollar but in uk prices I.E what sells for $1.85 in China costs £1.85 all inclusive delivered to the UK.

There wont be any let up in the credit crunch until the American dollar strengthens, despite what market anylists say, when its cheaper to import your own country will suffer. Less manufacturing = less jobs = less wages = less money available to spend = less purchasing = less need for the goods = less production = more importing to cover the shortage

It’s a vicious circle that will go round and round until the dollar strangthens making it more expensive or no benefit to import which then requires manufacturing to commence to fill the shortages.

On the news on friday they said that they expect it to pick up next year? Interesting comment considering there is an election due next year

:unamused:

alix776:
on the box front the eu is on the usually shut down and china has shutdown for the olympics for 2 months

Dont know where you got that info from but production is continuing as normal in China, maybe it’s just around the beijing area but Donguann is certainly running at full capacity at the moment :wink:

And here we are, on the downward path, that leads to the upward spiral of inflation, knowing that we must move, in ever decreasing circles, finally disappearing up our… only chance is to sleep it off, sweat it out.

Ronnie Barker, I miss you…

dont sell the flat justt tell everyone you owe money to that you are
now unemployed ride the storm

Good luck with the HGV tests Christian, although Transport faces a sharp downturn too, stuff still needs to be moved during a recession so there’s always a demand for someone who can move it.

I started This Thread on the HousePriceCrash forum earlier today and replies so far suggest that things don’t seem to be good for anyone selling a house at the mo so good luck with that too…

Let us know how how you get on with your lessons and test.

good luck wiith that.

Davey Driver:
There wont be any let up in the credit crunch until the American dollar strengthens, despite what market anylists say,

Davey Driver Vs Market Anyalist ?
I’m with you Davey, them guys earning millions a year just don’t know what they’re on about sometimes !!!