Ramsgate Haters

Thick ■■■■■■■

facebook.com/#!/pages/Stop-L … 1499512961

If this is the live exports page then I’m sorry but I’m with them. There is no real need in this day and age to drive live animals in cramped conditions across Europe. It’s pointless. I wouldn’t support something just because it goes in a truck like lots seem to do.

i would agree with switchlogic can’t see the need to export live animals for slaughter outside the u.k. if they are being moved for breeding purposes then there might be a call for it. now i like my meat more than anything one so i am not a banner waving veggie, but i will always try to eat british produced meat where possible :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I am with the last 2 posters. It should be stopped only the ones for breeding should be shipped live.

Eddie.

it used to be, and might still be, the case of where the animal was killed would mean where it was ‘from’

many people for many years all over europe and in the uk would buy ‘local’ meat not realising it could have been born, reared and grown on in another country only to be moved to your country to be killed and stamped with the local stamp.

mucker85:
it used to be, and might still be, the case of where the animal was killed would mean where it was ‘from’

many people for many years all over europe and in the uk would buy ‘local’ meat not realising it could have been born, reared and grown on in another country only to be moved to your country to be killed and stamped with the local stamp.

Now it only needs to be processed to there to get the stamp. So as long as it’s cut up in the country it can get that countries stamp. But, the best beef in the world is British and Irish so a local stamp wouldnt help things.

switchlogic:
If this is the live exports page then I’m sorry but I’m with them. There is no real need in this day and age to drive live animals in cramped conditions across Europe. It’s pointless. I wouldn’t support something just because it goes in a truck like lots seem to do.

Well put Luke!!

I agree with Luke here.

And if I am understanding correctly, a lot of meat is exported from the UK, to be slaughtered abroad and possibly imported back to the UK as foreign meat? As said before, I’d love to be a vegetarian, but i haven’t got the will power. And anyway, animals are a lot less annoying than humans :smiley:

ScannyManny:
I agree with Luke here.

And if I am understanding correctly, a lot of meat is exported from the UK, to be slaughtered abroad and possibly imported back to the UK as foreign meat? As said before, I’d love to be a vegetarian, but i haven’t got the will power. And anyway, animals are a lot less annoying than humans :smiley:

+1

not sure they should be taking it out on truckers though? only earning a living at the end of the day.

mrx:
not sure they should be taking it out on truckers though? only earning a living at the end of the day.

Maybe I am weird, but I would not make my living in something which is wrong, even if it’s legal…

orys:

mrx:

Maybe I am weird, but I would not make my living in something which is wrong, even if it’s legal…

Orys, i don’t agree with some of your comments on here, but that one is bang on!! Well said mate

There’s a good saying “better on the hook than the hoof” i’m pretty sure that if everythig went in a fridge we would actually employ more drivers. Most of trucks I have seen in this work are Danish or Belgium.

The fact that the councils and police are opposed to this is interesting. Thanet council who own the port (Ramsgate) were taken to court to ensure they allowed the shipments Kent police initially said they could provide enough cover to police the demo and the police inspectorate had to write a letter to them basically ordering them to cover the demo.

The shippers are a very powerfull and well conected bunch !!

tootman318:

orys:

mrx:

Orys, i don’t agree with some of your comments on here, but that one is bang on!! Well said mate

Agreed.

switchlogic:

But the opposite viewpoint to that is that they’re going to be dead in a few days time anyway so what difference does it make? :bulb:

There’s no need for them to suffer in the meantime, Rob. It’s all about treating livestock humanely.

Lucy:
There’s no need for them to suffer in the meantime, Rob. It’s all about treating livestock humanely.

So “humanely” that you’re going to chop them into little pieces in a few days time? :unamused:

Sorry seems rather hypocritical to me.

Please treat those ikkle bah lambs gently as it helps me get over my guilty conscience when I eat them on my plate this Sunday lunchtime.

:unamused:

Lucy:

Why would assume they were not going to be ■■

A quick trip over the water to be “chopped” may be shorter than one in this country and if not a few more hours in todays equipment is hardly stressful. :open_mouth:

Rob - Hardly. Once they’re chops, they’re dead, as you point out. This has nothing to do with guilty conscience whatsoever - I’m someone who is happy to report she regularly pats her dinner on the head before it goes to the butcher, thanks to my best friend rearing it. If we didn’t eat these animals, they wouldn’t exist, after all. But whilst they are alive and sentient, fattening up nicely for our benefit, the least we can do in return is treat them well.

Billy - Fair point if the distance and travelling time is shorter that way, but it doesn’t matter how good the equipment is, a journey like that will inevitably be stressful for the livestock,especially crammed in the way they often are for export. It’s therefore only fair that those journeys are kept to a minimum, IMHO.

Don’t get me wrong, folks, there’s nothing fluffy about me.I’m a pro-fox hunting (another debate entirely), red-blooded meat eater with friends in beef farming and livestock transport. I used to do General and Agricultural haulage myself, and trust me when I say that delivering pig-feed means right to the snout.
I’ve recently changed my views about greyhound racing after meeting a trainer face-to-face and seeing the kennels and dogs, and I’m Area Co-ordinator for one of the national Great Dane breed rescues which isn’t no kill - indeed have the blood of two PTS jobs on my hands myself, one for purely behavioural reasons. They don’t come much more pragmatic than me, nor more open-minded, so I’m willing to have my eyes opened and my views changed on this one, hence my comment to Billy above.

However, the bottom line, IMHO, is that whilst we (as in people) have sole responsibility for bringing these animals into the world and rearing them for slaughter, we also have responsibility for ensuring the highest possible standards of welfare whilst we are doing so. And I’m simply not convinced that live export fits that bill…yet. :wink:

(I love a good, intelligent, constructive debate. :grimacing: )

Lucy:
Rob - Hardly. Once they’re chops, they’re dead, as you point out. This has nothing to do with guilty conscience whatsoever - I’m someone who is happy to report she regularly pats her dinner on the head before it goes to the butcher, thanks to my best friend rearing it. If we didn’t eat these animals, they wouldn’t exist, after all. But whilst they are alive and sentient, fattening up nicely for our benefit, the least we can do in return is treat them well.

We’ll agree to disagree on this one then. I think your comments are ridiculous to be frank.

Here’s a nice silky field for you to graze in and be all nice and comfy, but next week I’m going to chop your head off and then eat you. But that’s okay because I’m really humane and gave you a nice comfy field to graze in when you were alive.

WTF. :unamused: