rally or f1

hi all can anyone tell me how i find out about getting into truck driving for either a rally team or f1 or even super bikes??
any help would be really good ta

With the greatest of respect, you’ve more chance of platting ■■■■.

Any teams that advertise, usually do in the likes of Autosport, and even then it’s from teams lower down the ranks of motorsport.

Ken.

look in the jobs section mate, i’ve put summat up there!!!

Bernie Eccelstones lot are based in the old RAF base at Biggin Hill Airport. Silver Mercs.

Be prepared to be worked like a dog and treated worse than one!!

Thinking about it, this maybe a good time to ask them as it is about now that the novelty has begun to wear off for some and they decide to leave.

Good luck, unless things have changed you may need it!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

digbydog99:
hi all can anyone tell me how i find out about getting into truck driving for either a rally team or f1 or even super bikes??
any help would be really good ta

The guys who drive the trucks for F1 teams don’t normally work for the team, such as in the pits or similar. They either use agency drivers who get the truck to the circuit, clean it and then fly home until Sunday, or some now have dedicated hauliers doing the work Stobart for Mercedes and DHL for Lotus.
Don’t know much about Rallying or Motorbikes, but I think they still mostly have thier own truckies that work at the track aswell.

If you want to work with a team and drive the truck forget F1, look at other formulas, BTCC, Le Mans, GT, GP2, World Series etc. but remember the truck driving is a very small part of the job.

You could try Bridgestone, I reckon they’ll be looking for a few people near the end of the season, but job security is not so great. :laughing:

bullitt:
Bernie Eccelstones lot are based in the old RAF base at Biggin Hill Airport. Silver Mercs.

Be prepared to be worked like a dog and treated worse than one!!

Thinking about it, this maybe a good time to ask them as it is about now that the novelty has begun to wear off for some and they decide to leave.

Good luck, unless things have changed you may need it!! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Hold on a minute, I heard that if you get a job driving for the race teams you get to put the suntan lotion on the totty that holds up the boards on the grid & that they’re contractually obligated to sleep with you in the 5 star hotels provided by the team & when it’s not a race weekend you’ll be busy testing the car, they also take home a grand a week & have a company flat in Monaco, you ain’t telling me that was a wind up are you? :unamused: :laughing:

newmercman:
Hold on a minute, I heard that if you get a job driving for the race teams you get to put the suntan lotion on the totty that holds up the boards on the grid & that they’re contractually obligated to sleep with you in the 5 star hotels provided by the team & when it’s not a race weekend you’ll be busy testing the car, they also take home a grand a week & have a company flat in Monaco, you ain’t telling me that was a wind up are you? :unamused: :laughing:

Yeah it was a wind up, you only get a 4 star hotel.

I did a few jobs for Padgetts of Batley in the British Supersport Series at the time when Jay Vincent and Leon Camier were on the books, it is my claim to fame and Leon still keeps in touch or speaks to me when I get close enough, (the last time he told me to get out of his [zb] way you saddo :laughing: ) (joke)

It is very hard work in the paddock, and you are lucky to see any racing. I did as I was operating the pitboard on the wall during practice, qualifying and the main race. The rest of the time I was carrying tyres, polishing fairings and wheels and helping to make sure everything was in it’s correct place, at the end of the weekend, only two of us were left to pack the bikes, kit and garage into the trailer and drive home. Very enjoyable but worked solid for 4 days and slept on the trailer floor because the regular mechanics were in the cab bunk.

Coffeeholic:

newmercman:

Yeah it was a wind up, you only get a 4 star hotel.

:laughing: :laughing: No it’s all fact, but we don’t like to brag about it. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I did a few jobs for Padgetts of Batley in the British Supersport Series at the time when Jay Vincent and Leon Camier were on the books, it is my claim to fame and Leon still keeps in touch or speaks to me when I get close enough, (the last time he told me to get out of his [zb] way you saddo :laughing: ) (joke)

It is very hard work in the paddock, and you are lucky to see any racing. I did as I was operating the pitboard on the wall during practice, qualifying and the main race. The rest of the time I was carrying tyres, polishing fairings and wheels and helping to make sure everything was in it’s correct place, at the end of the weekend, only two of us were left to pack the bikes, kit and garage into the trailer and drive home. Very enjoyable but worked solid for 4 days and slept on the trailer floor because the regular mechanics were in the cab bunk.

Well done Wheel Nut stick to the official line that it’s hard graft. :smiley:

Done it. as agency driving from one venue to another, Trust me, it’s not that glamourous, you are treated like something on the bottom of a shoe by the regular team drivers, the whole place is so full of ego’s i’m suprised there is any room for racing, and normally you don’t get to see any racing, unless you watch it on TV when you get home! Driving for the F1 teams you occasionally get a flash from a cute blonde, but mostly it’s boy racers and kids waving at you. There are no perks, no free tickets, no t shirts, or baseball hats, your lucky to get a meal somedays.
But, if it’s what you want to do it’s worth a try.

F1

truckerjon:
Done it. as agency driving from one venue to another, Trust me, it’s not that glamourous, you are treated like something on the bottom of a shoe by the regular team drivers, the whole place is so full of ego’s i’m suprised there is any room for racing, and normally you don’t get to see any racing, unless you watch it on TV when you get home! Driving for the F1 teams you occasionally get a flash from a cute blonde, but mostly it’s boy racers and kids waving at you. There are no perks, no free tickets, no t shirts, or baseball hats, your lucky to get a meal somedays.
But, if it’s what you want to do it’s worth a try.

I agree with much of what you say, especially about ego’s, and the higher up the formulas the bigger the ego’s and more fragile the ego’s.
And most of those with over inflated ego’s aren’t the racing drivers or top engineers, but those who have done everything to scrape into F1 despite a lack of ability. And they’ll do everything possible to stay there even if it means dropping others in the [zb].

But then there are loads of good down to earth people working on the circuit, who you get to know either at work or over a beer every now and then.

Working for a team in a lower formula is a better option in my opinion, you may not have the pose of being in F1 for a famous team, but that’s the reason there are so many [zb] in F1. But you are a much bigger cog in a smaller more personal machine. And because of that you do get some of the perks of the job. Although not managed to sleep with a grid girl, :frowning: in fact women are a bit thin on the ground, I think there are about 10 women working on the GP2 circuit and probably about 200 blokes, not good odds for somebody as pig ugly as me. :laughing:

Like all jobs there are down side and I’ve thought about getting out many times, but then something makes me decided to stick it out for a bit longer.

Muckles,

I know you’ve got a pretty decent thing going there, but, it’s not all that people think it is, there’s plenty of hard work involved & the race day itself is only a very small part of what you have to do, it’s the same as the TransAm thing, people see Matt & co swanning around all over the place & thinks it looks like a rock star lifestyle, but think about it, when you & Matt take pictures, you do so when you see something good, I do it myself, I’ve got a nice blinged up truck & a shot of it in a truckstop in Vegas just after a truckwash looks really good, what I haven’t taken pictures of is the 3hr traffic jam in Salt Lake City or the blizzard in Idaho etc, your job, Matt’s job & mine all have a glamorous side, but most of the time it’s just a job.

It’s the X Factor syndrome, instant number one, no need to work hard at it, I mean come on, why post on here looking for a job as an F1 driver, it’s hardly likely that Bernie Eccleston will be reading the posts looking for ‘that special driver’ now is it :unamused:

Or it could be that it’s a wind up, in which case, it’s imaginative :laughing: