Radio 4 Tuesday 8PM-Rogue Hauliers

Just thought if anyone was interested 8:00-8:40PM;

Rogue Hauliers
File on 4

In January a haulage boss and his mechanic were jailed for a tipper truck crash which killed four people. The brakes on six of the truck’s eight wheels weren’t working properly. The expert examiner from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency said Grittenham Haulage’s vehicle would have been taken off the road if it had been stopped in a roadside check.

But are there sufficient roadside and on-site checks to detect safety breaches?

File on 4 uncovers cases where unsafe vehicles and drivers were allowed to remain on the roads, despite known concerns.

So does the current system of regulation and punishment go far enough to deter rogue operators who drive some of the most dangerous vehicles on our roads?

Sounds like all hype and bugger all facts

Maybe the daily mail’s working with the beeb now.

Vid:
Sounds like all hype and bugger all facts

since its the ‘Biased Broadcasting Company’ you may have a point - but maybe we should listen to the programme first

Think I’ll be listening to that sooner or later. And will decide whether it’s ‘hype and bugger all facts’ or not afterwards.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I lisend to it and heard about the tipper driver at the checkpoint in London .
No digi card and no print outs to cover it , he said it was down to being lazy .
Bulge in the tyre, and an indicator stuck on flash mode when used .
£400 fine .
UK operators banned here, can get an European permit in Bulgaria and operate in the UK .
Legal loophole .

I thought the…

‘Operators spend more time and money avoiding compliance rather than run properly’ (or words to that effect) an eye opener.

I won’t be applying for a job with Sissons either.

yourhavingalarf:
I thought the…

‘Operators spend more time and money avoiding compliance rather than run properly’ (or words to that effect) an eye opener.

I won’t be applying for a job with Sissons either.

Some just aren’t good with paperwork rather than particularly dodgy the system presently is unduly bureaucratic and off putting. The DVSA should be more about facilitating people to get on the road and have safe vehicles. Things like the length of time it takes them to grant licences is a contributory factor to people not bothering to apply at all so straightaway you’ve got vehicles on the road, off the radar.

How come there isn’t an investigation into the following (not covered on the programme)

(1) Mickey Mouse MOTs
(2) Paying peanuts and getting monkeys
(3) Having three people in a cab with none of them having checked the vehicle was roadworthy before going out and down a rather steep hill in a built-up area
(4) How much it really costs to fully train a driver.
(5) Being possible to declare oneself a “trained” individual for self-employed purposes where you’d be shown the door straight away if applying for a PAYE version of the same job.
(6) Why are 15 hour shifts legal, but rarely as “overtime”?
(7) Why is nothing being done about the huge amount of damage and waste caused by an inept haulier? (The programme makes it sound like people go “rogue” on purpose, rather than on a “needs must” basis…)

Well I thought it was a good effort. Given it’s a limited length programme it addressed a particular problem or two in the industry and enforcement agencies without over sensational comments.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

No real surprises in the programme, its a cut throat business and operators cut corners, I geuss most of us know that bit.

I would like to see more operators answering charges when serious accidents occur as in the Bath tipper tragedy, far too often its just the driver carrying the can. As with the case mentioned where the half asleep driver had ran into the back of and killed the two cyclists, it must have been obvious to the TM that the driver was breaking all the hours rules, according to the program he was employing him as a fitter during the day and as a driver during the night, for me the TM was equally culpable.
Far too often drivers are pushed to do more and more and when it all goes pear shaped the company just employ someone else.

Just listened to it and to be honest it opened my eyes a bit. I always thought that the TC was all powerful but they were shown as inept, inefficient and without much authority.
Thought drivers came out of it with some sympathy apart from the clown in the first 3 minutes with no digi card.
Dvsa got a bit of a panning too.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk