Radio 4 tuesday

at 20-00hrs,programme about the cowboys in our industry,drivers being made to work 20hours a day,just where do these gonks come from.

i will record this to my dvd machine

Sound like it’s going to be some journalists anti truck peace about us all falling asleep because we are running bent for dodgy bosses, they must have just watched Hell Drivers

Shame because if they’d done their research they’d have found out the real reason for drivers falling asleep at the wheel is because of lack of facilities were drivers can get a decent night sleep or a decent break.

i wont bother listening cuz it,ll just be more anti truck rubbish and how we,d all be better off if goods went by rail blah blah blah :unamused: when will people realise this country is not truck friendly and never will be we,ll always be in the way in our big dirty trucks that cost more to buy than most peoples houses and actually put out less polution than most cars but hey that dont matter does it .

Both me and my dad have spoken to several drivers in the past few months/year who claim they do 20hrs per day quite regularly, but these were not British drivers, nor were they Polish drivers, but more often than not, they were German drivers who drive all the way to Calais, and once in England, put a new tacho in and drive another full shift. This is hardly surprising given the state of the economy in Germany with millions unemployed, a surplus of drivers due to the unemployment rate and the employment of eastern Europeans, drivers are scarred of losing their jobs and some my dad has spoken to say they even accept pay cuts just to retain their jobs. My dad being German speaks to most other German drivers he comes across and its actually been several months since he’s spoken to one that does actually run legal to the tacho regs. At the moment it seems that we have it very nice here compared to some of our fellow Europeans.

my recomendation is for all of us to listen to the prog and when they talk zb complain to the BBC about what we have heard

Carl:
i wont bother listening cuz it,ll just be more anti truck rubbish and how we,d all be better off if goods went by rail blah blah blah :unamused: when will people realise this country is not truck friendly and never will be we,ll always be in the way in our big dirty trucks that cost more to buy than most peoples houses and actually put out less polution than most cars but hey that dont matter does it .

Same here M8, if I listen to that ■■■■■■■■ I’ll bost the wireless with a hammer! :imp:

Ive never seen such a negative attitude , why do you all think it will be bad?.

bbc.co.uk/radio4/schedule/2005/10/18/day/

20:00
File on 4
18 October 2005
Road hauliers continue to complain about the damaging effects of Britain’s fuel prices, but it’s only one of the many pressures facing an industry under stress.

There’s also a critical shortage of capable lorry drivers at a time when demand is soaring. Is this why some become so tired that they fall asleep at the wheel, causing fatal accidents?

Are you telling me lorry drivers DONT fall asleep at the wheel and dont do long hours?..

Give it a chance and have a listen to it first.

Jammymutt the advert Radio 4 run for this program has a completely different stance than the Infomation you’ve found.

They are saying about loads of rouge hauliers and driver working 20 hours a day and VOSA not have the manpower of the ability to remove them from the road.

They seem to be ignoring the fact that driver can legally work long and that facilities to get a decent rest are rare.

Fair play Jammy, Im all for giving something a chance, and bad things do happen but the fact is though, over the years just about everything I ever heard or saw from the radio and telly about haulage was 99% ■■■■■■ thats why I dont bother any more, theyre dead against us. Oh, and usually if somthing does come of a media programme, it aint usefull change, just more meaningless ■■■■■■■■ for the driver to contend with, IMHO.

muckles:
They seem to be ignoring the fact that driver can legally work long and that facilities to get a decent rest are rare.

Exactly, why dont they have a go about how bad it is for us to park up? Theres a usefull flag for them to wave, no chance, theyd sooner burn us it’s more fun for the listeners.

I won’t hold my breath but I’ll listen to it and then decide if a complaint to the BBC is needed.

jammymutt:
Ive never seen such a negative attitude , why do you all think it will be bad?.

bbc.co.uk/radio4/schedule/2005/10/18/day/

20:00
File on 4
18 October 2005
Road hauliers continue to complain about the damaging effects of Britain’s fuel prices, but it’s only one of the many pressures facing an industry under stress.

There’s also a critical shortage of capable lorry drivers at a time when demand is soaring. Is this why some become so tired that they fall asleep at the wheel, causing fatal accidents?

Are you telling me lorry drivers DONT fall asleep at the wheel and dont do long hours?..

Give it a chance and have a listen to it first.

well said mate.

file on 4 has a listen again feature so you will be able to download it to listen and dissect at your own leisure

Radio 2 News at 1am this morning, a Driver saying (Annonymously of course) that he is forced to work 20 hrs and it is common practice to drive down the M4 with a TV Mounted on his dash watching the latest films :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

My answer to Mr Annonymous is simple, if your forced into working 20 hrs then your the idiot for doing so NO EXCUSES does he not know about these offices in just about every Town called Job Centres :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

As for watching TV Whilst Driving, its quite understandable, if he’s [zb] daft enough to break the law by working 20 hrs he’s daft enough to watch films on the move, it’s not the company at fault its him.

[zb] holes like him should be stopped and locked up but why not go the full hogg and name himself instead of hiding behind annonimity :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

i passes a nightfreight trunker watching the TV so i phoned the old bill dunno what came of it

Heard two news report’s on this .
One was the english guy confessing to 18-21 hour shift’s and watching the latest film’s whilst driving …
And the other one was a brief report but basically saying the police have said it is mainly eastern european driver’s …

muckles:
They are saying about loads of rouge hauliers and driver working 20 hours a day and VOSA not have the manpower of the ability to remove them from the road.

‘Rouge’ drivers? :confused: :open_mouth:

Not so much cowboys as indians then. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry mate, couldn’t resist :blush:

Salut, David.

Spardo:

muckles:

‘Rouge’ drivers? :confused: :open_mouth:

Not so much cowboys as indians then. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry mate, couldn’t resist :blush:

Salut, David.

Could have been worse Rob K might have seen it :blush: :smiley:

:confused: :confused: