QUESTION

i have a question and i hope that someone on here can maybe answer it,as some of you know i intend to take my class 2 training soon and i have thought about going with priestley training as it is on the recommended list on this forum,however after looking a bit closer at their website i notice that the picture of their “training vehicles” appear to be quite old,see link;

priestleylgv.co.uk/

then click on this heading to see pic of both trucks…About Priestley LGV Lincolnshire LGV Training

so my question is this,does anyone know if this is still the case of them using older vehicles or just not updated their website and if so is it in my interest to do my training in them compared to the fact that i might be driving newer trucks in a job,is there any kinda of difference etc,any advice would be appreciated,and yes i will be ringing them to ask them on monday… :grimacing: ,this is just to ask the opinion of drivers of trucks already if it is better to take your training in a newer truck rather than an older one.

mark41:
better to take your training in a newer truck rather than an older one.

Tha age of the truck will make no difference as long as it is safe, legal, clean and well maintained.

this is just to ask the opinion of drivers of trucks already if it is better to take your training in a newer truck rather than an older one.

IMO you’re a lot better off in a new vehicle. You expect to learn in a new car - why expect less from your truck training? I have no idea if their fleet has been updated. It’s been said hundreds of times on this forum that the best advice is always to go and look, have an assessment drive and get a feel for how comfortable you are with the whole set up. An older truck may drive superbly and a poorly maintained 2 year old may drive like a bag of xxxxxxx. You will only find out by trying. Whatever you do, drive at least 2 different trucks otherwise you won’t have any sort of benchmark.

You will get comments, maybe, that you will have to drive older trucks when you first pass your test and that may well be true. However, to learn in an old (assuming it’s badly behaved) truck is a real folly. You need to understand that every time you miss or fumble a gear you are likely in for a minor mark on the test sheet. Any instructor worth his/her salt will tell you that you should do everything to avoid collecting minor marks as they mount up to the “big prize” (fail!) I don’t know anything about the trainer you mention; it may be a great set up with trucks that drive A1. In which case, go for it. Wherever you go, all the best with it.

Answer from the horses mouth - Direct.
I have not updated the website for some time.
However the Artic is still up and running and used regularly for tests with not probs. The rigid is a different vehicle to the one shown on our website (I must update that now I have been reminded!LOL)
As to age - we have had no complaints whatsoever from our trainees regarding the vehicles which are kept in perfect running order as we pride ourselves on the quality of our training and training vehicles. Any prospective trainee is welcome to come and have an assesment drive on our vehicles before booking and many take this opportunity and are always happy with the drive.
Now I WILL get myself motivated and get the website updated - Thank you for the reminder.

Mothertrucker:
Any prospective trainee is welcome to come and have an assesment drive

Are the assessments free :question:

Are the assessments free

Glad you asked me that Rog.
Our assesment drives are free to trainees who book courses with us.
We charge a nominal fee of £25 on the day to cover costs which is then deducted from the price of the course when the booking is made.

thx mothertrucker,i did try to ring you about half hour ago but it was engaged,please accept that my post was not intended as a criticism,i have already spoke to your husband and booked my assessment for fri 26th june… :grimacing: ,i am looking forward to taking my training with you,my question was just one of curiosty regarding how taking the training difers between older and newer trucks,i have no worries on the score that i know i will recieve the best professional training from your company especially as it is on the recommended list,i look forward to meeting you in a couple of weeks… :smiley:,ps have got my theory on the 24th so hopefully after assessment can book practical training… :grimacing:

No offence taken at all Mark.
You simply reminded me to get my finger out and update the website - which I have done.
Looking forward to meeting you when you come for your assesment.