Question regarding MOT

Question on behalf of a friend.

He runs three 7.5tonners as part of a civil engineering business but does do some hire/reward now and again. He used to just have the one (a little hooklift). Last year he added a pair of Daf LF’s dropsides. One was up for MOT in March the other in May.

Long story short; he’s managed to get them mixed up. Basically, he got the one due in May was tested in March (i.e. 2months early :unamused: ) and has now realised the one due in March has been running around with no test for two months. Haulage isn’t his main business to be fair and hes not the most organised (clearly!) but its obviously a problem.

He is worried about the consequences. Could he or his drivers have points added to their licence? After all they’ve been driving with no insurance for the last 2months. Also, he is concerned that VOSA or the TC might get involved?

Will they check it closely enough to catch him out? Or is he best to own up and tell VOSA now?

Can’t see that he has any other choice,other than to tell Vosa the facts at his local testing station,if he starts trying to bend rules to get around it,he will be in a deeper mess.

Thats what I said to him. He’s wasn’t convinced! :smiley:

I would have thought when the truck is presented for test, Vosa will just test it and it will pass or fail. How would they know on the face of it ? It could have been parked in the yard unused for a couple of months. I would think it would have been more of a problem at a roadside check. When you go for an MOT they dont ask you why or what etc they just test it.

philberg182:
I would have thought when the truck is presented for test, Vosa will just test it and it will pass or fail. How would they know on the face of it ? It could have been parked in the yard unused for a couple of months. I would think it would have been more of a problem at a roadside check. When you go for an MOT they dont ask you why or what etc they just test it.

Exactly get a test booked ASAP and keep quiet,tell him to consider himself lucky

renaultman:

philberg182:

Exactly get a test booked ASAP and keep quiet,tell him to consider himself lucky

agreed ! get it tested quick and if anyone notices say “sorry, I made a mistake and it won’t happen again”

I think id just get test booked and take a chance no point handing yourself over to the ■■■■■■■■ mite help if he gets a garage to book test and take it :wink:

hammer:
After all they’ve been driving with no insurance for the last 2months.

It’s often stated but I’m not entirely sure about a lack of MOT invalidating a policy. Using a vehicle without an MOT is a fine only to the driver.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve passed it on. He’s decided to get it booked in ASAP and hope it goes unnoticed.

hammer:
Thanks for the advice, I’ve passed it on. He’s decided to get it booked in ASAP and hope it goes unnoticed.

IMHO, that’s a smart move. :wink:

:bulb: I also think he’d do well to keep that vehicle off the road until the MOT test day and use the time to get it well prepped, cos I can’t see any sense in tempting fate. :smiley:

dieseldave:

hammer:

:bulb: I also think he’d do well to keep that vehicle off the road until the MOT test day and use the time to get it well prepped, cos I can’t see any sense in tempting fate. :smiley:

Spoke to him just now. He’d already decided not to put the truck anywhere near the road until its tested. Its a genuine mistake in all fairness and he most definatly isn’t taking any risks on it.

He’s been on the phone all day, tried to book at test at his local station - first available was 22nd of JUNE! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The next one was 9th June, which wasn’t much better. Luckily, he’s got a cancellation - 100mile round trip but its getting done tomorrow.

I asked him what happens if the truck fails (which it shouldn’t its quite tidy). He said he can’t think about that but in all seriousness, what happens if it does fail? Its out of test so surely he shouldn’t drive it home? I guess its not my problem but it could cause him all sorts of grief. Opinions would be appreciated.

hammer:

dieseldave:

hammer:

Spoke to him just now. He’d already decided not to put the truck anywhere near the road until its tested. Its a genuine mistake in all fairness and he most definatly isn’t taking any risks on it.

He’s been on the phone all day, tried to book at test at his local station - first available was 22nd of JUNE! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The next one was 9th June, which wasn’t much better. Luckily, he’s got a cancellation - 100mile round trip but its getting done tomorrow.

I asked him what happens if the truck fails (which it shouldn’t its quite tidy). He said he can’t think about that but in all seriousness, what happens if it does fail? Its out of test so surely he shouldn’t drive it home? I guess its not my problem but it could cause him all sorts of grief. Opinions would be appreciated.

He can drive it to or from the test station as long as it’s not GV9’d with a serious defect

Ok Renaultman thanks for the advice, I wasn’t sure. I’ll pass the message along.