VOSA prohibitation notice

Just bough a transit pick up truck and was pulled into a testing station where they found it to be overloaded
They checked undernieth and found a rotten cross member
they gave me a prohibitation notice saying that the van/truck had to go in for a full MOT within 7 days even though it has 6 months test left on it
any ideas what to do hear please

Probably what they tell you too!

Scrap it and buy another! :wink:

dessy:
Scrap it and buy another! :wink:

Preferably one with a weighloader :laughing:

Start saving for the fine

an mot test doesn’t mean a thing. it only says on that date the vehicle was fit for the road, you could leave the test station and break a headlight ect and the vehicle would then fail a test.
if vosa have found your vehicle to be defective they can take it off the road and possible do you for using a defective vehicle as well if you don’t get it repaired, plus do you for the overloading as well on top… sorry to be dome and glume but they have to make their money somehow now :confused: :confused: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

it looks like they’ve been prety lenient with you. just weld the cross member, and book it in for test.
they could have given you an immediate prohibition, but i reckon you passed the attitude test.

Boss & Driver:
any ideas what to do hear please

If you bought it very recently then take it back to where you got it from and demand your money back or that they fix and MoT it for you.

If it’s too long to be able to do that then you’ll have to get the rot repaired and MoT it.

Not a lot else you can do really.

Paul

limeyphil:
it looks like they’ve been prety lenient with you. just weld the cross member, and book it in for test.
they could have given you an immediate prohibition, but i reckon you passed the attitude test.

just weld the cross member
what about all the other bits to weld the advisorys and the stuff they never tested like hand brake light adjustment ect ect is it not a full MOT?

Defects
spring mounting serously weakened by corrosion, immediate detachment unlikely, offsie, axle 2, chassie rail corroded to within 30cms. of shackle braket

advisory list
battery insecured, corrosion to main chassis areas, suspention bushes deteriorationg

can I sell the van/ truck as it is?

repton:

Boss & Driver:
If you bought it very recently then take it back to where you got it from and demand your money back or that they fix and MoT it for you.
Paul

Boss & Driver:

limeyphil:

what about all the other bits to weld the advisorys and the stuff they never tested like hand brake light adjustment ect ect is it not a full MOT?

Defects
spring mounting serously weakened by corrosion, immediate detachment unlikely, offsie, axle 2, chassie rail corroded to within 30cms. of shackle braket

advisory list
battery insecured, corrosion to main chassis areas, suspention bushes deteriorationg

Did the seller chuck in a free daaag?

Boss & Driver:

limeyphil:

Defects

advisory list

If it went through MOT 6 months ago chances are it still will again if you take it back to the right place. :wink:

You might be able to fix that corrosion with a wire brush and a few cans of underseal.

I suspect they won’t be bothered with the hassle to come after you for the overloading so this is just about giving you a lesson in vehicle maintenance and making a point.

When I was at a checkpoint one of our travelling friends was allowed to drive away a transit with a loose u-bolt on the rear-axle. He had an MOT for it done a fortnight before so I think they tread carefully in case it causes too much embarrassment all round.

Boss & Driver:

If you look hard enough I’m sure you will find some poor wooden-headed sap mug enough to buy it. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Boss & Driver:

If you look hard enough I’m sure you will find some poor wooden-headed sap mug enough to buy it. :wink:

can I legaly sell it as spares or repairs
where do you think the best place to sell something like that is considering i dont have a log book
or can I go to a DVLA office and pay to have one produced

Own Account Driver:
I suspect they won’t be bothered with the hassle to come after you for the overloading so this is just about giving you a lesson in vehicle maintenance and making a point.

it was just over 30% and they said they had to sent it to court

Suedehead:
Did the seller chuck in a free daaag?

No but he did offer a quote to lop some leylandi trees and tarmac his driveway. :laughing:
Why did the op buy such a bag of excrement?

Boss & Driver:
can I legaly sell it as spares or repairs

Yes, if you are a private seller then you can sell it “sold as seen”, although you could probably get it welded up for less than £100 which might be a better way to go.

As for the overload, 30% is fairly overloaded, I hope you get off lightly but I suspect you won’t. I would expect a £1,000+ fine for that, it’s like putting an artic across a VOSA weighbridge at 65 tonnes.

Neli had a look at it and he said the welding alone would be about 500 quid

You asked a question about a freight ferry recently, the best thing you can do is drive it onto a ferry and park it up in another country, then declare you have scrapped it, otherwise your fines are going to dwarf the extra cost of a ferry.

I am not joking, this is serious advice

just chuck it in an auction, and hope for the best.
you’ve bought a scrapper. you could weigh it in. you’ll get over £200 just for the weight.
how much did you pay for it?