VOSA prohibitation notice

Wheel Nut:
You asked a question about a freight ferry recently, the best thing you can do is drive it onto a ferry and park it up in another country, then declare you have scrapped it, otherwise your fines are going to dwarf the extra cost of a ferry.

I am not joking, this is serious advice

are you saying sell it abroad
would they want to see the certificate of distruction note, or can I do that myself if I had the log book

edit
I cant quite get to grips with what you are implying hear
do you mean work the truck in a different contory

What are the requirements for driving a UK van/ truck overseas
dose it need to have a current UK MOT and tax disk
someone told me you could bring a motor into this countory from overseas and keep it hear for upto 6 months before you had to register it hear
whats the score in ireland and france?

limeyphil:
just chuck it in an auction, and hope for the best.
you’ve bought a scrapper. you could weigh it in. you’ll get over £200 just for the weight.
how much did you pay for it?

think Im going to need a log book for a car auction
it weighs just over 2 1/2 tone all steel, neli recons it will fetch 500 quid for scrap
paid a grand for it

Boss & Driver:
Neli had a look at it and he said the welding alone would be about 500 quid

maybe Neli should have looked before you bought it :wink:

Harry Monk:
As for the overload, 30% is fairly overloaded, I hope you get off lightly but I suspect you won’t. I would expect a £1,000+ fine for that, it’s like putting an artic across a VOSA weighbridge at 65 tonnes.

I think Harry has hit the nail on the head, your overloading could be your biggest problem.

just weld the cross member
what about all the other bits to weld the advisorys and the stuff they never tested like hand brake light adjustment ect ect is it not a full MOT?

Defects
spring mounting serously weakened by corrosion, immediate detachment unlikely, offsie, axle 2, chassie rail corroded to within 30cms. of shackle braket

advisory list
battery insecured, corrosion to main chassis areas, suspention bushes deteriorationg

Maybe just cut your losses on the van, sounds a like alot off TLC for something thats better replaced :unamused:

Boss & Driver:

limeyphil:
just chuck it in an auction, and hope for the best.
you’ve bought a scrapper. you could weigh it in. you’ll get over £200 just for the weight.
how much did you pay for it?

think Im going to need a log book for a car auction
it weighs just over 2 1/2 tone all steel, neli recons it will fetch 500 quid for scrap
paid a grand for it

you can sell it at auction without a logbook, but you usually get less for it.
cut your losses and scrap it. if vosa havn’t fined you now, you’ll probably be ok.
but just pop in with the paperwork from the scrapyard, and thank them for showing you what a death trap you’d foolishly bought. but don’t lick his arse too much, you may end up with halitosis. :wink:

OK
Hears the TO DO LIST from VOSA

1 read the prohibition carefully

1. make an appointment at an approved MOT testing station for a MOT test

3.the vehicle must meat annual test standards in all respects and pass certificate (VT20 or VT202W) obtained

1. An annual test fee will be charged by the MOT test station

2. Take the pass certificate together with the prohinibition notice (PG9) to any main police station where a Removal of prohibitation notice (PG10) will be issued

3. forward a copy of the Removal of the prohibition notice (PG10) to the following address

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. failure to forward a copy of the removal of the probibition notice within 14 days will generally result in commencement of prosecution action

Nothing about selling it or scraping it

if you scrap it with all the official paperwork, then they’ll drop it.
ring the test station, or go in to be sure. you can’t test something that’s been scrapped.

Boss & Driver:
paid a grand for it

Well leave the load in it, then it’ll fetch £700 quid scrap :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
ring the test station, or go in to be sure. you can’t test something that’s been scrapped.

If you go down this route, be sure to take it to a DVLA authorised ELV centre, and make sure you get a certificate of distruction with the correct reg on it.

so let me get this straight…

You bought a Transit pick-up for £1000 without a log bok and without checking for rot. You then loaded it up without checking the weights. As Harry says 30% is a hefty overload (Transit being 3500kg gross 30% makes it 1050kg over in total thats 4550kg by my reckoning)
What was it loaded with ?
I would think that weight would be obvious just by looking at the vehicle.

£500 worth of welding is not just a crossmember thats more like chassis work which even a quick glance underneath would have shown up.

You have been either very naive , very blind, or this is a wind up.

sorry if this seems harsh but my 14 year old daughter wouldnt have bought a van like that.

Dont worry about all those PG9-PG10 or even PG Tips, below is your best tip, if its off the road permanent then their work is done. :wink:

limeyphil:

You have been either very naive , very blind, or this is a wind up.

sorry if this seems harsh

firm :open_mouth: but fair :wink:

Nothing about selling it or scraping it

That’s because VOSA have presumed you want to keep running it, or if you do then you must carry out the procedures listed. Why not ring the nearest VOSA station and ask for advice, in other words tell them you no longer want to run the vehicle as the cost of repairs are too much and you prefer to scrap it. They will tell you what they require in that case, which will be proof the vehicle has been removed from the road or scrapped.

It sounds like you bought a dud, Transit crossmembers are known for rotting especially around the rear end, they are not very robust from new anyway and this one sounds like it needs a lot of work. I wouldn’t bother, it might only keep it roadworthy for another year anyway that’s if something else doesn’t go before then. Like I said speak to VOSA, they will advise.

If you’re a private individual doing something clearly private like moving house you still may not hear from them again even though grossly overloaded, I take it (if you are) you kept schtum about being a lorry driver as there would probably come an expectation to be competent with loading.

If commercial activity, it’s pretty likely to proceed further at that much over. However, if there was no competitive advantage and within design weight (unlikely TBH) you still may not hear from them.

Try to avoid routes past vosa checkpoints in tatty old vans that are sagging.

maybe a foreign lorry driver might like to buy it or someone who exports to the likes of poland ukran
would pay more then scrap

is there a car auction in Northamptonshire?

carandvanauctions.co.uk/CarA … rthampton/

Though I would think VOSA would be expecting you to either repair it or scrap it. As has been said, best to check your options with them.

To get a free V5 (log book) complete this form:

direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg … 067819.pdf

Probably take 2 - 3 weeks arrive.

I’m hoping that this is a wind up, because, as presented, the OP is unlikely to be capable of running a tap, let alone a transport operation.

If - God help us - this is on the level then, Go East Young Man; the export trade will be your friend. Either that or Bryant and May may be worth getting to know.

Harry Monk:
If you look hard enough I’m sure you will find some poor wooden-headed sap mug enough to buy it. :wink:

Front of the bathroom medicine cabinet, perhaps?

Harry Monk:

Boss & Driver:
can I sell the van/ truck as it is?

If you look hard enough I’m sure you will find some poor wooden-headed sap mug enough to buy it. :wink:

That reminds me. Has anyone heard from Toby lately■■? :grimacing:

Sell it to Vince. He’ll fit manky cupboards in it and have it as his 2nd vehicle. :smiley:

have tried calling VOSA on 0300 123 9000 but cant get through

That number goes to an automated answering system which answers after one ring.

There isn’t an option for “general enquiries”.
Is that the number given on the paperwork they gave you?