Am i in the POO!

Just wondering about this. I got stopped by our friends at VOSA on wednesday afternoon just south of Berwick on the A1 and first thing was when they checked my tachos i had failed to take my 45 hours rest at the weekend (took 41) it was a error on my part i miscounted, The vosa guy said when i finished my work for that day (about 8pm finish) i would have to take my 45 hours. Fair enough. But the thing that got me was when they checked my truck everything was fine apart from the fact that my boss (O licence holder) dident tell me that the unit was out of test by 2 months!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Which i knew nothing about, the guy from vosa said it would be the operator that will get wrong not me!!
So any of u guys have a idea of what will happen to me as a driver for the 2 offences or am i worying for nothing.
Look forward to the reply guys.

Dont worry about the MOT, that is down to the operator and I would think that as they let you drive the truck to your depot to take a 45 hour weekly rest that is probably the end of it.

Otherwise They would have parked you up there and then.

You need to explain your recent shift pattern a little more, how many days? how many weekends etc

But wiser men than me are lurking around this site and will be along shortly :wink:

i THINK that if they were going to do you for anything, they would have mentioned it there and then - they may check that you had the 45 hours IMO

Hi Rich.

Well it sounds like you’re okay THIS time - everyone makes mistakes - but you do need to be careful you get your hours count correct.

Are you still working for the same employer that told you - against your wishes - back in March to put your tacho on break whilst tipping?
If memory serves me right you only passed your C+E about three months ago. Beware of unscrupulous hauliers telling a newbie “the right way of doing things”, because it’s usually “their way of doing things” and it will get you in a lot of trouble as well!

All the best.

Well i had the right amount of rest for previous weekends rest and took my 45 mins when i should everyday it was just that one incident ,Think i had a senior moment and just dident count properly. :blush:

no Andy im with somebody else (you have a good memory), but where i live there is not a lot of hauliers about to pick and choose from. I live in the Alnwick area of northumberland and if u know the area u know its not that populated…

rich32:
Well i had the right amount of rest for previous weekends rest and took my 45 mins when i should everyday it was just that one incident ,Think i had a senior moment and just dident count properly. :blush:

had you had a full weekly rest the weekend before?

Wheel Nut:
Dont worry about the MOT, that is down to the operator and I would think that as they let you drive the truck to your depot to take a 45 hour weekly rest that is probably the end of it.

Otherwise They would have parked you up there and then.

You need to explain your recent shift pattern a little more, how many days? how many weekends etc

But wiser men than me are lurking around this site and will be along shortly :wink:

isnt it part of daily vehicle check besides oil water etc to make sure the vehicle your are about to drive has a valid tax disc/o licence and that it is “plated” or carries a currnet mot cert. As in driving someone else’s car you must check tax and mot ,cos its down to you to obey the law. if any vehicle is not its taxed/mot/insured or is anyway defect then you should not drive it. same as if you had bald tyres.I of course may be wrong and i hope the driver is not punished on this occaision but learns that a few monents checking your truck could save your life and licence.
on tuesday i started work after a 2 week hols and refused to drive the wagon cos tax disc was out of date, boss said he will post it to my home for me which i said, ok when i get it i will collect wagon from yard. tax disc arrived in yard 2 hours later. nuff said.
im not having a go at anyone ,its just that we have to look after ourselves cos management will just blame us otherwise. :wink:

No i had a reduced rest the week before and in reply to what u said Getz i do my daily checks and the truck has a valid tax and o licence. Im reasonably new to this but how do i know if it has a valid MOT? It wasent on the plate in the cab because the vosa guy looked. Help me out on this one am i missing something here?

rich32:
No i had a reduced rest the week before and in reply to what u said Getz i do my daily checks and the truck has a valid tax and o licence. Im reasonably new to this but how do i know if it has a valid MOT? It wasent on the plate in the cab because the vosa guy looked. Help me out on this one am i missing something here?

Well, I’ll chance looking like a right plonka - I dont think there is anything on a vehicle that tells a driver whether it has a current MOT or insurance - that is the owners remit.

Thanks Rog i thought i had just missed something there… :question:

ROG:

rich32:

Well, I’ll chance looking like a right plonka - I dont think there is anything on a vehicle that tells a driver whether it has a current MOT or insurance - that is the owners remit.

i have driven a few that have a photocopy (or some form of official looking document) with the mot on it. if it isnt there i ask but if they tell me its got one then i take thier word for it, as long as someone else is there to back me up.

luckily i have never been stopped yet so dont know how ‘safe’ it is doing this but i guess time will tell when i do finally get stopped!

To be fair, dont worry about missing something like MOT on a daily check as plate and MOT do not always correlate.

On a car the mot will expire on x date of x month like an insurance certificate, although not timed.

A truck MOT normally runs to the end of a month regardless of the date it was tested previously

rich32:

im talking about the test cert thats in a square holder and round disc holder on trailor.
sorry if i got it wrong and i wasnt having a go at you.
and i will stand corrected if im wrong (which as usaul i prob am)

No prob Gezt i thought id missed something. the trailer is fine it was the unit that was in guestion m8.

gezt:

rich32:

im talking about the test cert thats in a square holder and round disc holder on trailor.

That’s just for the trailer. The test certificate for the unit, is completely different, bacically the same as your car one.
I’m fairly sure that things such as test and insurance, are the resposibility of the operator not the driver.

In light of the recent changes to driving hours/tachos I may be wrong, but you could always reduce your weekly rest to 24hrs away from base or 36hrs at base, as long as you made up the time by the end of the 3rd following week, I think that you have to add the time in one block i.e. a minimum of 9hrs added to your weekly rest.

renaultman:

gezt:

rich32:

That’s just for the trailer. The test certificate for the unit, is completely different, bacically the same as your car one.
I’m fairly sure that things such as test and insurance, are the resposibility of the operator not the driver.

well whatevers in there basicly im sure that its the drivers responsibility to check in all aspects the vehicle is roadworthy etc otherwise he could be libel for using a vehicle thats not, as in i.e. no road tax/no mot/ no o licence/bald tyres/lights not working and on an on and on. its no good being pulled for a bald tyre an saying "it s the firm problem to sort new tyres) when you are driving a vehicle with a defective tyre. that will not stand in a court , same as most of the other stuff.
a basic rule is “if in doubt ask,if still in doubt about the vehicle ask for written confirmation that its road legal then watch the reaction”

newmercman:
In light of the recent changes to driving hours/tachos I may be wrong, but you could always reduce your weekly rest to 24hrs away from base or 36hrs at base, as long as you made up the time by the end of the 3rd following week, I think that you have to add the time in one block i.e. a minimum of 9hrs added to your weekly rest.

he had a reduced weekly rest the weekend before, so he wouldnt have been able to reduce it a second time, not without a full weekly rest in between.

thats from what i understand anyway!

Giblsa:

newmercman:

he had a reduced weekly rest the weekend before, so he wouldnt have been able to reduce it a second time, not without a full weekly rest in between.

thats from what i understand anyway!

As far as I know you can keep having 24/36 until you hit the end of week 3, I used to work on a firm that did 4wks on 6days off & we used to have 24 off each weekend then the 6days off used to set us straight again.