Question of hours

Ive read a lot of the threads here and am wondering about the hours rules...Im basically familiar with the fact that you can drive for 9 hours a day and 10 hours on 2 days of the week…so when its mentioned that an opt out has been signed...am I right in thinking that this DOESNT apply to DRIVING but applies to hours WORKED ? :confused:

So 48 hours is the standard but you can sign an opt out which takes it to a maximum of 60 hours ?..

I`m hoping my query is clear…(as mud ) :wink:

Thanks.

The opt is for Night working time . Night time drivers can opt out of a 10 hour working rule and basically work more hours . The WTD stays the same as in 48 hrs average over the period . You can work 60 hours a week but at the end of the WTD period your company has opted for ,your average needs to be 48 hrs , so you can only work so many 60 hour weeks .
If your salaried then you opt for less hours . :laughing: Unless the union gets greedy .

I guess I need to do a little more reading up on this…Ive not yet started working as a driver ( class 2 just 2 weeks ago )and Ive a few difficulties regarding children to sort out before I start but I have to admit to being a little confused with what seem to be a mass of conflicting rules and regulations…some relating to driving and rest etc and others relating to working time…I suppose once theyre put itno practice then itll all be clear…

Basically, you have to follow two sets of rules, Drivers Hours Rules and the Working Time Directive. They are completely seperate but both apply at the same time.

As long as you satisfy the Drivers Hours Rules but make sure you have at least a 30 minute break per 6hrs of duty time (which can be your tacho break) regardless of whether you’ve done 4.5hrs driving or not, and do no more than 60hrs work in any week averaging out at no more than 48hrs work over 26 weeks, you’ll be OK.