48 hour average working week opt out

I have only had chance to post but last week the company I work for had my sign paperwork. I was told it was to opt out of the 48 hour average working week. But I thought this was not possible as we as drivers are exempt from opting out of this. They told me sign this because you need to opt out of the 48 hour week because we do over them hours every week. Anyone else heard of this or am I being ■■■■■■■■■■■?

It has to be a collective workforce agreement to opt out of it i believe…

You can’t opt out of the 48 hour average.

The paper you signed was worthless.

daftvader:
It has to be a collective workforce agreement to opt out of it i believe…

Thats for a 10 hour night shift. As tachograph said, the 48 hour rule cannot be opt’ed out of.

I think you or your employer are confusing the Working Time Directive with the Road Transport Directive (Working Time)
The former was introduced for most workers except mobile workers (eg Truck drivers) and some other professions.
The Working Time Directive allows an employee to opt out of the 48 hour week.

However the Road Transport directive (Working Time) Regulations introduced in 2005 for mobile workers, don’t allow an opt out of the 48 hour week, they do allow, with a workforce agreement, a change from a 17 to a 26 week reference period for working out your average weekly working hours and also to opt of of the night working regulations.

You are opting out of working a maximum of 48hrs in a set week,you will still have to average under 48hrs over your reference period.

that’s exactly what I thought, so I do not have a clue what they had me sign then :confused: I thought it was the case, we as mobile workers are not aloud to opt out of the 48 hour rule. So who wants to guess what I ■■■■■■■ signed lol?!

they must have had a hidden agenda and you’ve secretly signed up to some crazy scheme like working Christmas Day for basic lol

xichrisxi:
You are opting out of working a maximum of 48hrs in a set week,you will still have to average under 48hrs over your reference period.

Not really, as a truck driver you’re not covered by the WTD 1998, so therefore you can’t really opt out of something you’re not opted into in the first place.

ash 001:
that’s exactly what I thought, so I do not have a clue what they had me sign then :confused: I thought it was the case, we as mobile workers are not aloud to opt out of the 48 hour rule. So who wants to guess what I [zb] signed lol?!

Whatever you’ve signed has no legal standing if it means you’ve opted out of the 48 hour week, whatever any of your management says about it.

ash 001:
So who wants to guess what I [zb] signed lol?!

You signed proof that your boss doesn’t know what he’s talking about :smiley:

ash 001:

Hopefully your deportation bellend! :smiley:

NickW88:
they must have had a hidden agenda and you’ve secretly signed up to some crazy scheme like working Christmas Day for basic lol

Don’t tell me that, I wont be there that long fingers crossed anyway!

tachograph:

ash 001:

You signed proof that your boss doesn’t know what he’s talking about :smiley:

Lol that is a very true statement sir!