Question of experience!

I had an assessment drive for a company in Corby on Friday for a class 2 job. All went well driving a new Volvo rigid.
First time driving an automatic LGV and i found it very comfortable. Anyway, when we arrived back at the depot /yard the assessor asked if i would reverse into a loading dock!!!

As a newbie i have never had to do this, up till yet in the month since i got my licence i have been driving very old Daf’ curtain sider delivering coffee which has been forklifted off the side. So you can imagine that i was very nervous ( underestimation of how i really felt).

I have got to say i made a bit of hash of it, i had to shunt forward / backwards a couple of times and even then i wasn’t straight.
My question to you who are experienced is " Are there any tips you can give me??"
This is a real headache because although the assessor said my drive was safe and progressive he could tell i was a new driver due to the reverse into the dock.
I don’t find out till Monday if i got the job, i will keep you informed but at this time i dont think i will be offered the job even though the company states it is part of a national programme of training new drivers ie NVQ.
Any help appreciated.
Phil

who was it for just out of interest?

As you said - you just need to practice and that usually means getting a job to gain experience - the old catch 22 again.
Maybe this company will see your potential and train you further.

Did you tell the assessor that you had not done this type of manoeuvre before :question:
If not, why not :question:

The company is David Maxim, and i told the assessor that it was a first in an auto and a first reversing up to a dock. Company seems very good, if i dont get it this time i would definately apply again once i have a bit more experience.

philscoot:
i told the assessor that it was a first in an auto and a first reversing up to a dock.

Well done, many will not do that!! - In that case the assessor will not be expecting a perfect whatever but will be expecting everything to be done safely - at least, a good assessor will.

Unless of course you had no idea what-so-ever of what the assessor required you to do and were clueless as to how to even start doing it - that does not seem like you from what you posted :smiley:

It doesn’t matter how tight and difficult a bay is it’s still a hundred times easier and less awkward than opening and closing both curtains on a windy and rainy day!

Warren T. Claim:
It doesn’t matter how tight and difficult a bay is it’s still a hundred times easier and less awkward than opening and closing both curtains on a windy and rainy day!

I’ve seen shunters having a hard time gettin it on the bay. If your unlucky you could always ask if you could do some PT work for them