Getting experience :-(

Hi all I’m curious if anyone has any pointers to the problem of having no experience for driving LGV vehicles,
I have only passed both tests within a short period of time, having not gained any experience in driving this type of vehicles at all.
I went for a driving assessment with a local company after a friend who works there got me a application form on the understanding that they knew I had just passed my tests which they said would be ok as long as I was a safe driver!!!

So on the day I was shown the vehicle and told how they wanted the checks to be done, OK this was still fresh in my mind as I only passed beginning of March. I was informed all about the vehicle since it was a new Volvo with auto transmission, other new gadgets and air/height adjustable suspension. Ok understood that… although this was new to me I understood how they were working as I worked on vehicles for the last twenty years but did put me at ease. We found a trailer for the assessment which had a couple of faults the assessor was going to drive first anyways to explain what they were looking for while driving so said we could stop off get the trailer fixed… only a simple wire fault and start my test. after a bit of a delay we got started everything seemed to go well he even commented on my driving saying if my reverse was as good as my driving I would have no issues, :neutral_face: I must admit my reverse could of been better went passed the opening on my right tried to get the trailer 45deg to the opening as I could, with the front cab pointing to the right ready to push trailer’s backend to my right on reverse if that makes sense but didn’t have the room to complete the manoeuvre so was told to pull forward and try again which I did this time the trailer and cab were at a right angle to the opening to which I reversed in although very slowly and after I got out to check n/s was ok I did shunt just to make sure I was straight then unhitched trailer. Now I know the guy was late for his next assessment but felt I had done something majorly wrong and he was rushing me out, He did say that I was in the wrong place for that reverse Which I understood after I started the reverse, anyways walking back to the office he said he would have a word with the boss to see what he thinks… maybe I could be paired up with me friend to get a bit more experience, there was also an induction on Tuesday if I wanted to attend Unpaid!!! But no confirmation of a job…

Today I get a phone call off me friend to say the boss doesn’t want to take the risk so no job!!! Why did they even bother I was upfront with my pass dates and no experience, my three points which are off in a month’s time and that my licence was just sent away.

Now I’m thinking was my reverse that bad■■? How do I get experience in reversing■■? think my problems in getting a driving job are just starting :unamused:

Paul

You’re probably reading into it a bit too deep, maybe an experienced driver came along and they chose him / her rather than take the risk of a new driver. They might have considered a new driver if no better solution came up.

OK so you have taken a knock back, but the feedback generally seemed positive and you got some extra time behind the wheel. You’ve got nothing to lose here, you could sound out the assessor and see if they would let you drive a shift with another driver on an unpaid basis with a view to potential future employment. They can only say no.

You are sitting there wondering but there is a solution - ask the assessor and the Boss what you need to improve on for future assessments - this sort of feedback is invaluable but you must ask.

I have been back today to pickup some paper work that I left behind… and he did say it was down to experience but when quizzed further
it was the reverse that let me down (did’nt say which part though), I wish he just said this at the beginning there would have been no hard feelings about it I am a new driver and understand these trucks cost a fortune to repair if damaged. Im not the type of person that would take dangerous shortcuts as it’s my reputation/driving career (although new)on the line aswell. Maybe I should of asked for another go because I feel I could of done better.

Never mind I have getting that of my chest and feel a lot better :smiley:

I do feel more concerned going for jobs now because of no experience… catch 22

paul

I know it changes nothing jobwise but does knowing the reason put your mind more at ease :question:

Just keep knocking on doors, its not about applying in paper, its about getting your face in the door and being there at the point they need someone.

With people not wanting to take risks these days, being in their yard asking is your biggest asset! As they’d rather take a risk with a driver than risk loosing a contract when someones off sick or resigned

Alex

ROG:
does knowing the reason put your mind more at ease :question:

It would put my mind more at ease simply because I could learn from my mistake and that what experience is but not knowing
what mistake I have made doesn’t help one bit. If i had made a major mistake why let me reverse in again!!! which went in with
no problems■■? I have a feeling your going to say give the guy a ring :slight_smile: which I do have his number but don’t want to give the immpression
that i’m harrassing him.

I know this will play on my mind because i like to do things the best i can even if it takes me awhile, spending that time to improve things
means U get better… unless i go out and buy my own truck I can’t see how I can improve :grimacing:

It’s not the knock back that’s given me grief it’s the not knowing… I guess I should be happy passing both tests C & C+E first time
with only six minors on each which I am and i feel for the people who have failed there test but I think this has lead me into a false sence of security

Paul

Scarab:
Just keep knocking on doors, its not about applying in paper, its about getting your face in the door and being there at the point they need someone.

With people not wanting to take risks these days, being in their yard asking is your biggest asset! As they’d rather take a risk with a driver than risk loosing a contract when someones off sick or resigned

Alex

Thanks Alex have taken note of this.

I would’nt want to be given a job because they are desperate but because I’m safe and the right person for the job, I do understand where you are comming from though and that it would work in my favour. :slight_smile:

Paul

Deffo worth banging on doors,turn up be polite and presentable and leave a card with your name and number. It’s worked for me before, just got to keep trying.

Persistance is the key to this one as i have found out. Like the others have said get out there and knock on doors and let them know youll drive anything even a van. Also go and sign yourself to as many agencies as you can and again tell them youll drive anything. Keep ringing them up every week with your avaliability and sooner or later something will come up. I passed my C in oct 08 and CE in nov 08 and it took me until about march 09 until i got my first job. For the past year i’ve steadily been getting more work, mainly class 2 and the odd van job, but now my persistance has finally started to pay off as for the past few weeks i’ve been doing the odd bit of night trunking on the artics (and i’ve been loving it :smiley: ). The time in which it has taken me may be a bit off putting, but my avaliability has been very limited due to my full time job commitments (only avaliable on weekends, odd days in the week and holidays), so i suspect if i was avaliable full time i would probably have got there quicker. Just be polite, show them you are keen and DON’T GIVE UP :exclamation: It’ll be worth it it in the end. As i’ve said i’m loving it now i’m finally in the artics and cant wait to do more :grimacing: Good luck mate and keep your chin up :wink:

I think it’s more to do with proving yourself, get the job done with no problems, bring back the truck in one piece, that’s all most employers want, so look at companies that have vans, rigids & artics, try and get on vans if nothing else then your in when a job on the artics come up :smiley:

how is it Polish blokes can get work without a UK license or any proof of experience :question:

Gator:
how is it Polish blokes can get work without a UK license or any proof of experience :question:

Anyone with a licence in the EU can use it in any EU country

Getting proof of experience is very difficult to check on when the driver is not a native one

Not knowing a lot about licences from other EU countries, I wonder if the date of passing the test is on every EU licence :question:

Any Driving Licence issued from the EU is in the same format as our ones in the UK, so it quotes a ‘From’ and ‘To’ period. So yes Driving Licences issued from the EU will show when the Test was passed by the holder.

Richard
:slight_smile:

I think that many employers have the exact profile that they are looking for when they advertise a vacancy,be it age ,experience,■■■.orientation or any other prejudices that they may have, but the trouble lies with the law which forbids discrimination.You find yourself applying for jobs and you haven’t got a hope in hell of getting it because you don’t fit the profile.Does anyone really expect to be given honest feedback as to why they didn’t get the job when to do so would be tantamount to admitting discrimination ? I really do think that all these politically correct counter-discrimination laws are a waste of time ,let employers advertise for whoever they want and we will all know where we stand.

To be fair these assessments are not much use, they assess you to the way they want you to drive, but the company next door have a different standard of assessment. The assessment is only to see if you can follow a simple instruction safely,

I doubt you lost the job on your reversing skills alone as there are some drivers who have driven artics for 30 years and are still struggling, and a newly passed driver who can put a 20’ skelly anywhere.

keep trying i got a break after 6 months as for the reverse dont worry what the bloke said or thinks YOU GOT IN IN YOUR WAY SAFELY there is no written law on getting it on bay just watch me lol some days 1 hit others 5 or 6 the main thing is get the delivery or collection completed thats what we are paid for ,not how many times or angles we use too park it up