Question for the Stobart boys

I’ve got an application for Stobarts, but although i have my Class 1 licence, I have no Artic experience as i passed on W + D.
Might it be worth asking if they can give me half a day’s training on it unpaid or something?
I’m agency driving at the moment, but only class 2. Nobody wants a driver with no experience of class 1, but how am i supposed to get experience when nobody will give me a chance?
I really want to get on with Stobarts as they seem like a good firm to work for, pay well and it’ll be full time work too.

Any help will be appreciated.

Charlie.

Charlie873:
I’ve got an application for Stobarts, but although i have my Class 1 licence, I have no Artic experience as i passed on W + D.
Might it be worth asking if they can give me half a day’s training on it unpaid or something?
I’m agency driving at the moment, but only class 2. Nobody wants a driver with no experience of class 1, but how am i supposed to get experience when nobody will give me a chance?
I really want to get on with Stobarts as they seem like a good firm to work for, pay well and it’ll be full time work too.

Charlie.

It’s not the impression I get unless you fancy doing 15 hours a day delivering to Tossco but I may be wrong :frowning:

Would be good move to get your experience in though.

Charlie873:

Charlie.

your not gonna be getting on telly

Charlie873:

Charlie.

:laughing:

Charlie873:

Charlie.

I see that Stobarts run quite a few wagon and drag outfits, so maybe they’d accommodate you that way?

i dont think they will give you any training at all but if you pass assessment then you have 2 day induction and after that you can drive as much as u like your just a number at stobarts a pallet of drinks from britvic is far more important so i would suggest a few hours with an instructor if not just blag it, the wages are average like the majority of driving jobs, am on general haulage and only done 2 store delivery’s which makes a change from rdc work, the assessment on the chilled side is different i think because they split couple, dont let the stobbie haters put you off there probably bitter because they failed the assessment if your a family man and want regular work then go for it, you may never see them much but least u wont have to worry about paying for xmas, personally i feel tramping is alot easier than the day work you are treated differently, hope this helps

Thanks Dusty, thats a great help. I’ll get my form off on Monday and see what happens. I really want to get into tramping.

[

your not gonna be getting on telly

[/quote]

Thats alright then because I hate being on telly :smiley:

Hiya Chazzer. I see from one of your earlier posts that you are in Mansfield. Get in touch with your nearest ESL Depot. Tell them that you have your C+E, that you have Drawbar, and European experience. Then see how you go from there.I don,t know (having retired 11 years ago, after 15 years with them), where their nearest depot to you is now ; But even if it is at Crick, if you get tramping for them, it is just a once either way commute each week, for which you will be getting paid in the region of £600 per week. Get your friend “Google” on the job. Put Eddie Stobart Limited in the browser, and you will get the info that you need. Good Luck with that.

Take no notice of the negative crap that you will see getting posted on here about them. Mr 44 Ton Ton especially seems to have a problem with giving any helpful. supportive advice to Newbies. He should really get treatment for his anti -Newbie paranoia . What,s up 44TT , getting old are you, and with it getting resentful of younger drivers who are trying to get a foothold in this industry?? Don,t forget, like me you will have had better times as a wagon driver, than many of these lads are going to have. What with the many restrictions put on their ability to enjoy the job, placed on them by the WTD/H&S/ and other EU regulations. I personally do not envy them. But unlike you, I do try to offer help, where I can.

Also Charlie, do not judge the company by the muppets who have been chosen to represent it on the current Channel 5 program about the company. Whoever selected them must have a grudge against the firm.

I would have said Newark chilled is nearer.

Ken.

Buycrider:
Hiya Chazzer. I see from one of your earlier posts that you are in Mansfield. Get in touch with your nearest ESL Depot. Tell them that you have your C+E, that you have Drawbar, and European experience. Then see how you go from there.I don,t know (having retired 11 years ago, after 15 years with them), where their nearest depot to you is now ; But even if it is at Crick, if you get tramping for them, it is just a once either way commute each week, for which you will be getting paid in the region of £600 per week. Get your friend “Google” on the job. Put Eddie Stobart Limited in the browser, and you will get the info that you need. Good Luck with that.

Take no notice of the negative crap that you will see getting posted on here about them. Mr 44 Ton Ton especially seems to have a problem with giving any helpful. supportive advice to Newbies. He should really get treatment for his anti -Newbie paranoia . What,s up 44TT , getting old are you, and with it getting resentful of younger drivers who are trying to get a foothold in this industry?? Don,t forget, like me you will have had better times as a wagon driver, than many of these lads are going to have. What with the many restrictions put on their ability to enjoy the job, placed on them by the WTD/H&S/ and other EU regulations. I personally do not envy them. But unlike you, I do try to offer help, where I can.

Also Charlie, do not judge the company by the muppets who have been chosen to represent it on the current Channel 5 program about the company. Whoever selected them must have a grudge against the firm.

I’d like you to show me any anti-newbie posts I’ve made? I highlighted the well paid bit because it’s laughable! :wink:

I would have laughed at the first post if I thought it was serious.

Working for free in this climate get a grip Charlie, givvover :open_mouth:

It just shows how stupid the C & C+E tests are, at least the old HGV classes allowed taking the test in a similar vehicle to what you were being licensed to drive.

There’s no reason they won’t give you a chance mate, they like people to work their way anyway, so you might be a better prospect than people with experience / bad habits.

People laugh at the pay well statement, but on a weeks wage, they’re around the same as the rest.

If you have an assessment, just take your time, nerves can be a ■■■■■■■■ but just keep revs in the green etc.

Thanks for all your help lads. Folk are slating the wages, But it’s got to be better than what I’m getting now. Plus agency work can grind to a halt at a moments notice which is less than ideal.
Stobarts seem to have a bit of pride about themselves in they’re manner and appearance which is a value I miss since leaving the Army.

You could do worse. Just make sure you have a set routine for coupling & uncoupling the trailer and never deviate from it (pull the pin last & triple check the legs are down and the suzies are unplugged!), if someone talks to you, start again. Then just be uber careful not to damage anything, if you’re not sure, get out and have a look and if you just can’t do a manouver, say so, better than damaging the tackle. If you’re poilte and well turned out you may just get on for them.

Charlie873:
Thanks for all your help lads. Folk are slating the wages, But it’s got to be better than what I’m getting now. Plus agency work can grind to a halt at a moments notice which is less than ideal.
Stobarts seem to have a bit of pride about themselves in they’re manner and appearance which is a value I miss since leaving the Army.

stobbies do run w+D but i think there mostly ■■■■■■■ with fulltime drivers because they get left alone but there work is pretty much the same week in week out ie coca cola, as an example of wages i tramp from sun to thurs never done more than 2 drops per shift obviously things are not great all the time but i get paid evry two weeks and usually around £1100 and i dont chase the hours as much as most if i can take home £500 pw i am happy enough and so are the family, i no people earn more and i no people earn less but looking at the bigger picture i sit in my own company listen to what music i like and simply steer, most of the work is rdc so simple reversing onto bays once you get up too speed with the ■■■■ rules of rdc’s, if youve never driven an artic b4 i would defo advise gettin in some hours with an instructor though like hooking up to the trailer and the certain do;s and donts, after a couple of hours you will be confident enough am not sure on pricing for 4 hours training these days but i would say thats all you would need, but i suppose thats down to you and your decision, if you want the job as much as you say then best to be prepared,

Silver_Surfer:
You could do worse. Just make sure you have a set routine for coupling & uncoupling the trailer and never deviate from it (pull the pin last & triple check the legs are down and the suzies are unplugged!), if someone talks to you, start again. Then just be uber careful not to damage anything, if you’re not sure, get out and have a look and if you just can’t do a manouver, say so, better than damaging the tackle. If you’re poilte and well turned out you may just get on for them.

top advice this.

i got my class one at 23, and thought i’d be screwed, but with a bit of persistence, i got a break.
give it a go, and good luck.

44 Tonne Ton:
I’d like you to show me any anti-newbie posts I’ve made? I highlighted the well paid bit because it’s laughable! :wink:

A case in point. On Friday the 1st of October, Sambo 45 asked for info. relating to Stobart pay days.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62767 Your response is there for you to read.

FYI. He is 22. Has rented a house in Penrith for 5 years,–( he has an excellent relationship with his “Ma and Pa” )–in order to be more quickly available for the many Urgent Road repair call-outs that the company he has worked for, since he was 16, regularly get. He works 6 days per week. He paid his way through his C and C+E training, and passed both First Time. He is trying to get experience by doing w/e Casual work, for Stobart and others, but because of the WTD he can only do 1 day HGV driving per fortnight. That is the reason that i took umbrage at your response to Charlie873,s post. I make no apology for that. In my view , rightly or wrongly, you were acting “true to form”.

Insofar as the "well paid job , being laughable), comment that you made, in response to Charlie 873,s post, is concerned . It is ok for you to boast about how Very Very Highly paid you are. That should not give you the right to belittle others, who are not as Very Very Highly paid as you. You should show more maturity M8ee; Be a little less boastful.

You can respond to this post, in whatever manner you choose. I have better things to do than get into protracted bouts of bitter exchanges on this forum. E O S. TaTa.

Buycrider:

44 Tonne Ton:

A case in point. On Friday the 1st of October, Sambo 45 asked for info. relating to Stobart pay days.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62767 Your response is there for you to read.

FYI. He is 22. Has rented a house in Penrith for 5 years,–( he has an excellent relationship with his “Ma and Pa” )–in order to be more quickly available for the many Urgent Road repair call-outs that the company he has worked for, since he was 16, regularly get. He works 6 days per week. He paid his way through his C and C+E training, and passed both First Time. He is trying to get experience by doing w/e Casual work, for Stobart and others, but because of the WTD he can only do 1 day HGV driving per fortnight. That is the reason that i took umbrage at your response to Charlie873,s post. I make no apology for that. In my view , rightly or wrongly, you were acting “true to form”.

Insofar as the "well paid job , being laughable), comment that you made, in response to Charlie 873,s post, is concerned . It is ok for you to boast about how Very Very Highly paid you are. That should not give you the right to belittle others, who are not as Very Very Highly paid as you. You should show more maturity M8ee; Be a little less boastful.

You can respond to this post, in whatever manner you choose. I have better things to do than get into protracted bouts of bitter exchanges on this forum. E O S. TaTa.

Jeezus! I’ve got a stalker! The hourly rate posted on here for Stobarts makes it fair game in my book! I personally think that when you take into account what it’s costing now to get a class 1 licence, particularly for newbies who won’t be allowed behind the wheel unless they have their driver CPC and Digicard too,along with the resposibility that goes with the job, you might just think it merits more than shelf stacking money! Now show me again where I’m having a pop at a newbie? Crap wages, crap firms etc are fair game and always will be. :wink:

44 Tonne Ton:
The hourly rate posted on here for Stobarts makes it fair game in my book! I personally think that when you take into account what it’s costing now to get a class 1 licence, particularly for newbies who won’t be allowed behind the wheel unless they have their driver CPC and Digicard

I am not going into the rights and wrongs of your posts or anyone else’s for that matter. But I do remember my class one costing me a months wages many years ago. The driver CPC is new and everyone has to pay for a digicard if they want a shiny new truck.