Question for the Stobart boys

Wheel Nut:

44 Tonne Ton:
The hourly rate posted on here for Stobarts makes it fair game in my book! I personally think that when you take into account what it’s costing now to get a class 1 licence, particularly for newbies who won’t be allowed behind the wheel unless they have their driver CPC and Digicard

I am not going into the rights and wrongs of your posts or anyone else’s for that matter. But I do remember my class one costing me a months wages many years ago. The driver CPC is new and everyone has to pay for a digicard if they want a shiny new truck.

Yeah but you had a decent chance of earning it back in a reasonable time Malc, like me…I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, if it reaches the point where I can’t get a considerably better rate for driving a heavy than for being a shelf stacker I will give it up! I didn’t put out the money I did to give my time cheaply to the likes of Stobarts.

theres some bollox written on here…when ya have ya assetment just tell them youve got little expierence…if you have been honest on ya apllication form then they would know anyway…im tramper mon to fri …wages are usually 1100 in the bank every other week thats just 4 nights out …
ive never had any grief with them and never been forced to work extra shift…
on friday i borke down at iceland swindon with a blown air bag on trailer…i had to wait 4 hrs for fitter to get it fixed…it wasnt a stobart trailer it was a mcvities and i still had a load out of melksham to pick up and get it to ashby de la zouch then back to crick solo…becaue of the break down i didnt have the hours to do this… stobarts sent a driver from bridgwater empty to swap trailers for me so he could collect from ahsby…then stobarts let me run empty back to crick so i could get home…theres a lot of firms out there that would of forced ya to run in on saturday…so they cant be that bad…
best bit of advice ignore some of the idiots on here try job for ya self if ya dont like then jack simple as that …
dont worry about no expierence …theyll still take ya on if ya pass the interview process

stvme2519:
theres some bollox written on here…when ya have ya assetment just tell them youve got little expierence…if you have been honest on ya apllication form then they would know anyway…im tramper mon to fri …wages are usually 1100 in the bank every other week thats just 4 nights out …
on friday i borke down at iceland swindon with a blown air bag on trailer…i had to wait 4 hrs for fitter to get it fixed…it wasnt a stobart trailer it was a mcvities and i still had a load out of melksham to pick up and get it to ashby de la zouch then back to crick solo…becaue of the break down i didnt have the hours to do this… stobarts sent a driver from bridgwater empty to swap trailers for me so he could collect from ahsby…then stobarts let me run empty back to crick so i could get home…theres a lot of firms out there that would of forced ya to run in on saturday…so they cant be that bad…
best bit of advice ignore some of the idiots on here try job for ya self if ya dont like then jack simple as that …
dont worry about no expierence …theyll still take ya on if ya pass the interview process

1100 a week. i smell doggy doo dah

gogzy:

stvme2519:

1100 a week. i smell doggy doo dah

…im tramper mon to fri …wages are usually 1100 in the bank every other week thats just 4 nights out …

i didnt say a week i said every other week

Charlie873:
I’ve got an application for Stobarts, but although i have my Class 1 licence, I have no Artic experience as i passed on W + D.
Might it be worth asking if they can give me half a day’s training on it unpaid or something?
I’m agency driving at the moment, but only class 2. Nobody wants a driver with no experience of class 1, but how am i supposed to get experience when nobody will give me a chance?
I really want to get on with Stobarts as they seem like a good firm to work for, pay well and it’ll be full time work too.

Any help will be appreciated.

Charlie.

1.have you not got a mate you could go with,another agency driver instead of paying instructor.
2. get on general if you can,all our fridge drivers who have gone on general /tramping, say its alot better organised,more regular hours,not 5/6 one day ,15 next,£300 one week,£600 the next,far easier to budget when your young like you.
3. isnt balborough nr you,just up m1[not sure exactly what work they do, but id of thought up/down m1 was easier than 617 every day.
4.had to show a fair few newbies the job, none were perfect,some far from it,but with time theyve got there, so dont worry too much,tell the truth and id think your in with a shot.
best of luck

1100 quid every two weeks at just over 8 pound a hour whats sort of hours you doing for that ?

hyper26:
1100 quid every two weeks at just over 8 pound a hour whats sort of hours you doing for that ?

last weeks pay,days,no nights out
driv stand bonus -4 -3.50-14.00
meal /all-----------6-13.00-78.00
mon-fri/6a.m-6p.m36.5–7.60-277.40
mon-fri/6p.m-6a.m-8.25-8.50-70.13
sat hrs00.01-15.00-10.50-9.90-103.95
sat/dayhrs15.00-06-2.25-11.40-25.65
sun hrs/06.00-06-14.50-10.90-158.05
total 727.18
ded -tax 105
n.i -59.31
pens-25.00
net pay 537.87
72 hrs isnt it, note i get zb about with 6/7/13/15 ,id guess the trampers who get more regular hours[12hrs] would achieve the £550 alot more easily than me,so its easily possible.

ady1:

hyper26:

last weeks pay,days,no nights out
driv stand bonus -4 -3.50-14.00
meal /all-----------6-13.00-78.00
mon-fri/6a.m-6p.m36.5–7.60-277.40
mon-fri/6p.m-6a.m-8.25-8.50-70.13
sat hrs00.01-15.00-10.50-9.90-103.95
sat/dayhrs15.00-06-2.25-11.40-25.65
sun hrs/06.00-06-14.50-10.90-158.05
total 727.18
ded -tax 105
n.i -59.31
pens-25.00
net pay 537.87
72 hrs isnt it, note i get zb about with 6/7/13/15 ,id guess the trampers who get more regular hours[12hrs] would achieve the £550 alot more easily than me,so its easily possible.

It seems to me the Drivers who brag about their Wedge the most show the least amount of Proof of such Wedge :grimacing:

As Shown above yet again a Stobart driver has shown proof of their Wedge so now its the Braggers turn IMHO :wink:
Just for the Record i’m a Night tramper Mon to Fri with Stobbies and Yesterday was payday and i received a Wedge of £1252.79 for the fortnight but i did work a Saturday shift as extra at 10.50 hours for the Saturday at 11.40 an hour.Oh and here in the south £25.00 a week London weighting :smiley:

44 Tonne Ton:

Charlie873:
I’ve got an application for Stobarts, but although i have my Class 1 licence, I have no Artic experience as i passed on W + D.
Might it be worth asking if they can give me half a day’s training on it unpaid or something?
I’m agency driving at the moment, but only class 2. Nobody wants a driver with no experience of class 1, but how am i supposed to get experience when nobody will give me a chance?
I really want to get on with Stobarts as they seem like a good firm to work for, pay well and it’ll be full time work too.

Any help will be appreciated.

Charlie.

:laughing:

they pay like 99% of transport firms, a average wage if you do 70/80 hrs p.w,do 50 odd[its easily possible on fridges/not very likely on general] and id have to agree with you, its zb terrible ,but who do you blame us, we all chase the hours,there never going to pay us £10 p.h,x1.5 o/t/sat,week,x2 sun as wed be still all going flat out to bang in 80 odd hours,it would be 1,000 +,and stobarts or 99% of normal companies wont pay it how ever much it ■■■■■■ us off.
unless we all change our mentallity which will never happen, stobarts and the rest will carry on with the £7+ p.h wages

Wheel Nut:
I would have laughed at the first post if I thought it was serious.

Working for free in this climate get a grip Charlie, givvover :open_mouth:

It just shows how stupid the C & C+E tests are, at least the old HGV classes allowed taking the test in a similar vehicle to what you were being licensed to drive.

Not exactly as a getting a class 3 would have covered you for a 38 tonner 2 + 3 wagon and drag outfit or a class 2 would cover a 3 + 2 or 3 + 3.Although having said that most test vehicles did’nt relate to what they were using in the real world anyway and most guvnors would’nt give anyone a start on decent work anyway regardless of what you’d driven or the licencing system as it was.I should know because I applied (unsuccessfully) to enough firms for wagon and drag work with a class 2 and then both wagon and drag and artic work with a class 1.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

It just shows how stupid the C & C+E tests are, at least the old HGV classes allowed taking the test in a similar vehicle to what you were being licensed to drive.

Not exactly as a getting a class 3 would have covered you for a 38 tonner 2 + 3 wagon and drag outfit or a class 2 would cover a 3 + 2 or 3 + 3.Although having said that most test vehicles did’nt relate to what they were using in the real world anyway and most guvnors would’nt give anyone a start on decent work anyway regardless of what you’d driven or the licencing system as it was.I should know because I applied (unsuccessfully) to enough firms for wagon and drag work with a class 2 and then both wagon and drag and artic work with a class 1.

Yes I agree, iirc it was about 1983 when the HGV limit rose from 32500 on 4 to 38t on 5 axles. However this doesn’t affect this thread, or the fact you could not get a job “driving proper trucks on a proper route”

I took my class three in a 12 tonne gross TK and my Class One in a Merc with a 40’ tandem flat

ive found a old wage slip …this is on old wage rate of £7.20 a hour the meal allowance is also higher now and the night out money so now it would be 40p a hour more plus extra for meals and night out…here is a full breakdown on the old rate for a weeks work
meal allowance 5 days at £12.15 total £60.75 tax free
night out 4 nights at £20.50 total £82 tax free
ops bonus 5 days at £5 total
monday to fri day hours worked between 06:00 and 18:00 36hrs at £7.20 total £259.20
monday to fri hours worked between 18:00 and 06:00 21.5hrs at £8.10 total £174.15
mondy starting before 06:00 5 hours at £10.50 total £52.50
expenses parking £22.50
total £676.10 taxable of that £676.10 £510.85 and rest non taxable at £165.25
deductions tax £77.20 nat ins £44.09 total deductions £121.29
total take home pay for 4 nights out monday to friday £554.81
so there you go argue with that lol thats it in a total breakdown so it is possible to take home more than 500 on £7.20 a hour
take away the parking at £22.50 its still £532 nad thats on the old rate weve since had a pay rise

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Yes I agree, iirc it was about 1983 when the HGV limit rose from 32500 on 4 to 38t on 5 axles. However this doesn’t affect this thread, or the fact you could not get a job “driving proper trucks on a proper route”

I took my class three in a 12 tonne gross TK and my Class One in a Merc with a 40’ tandem flat

In the context of the OP’s post I’d say that what I wrote there is relevant.Although the weight limits have continuously changed over the years the basic issue of no experience no job no experience has stopped plenty of drivers from progressing up the career ladder even when they’ve got the correct licences for the job they’re applying for.But there were plenty of operators using 3 + 2 5 axle wagon and drags long before 1983 regardless of when the actual change to 38 t was introduced and even in 1983 I was still a class 2 driver and still got shown the door for wagon and drag work even though I had the correct licence to do it at that time.Nothing changes.However you thought that it was relevant to point out,erroneously,that the old licencing system related to the similar types of vehcle that you were tested on.As I’ve pointed out that 12 tonne gross TK test would have got you a licence to drive a 2 + 2 32 tonner wagon and drag and 38 tonner 2 + 3 after the weight increase.But in this case the OP is finding exactly the same problem as I had all those years ago although having said that the traditional way to start out on wagon and drags was by coupling up a trailer to a rigid and getting on with it which is probably why the old HGV tests reflected that and that old class 2 licence would actually have covered a 60 + tonner by coupling a 45 footer composite/drawbar trailer to a six wheeler IF we’d have took the Scandinavian idea up and ditched artics. :unamused:

stvme2519:
ive found a old wage slip …this is on old wage rate of £7.20 a hour the meal allowance is also higher now and the night out money so now it would be 40p a hour more plus extra for meals and night out…here is a full breakdown on the old rate for a weeks work
monday to fri day hours worked between 06:00 and 18:00 36hrs at £7.20 total £259.20
monday to fri hours worked between 18:00 and 06:00 21.5hrs at £8.10 total £174.15
expenses parking £22.50
so there you go argue with that lol thats it in a total breakdown so it is possible to take home more than 500 on £7.20 a hour
take away the parking at £22.50 its still £532 nad thats on the old rate weve since had a pay rise

Yeah but your pay is made up of some tax free allowances which allowed you to pay tax and N.I. of £121 on a topline of £676! What do your day drivers earn for doing 57.5 hours? They won’t have 4 nights out @ £20.50 for starters. Do they get the meal allowance? Using your figures a day driver would appear to earn about £485 for 57.5 hours with early starts and late finishes before tax and not including any allowances. A shelf stacker on £7.50 an hour doing the 40 hours would earn £300. You would earn £304 for 40 @ £7.60
What I find interesting is this meal allowance you get? It seems generous and unusual that the taxman permits this which makes me wonder why it’s not much more common in this industry. Or are lots of people on a similar screw but keeping quiet about it?

44 Tonne Ton:

stvme2519:
expenses parking £22.50

Yeah but your pay is made up of some tax free allowances which allowed you to pay tax and N.I. of £121 on a topline of £676! What do your day drivers earn for doing 57.5 hours? They won’t have 4 nights out @ £20.50 for starters. Do they get the meal allowance? Using your figures a day driver would appear to earn about £485 for 57.5 hours with early starts and late finishes before tax and not including any allowances. A shelf stacker on £7.50 an hour doing the 40 hours would earn £300. You would earn £304 for 40 @ £7.60
What I find interesting is this meal allowance you get? It seems generous and unusual that the taxman permits this which makes me wonder why it’s not much more common in this industry. Or are lots of people on a similar screw but keeping quiet about it?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :wink: ,
:confused: last i heard i was a day shift driver :wink: :laughing: :laughing:
driv stand bonus-3x3.50=10.50
meal /allowance-5x13.00=65.00
mon-fri06.00-18.00-27.50x7.60=209.00
mon-fri18.0-06.00-5.25x8.5=44.63
sat day00.01-15.00-10.50x9.90=103.95
sat day15.00-06-6.00x11.40=68.40
sun hrs06.00-06-10.75x10.90=117.18
gross=618.66
tax=85.80
n.i=48.80
pens=25
net=459.06
thats for 60 hrs on days,havent got one for 57.5 hrs,but it would be about £600 basic.
we get everything trampers get other than night out money+ as many cream cakes as we can eat :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .
got loads of free scones today, how many drivers get them :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Your basic is the 50 hours your guaranteed! Anything else is bonuses, O/T etc. 50 x £7.60 = £380.
Shelf stacker 40 x £7.50 + 10 £7.50 x 1.5 = £412.50

So on a 50 hour week a shelf stacker earns more! And that’s Mon-Fri not Sat and Sun. When you look at the figures don’t you think a truck driver merits a higher rate?

44 Tonne Ton:
When you look at the figures don’t you think a truck driver merits a higher rate?

That old argument goes back to when trucks were first invented.

44 Tonne Ton:
Your basic is the 50 hours your guaranteed! Anything else is bonuses, O/T etc. 50 x £7.60 = £380.

So on a 50 hour week a shelf stacker earns more! And that’s Mon-Fri not Sat and Sun. When you look at the figures don’t you think a truck driver merits a higher rate?

but most if not all shelf stackers do part time,16,20 hrs p.w, ive never heard of a shelf stacker doing 40 hrs let alone 50 hrs
so they earn more like 20x7.50=£150 p.w,never £412.50 for shelf stacking.
id love £10/£15.00 p.h, but id still be doing every hour godsends, like 99% of drivers, its ingrained in us, with bonuses id be earning 1000+,stobarts or 99% of firms arnt going to pay it.
the other argument is i had a job ,£450 p.w,6 hrs per night, 30 hrs p.w,£15.00 per hour.
but that was it,it may of been £15.00 p.h, but at the end of the week it was £450.00 p.w, not the 6/7/800 p.w i can earn now,
whats best
£15.00 ph-£450 top line
or
£7.50 p.h-6/7/800 top line
:question:

ady1:

44 Tonne Ton:

but most if not all shelf stackers do part time,16,20 hrs p.w, ive never heard of a shelf stacker doing 40 hrs let alone 50 hrs
so they earn more like 20x7.50=£150 p.w,never £412.50 for shelf stacking.
id love £10/£15.00 p.h, but id still be doing every hour godsends, like 99% of drivers, its ingrained in us, with bonuses id be earning 1000+,stobarts or 99% of firms arnt going to pay it.
the other argument is i had a job ,£450 p.w,6 hrs per night, 30 hrs p.w,£15.00 per hour.
but that was it,it may of been £15.00 p.h, but at the end of the week it was £450.00 p.w, not the 6/7/800 p.w i can earn now,
whats best
£15.00 ph-£450 top line
or
£7.50 p.h-6/7/800 top line

:question:

I used the “shelf stacker” purely as an example. The important part is the hourly rate. £7.60 p.h. for driving a truck with all the associated costs of obtaining and keeping the licence and keeping yourself out of the arms of the law/VOSA. Or £7.50 p.h. in a job where absolutely no skills or expensively obtained qualifications are required ?