stobarts

this maybe of intrest to someone :bulb:

sat in the yard monday waiting for the stock to arrive so i can deliver it…and a stobart lorry arrives with a guy behind the wheel who was out on his own for the first time…anyway stobarts took him on from class 2 and paid for his class 1 he told me that he is going tramping from hams hall and that he had to committ to the company for a year :smiley:

Is it fair to say that companies that pay for class 1 training, even with a commitment clause, tend to be desperate for drivers and therefore not the best to work for?

Whether that’s true or not is debatable…but even if it were, stop and think about it for a minute…

Choice One - Pay a grand plus to do the Class One yourself. Struggle to get work due to lack of experience. End up doing either agency work (lack of security making it dodgy for those with families and financial commitments), Class 2 work (so still no experience), or working for any old cowboy that’ll give you a shot ( :open_mouth: ).

Choice Two - Let someone else pay for your training and test. Get a year’s guaranteed experience on type with a firm who may not be ideal, but it’s work and regular predictable money. At the end of the year be free to go elsewhere and have a reference to help you change jobs.

I know which I’d pick. :wink:

Always remember you’re at the bottom of the ladder in a whole new career…now isn’t the time to be fussy, especially when there’s potentially a lot of cash at stake!
Sure, some newbies fall straight into good, well paid jobs, but they are in the minority, so don’t assume you will be that lucky. A free licence and guaranteed experience has to be better than crossed fingers and hope, surely…if it doesn’t work out, what have you lost? Absolutely nothing. :grimacing:

I opted for choice 1 and did indeed end up with the cowboys :frowning: . I must admit I was lucky enough to afford to do it so when, after 6 months, I decided to quit I could do. It was my first time in the transport industry and it did come as a bit of a culture shock (mainly the long hours) so I think I, personnally did the right thing in not getting in a year commitment. If however you’re already driving class 2 and want to move up then I’d agree with choice 2 :wink:

After twelve months I’ve got to agree about the culture shock. Still wondering If I made the right chioce or an expensive mistake. Pity I enjoy the driving.

knight:
After twelve months I’ve got to agree about the culture shock. Still wondering If I made the right chioce or an expensive mistake. Pity I enjoy the driving.

Enjoyed the driving myself. Personnally, passing my class 1 had always been an ambition of mine so I’ll never regret doing it, even if I never use it again.

Lucy:
Whether that’s true or not is debatable…but even if it were, stop and think about it for a minute…

Choice One - Pay a grand plus to do the Class One yourself. Struggle to get work due to lack of experience. End up doing either agency work (lack of security making it dodgy for those with families and financial commitments), Class 2 work (so still no experience), or working for any old cowboy that’ll give you a shot ( :open_mouth: ).

Choice Two - Let someone else pay for your training and test. Get a year’s guaranteed experience on type with a firm who may not be ideal, but it’s work and regular predictable money. At the end of the year be free to go elsewhere and have a reference to help you change jobs.

I know which I’d pick. :wink: Couldn’t agree more with you Lucy.Any newbie out there that get’s a chance like this take it,coz it will give you that little bit of experiance that you need,and it could lead to better thing’s.I was told that it is easier to find work whilst working already,than it is too when your on the dole.Even if the job ■■■■’s it’s only for a year or so,use that time to find work when your out on the deliveries and collection’s.Just think of how many different haulage company’s you visit over the course of a week. :wink:

Always remember you’re at the bottom of the ladder in a whole new career…now isn’t the time to be fussy, especially when there’s potentially a lot of cash at stake!
Sure, some newbies fall straight into good, well paid jobs, but they are in the minority, so don’t assume you will be that lucky. A free licence and guaranteed experience has to be better than crossed fingers and hope, surely…if it doesn’t work out, what have you lost? Absolutely nothing. :grimacing:

couldn’t agree more with you there Lucy

I’m probably one of the lucky ones in the minority. I paid for my own class 1 went to an agency who paid holiday pay from day one, and have been able to gain the necessary experience to proverbially hold my own with the big boys with the less than wanted “minimum two years…” :laughing:
But as has already been mentioned, it was a risk one I considered worth taking :sunglasses:

Very sound advice Lucy. :smiley: