Q for Quinny (aka Ken)

Hiya Kenny,

Just thought this was the easiest way to contact you and maybe give some others the info to!

It’s my Uncles 90th Birthday in September this year.

He started WWII in the Army as part of the BEF in France but transferred to the RAF, 221 SQN after being evacuated via St Malo. He served with Bomber & Coastal Command in Canada, USA (training US navy pilots to drop torpedos) North Africa, Malta & Sicily then went to the Far East on PBY Catalina Flying boats 459 SQN with the RAAF/USN. Didn’t finish his wartime untill after Palastine was over (flying Anson gunships).

Now, I believe you’ve mentioned in the past, a connection with the Battle of Britain Flight. How do I contact them and would they possibly do a ‘flypast’ of the party we are planning. It would also be nice if you had any info on a current flying PBY in the UK although I believe theres 1 in Holland

ps I am contacting the closest RAF base which is Boulmer and we’re asking for a Helicopter flypast too due to the Catalina air sea rescue connection!

Thanks & regards

John

Oops, double post, will a mod take 1 away please?

zebadee:
Hiya Kenny,

Just thought this was the easiest way to contact you and maybe give some others the info to!

It’s my Uncles 90th Birthday in September this year.

He started WWII in the Army as part of the BEF in France but transferred to the RAF, 221 SQN after being evacuated via St Malo. He served with Bomber & Coastal Command in Canada, USA (training US navy pilots to drop torpedos) North Africa, Malta & Sicily then went to the Far East on PBY Catalina Flying boats 459 SQN with the RAAF/USN. Didn’t finish his wartime untill after Palastine was over (flying Anson gunships).

Now, I believe you’ve mentioned in the past, a connection with the Battle of Britain Flight. How do I contact them and would they possibly do a ‘flypast’ of the party we are planning. It would also be nice if you had any info on a current flying PBY in the UK although I believe theres 1 in Holland

ps I am contacting the closest RAF base which is Boulmer and we’re asking for a Helicopter flypast too due to the Catalina air sea rescue connection!

Thanks & regards

John

I always thought Hitler started it :open_mouth: :unamused:

I hope he has a great birthday, and you get your fly past

Hi John.

It is extremely difficult to get a flypast at short notice,as the RAF criteria has changed now,and unless the circumstances are exceptional,they have to be requested by the end of October the previous year,and even then you aren’t guaranteed to get one,although I’ve been lucky enough to have the 3 I requested.

You can give the events team an e.mail however,using the link below.They usually take a day or three to contact you.Or there is a phone number which is 01400 266834/266824,and again they do contact you eventually.

If you are lucky enough to get an application form,then ALL of the RAF aircraft are bookable, (Even the Eurofighter Typhoon!!!) if they are available on your chosen day,and displays are chargeable,(Don’t know the cost though.) whereas flypasts are usually foc if the aircraft is ‘in transit.’

If you want to find out about any possible surviving PBY,then register on the website of the second link,and post in the historic forum.I’m sure someone will know.

Good luck.

Ken.

raf.mod.uk/bbmf/contacts.cfm

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumd … d6b446&f=4

Hiya Ken,

Thanks mate, I thought you might have the info I needed :laughing: :sunglasses:

regards

John

We had a flypast yesterday :smiley:

Never odered it though…

Was a Hecules reckon he was was about 100’ above the house!! Guess he was going into Broughton, half expected him to hit Hope Mountain…