How many MoD here?

Air Training Corps - where I learned to dis and mantle a Browning machine gun.
Terriers - Robin Hood Foresters RE where I passed my motor bike test.
Merchant Navy - which gave me the start to seeing the world and membership of the Legion. Quite right too considering the apalling numbers who lost their lives in WW2 without even the chance to shoot back.

I hear they let anyone in now :cry:

Thread resurrected for the benefit of Hairygorilla and with acknowledgement to Bones and because I missed it first time round :laughing:

Salut, David.

Ex RAF 23yrs…

Think i may have worked with Rikki as i was a ■■■■■■ too from 1982-85…

Great days…!!!

Driving artics now rather than loading aircraft…

Logistics Loader:
Ex RAF 23yrs…

Great days…!!!

When I was at JHSU we were split between Rhine Barracks and RAF Odiham. I left in late 82
20+ years have faded the memory and names etc are hard to remember.
If you make it to the next post xmas drinky session we will probably be able to remind each other of names and faces !! :wink:
Will send you a PM when I have time with some recollections

Where’s post chrimbo drinky held at ■■?

Logistics Loader:
Where’s post chrimbo drinky held at ■■?

Not been arranged yet :wink: :open_mouth:

But it will probably be at a pub with a travel lodge attached, probably in Cannock :exclamation: :bulb:

Sounds good to me…

Hic !! :laughing:

I apologise if I ever offended ex -servicemen, or if any are on here, serving members of the services, the thread in question got rather heated and I got rather irate.

1st batt royal green jackets ex musician

greenjackets dont die just go to hell and re org

i was a ■■■■■■

Both you and Rikki where ■■■■■■’s :confused: Please do tell we are listening. :laughing: :laughing:

Went to an Army Boarding School near Bisley with marching and ex Army teachers and Beatings if that counts :blush:

KitKat,

We were called “Hookers” because our job was to prepare landrovers / tanks / supplies for attaching to thew underside of helicopters…
The slings and nets were attached to hooks on the underside of the aircraft…

Thereby earning us the nickname “Hookers”…
It became such a common term that we used it as our radio callsign when out on Exercise or away anywhere in the world…!!!

Here is a pic…

To attach the load, you have to stand on it and the helicopter has to hover over you low enough for the load to be attached…

Bear in mind the Chinook is 13tons too !!!

Yes, but you would have had a hard hat on wouldn’t you?
That’s alright then :sunglasses:

Salut, David.

No hard hat’s in them days…!!!

Even nowadays, safety helmets are the only items of headgear to be worn…!!!

The downdraught caused by the rotor blades can exceed 50mph if my memory is correct…

Corrugated tin sheets have been picked up by the downwash and thrown across fields…Even freightliner containers have been blown over. These weigh 2,200kgs empty !!!

Rgds

Logistics Loader:
KitKat,

We were called “Hookers” because our job was to prepare landrovers / tanks / supplies for attaching to thew underside of helicopters…
The slings and nets were attached to hooks on the underside of the aircraft…

Thereby earning us the nickname “Hookers”…
It became such a common term that we used it as our radio callsign when out on Exercise or away anywhere in the world…!!!

Here is a pic…

To attach the load, you have to stand on it and the helicopter has to hover over you low enough for the load to be attached…

Bear in mind the Chinook is 13tons too !!!

Logisics Loader,i know what the job involved,it was a joke. :laughing:

ex staffords, service number 24914320

Ex REME Reccy Mech. Joined ''65 left '77. Loved most of it and have never had the same good mates in civvy st as in the Army. Met loads of plebs( Ruperts mostly) but managed to ignore them. Served in Aden, Bahrain, Germany, 3 Op Banner tours ( Ireland). Those of you in the know will realise where and why the name ‘Zuluwarrior’ :blush: comes from. God bless all us ex forces, whoever you are.

bobitt:
service number 24914320

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: I didn’t even realise that they’d got passed 248***** numbers yet!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:wink:

Rikki-UK:

Logistics Loader:
Ex RAF 23yrs…

Great days…!!!

When I was at JHSU we were split between Rhine Barracks and RAF Odiham. I left in late 82
20+ years have faded the memory and names etc are hard to remember.
If you make it to the next post xmas drinky session we will probably be able to remind each other of names and faces !! :wink:
Will send you a PM when I have time with some recollections

can’t remember the names, but worked with your lot from 81 to 84. I was 27 lsg regt in Aldershot at the time, RHQ ran the radio store, your radio ops came under our wing for some reason, so we spent some time at Odiham and your lads at Buller, I left the Army in 86 from Bulford camp, but go to reunions every year and run a website involved in reuniting RCT lads who served in Belize (see sig)

zuluwarrior:
Those of you in the know will realise where and why the name ‘Zuluwarrior’ :blush: comes from. God bless all us ex forces, whoever you are.

an ex trouser dropper then were we :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Another ex scalie here, did 13yrs then the army gave me a large sum of money to leave (redundancy 1994) thankyou very much!!! Living back out in Germany, Paderborn to be exact. My wife is a nurse for the forces, and for what i have seen and heard the plebs are still in the army, however i am presently on a career break from ASDA as an LGV driver and as most of you will have probally witnessed there are plebs worrking there as well. As in most jobs be it forces or civilian you get the good and the bad.