How many MoD here?

Joined as Junior infantry (para regt) 1987. Too hard - transferred to RAOC as driver. Drove & serviced antiquated Bedfords & AEC Mk 1s (anyone remember knockers?) for 4 years. Retraded to Ammunition Technician (bomb disposal bloke to the uninitiated) & still serving.

In fact I’m a bit of an imposter on here as I’m not a professional driver like you lot. However, I do own an ERF EC11 wagon & drag which I’m converting to a horsebox. Does that count?

fozzie:
im ex 5th regt royal artillery got out late oct 04

JOIN THE ARMY BE DEPRESSED (jokin) :smiley:

i am an ex wedge head to the those who ae scratching there heads royal enginneers and damm proud 11 years man and boy served nearly all my time in bosnia what a lovely place that is in the winter not , :slight_smile: brrrrrrrrrrrr and did you know we have the most postumos VC in the britsh army now lets see how many try and prove me wrong . and what has been said in the past is history the above quote we had on our t shirts in the middle east and boy we were in some bother for that lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s very refreshing to see all the different occupations you guys have had within the MOD, every driver i’ve ever met and spoke to that has been ex MOD has beeb ex SAS,trained to kill, black belt in Karate to boot, millionare and only drives a truck for a hobby !!
Funny, but true.

Mike-C:
It’s very refreshing to see all the different occupations you guys have had within the MOD, every driver i’ve ever met and spoke to that has been ex MOD has beeb ex SAS,trained to kill, black belt in Karate to boot, millionare and only drives a truck for a hobby !!
Funny, but true.

How did you guess that about me ■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The 22 years as an RAF aircraft technician ( rigger for those in the know ) was just a cover story. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Reference army numbers they are now upto 251-----'s and there are 252-----'s just creeping in !!! How old does that make you feel

Currently MoD but of the pen pushing type - would have loved to join up as my dad and uncle were both in the Army but having Arthritis as a kid which put me in a wheelchair from 9 - 16 years and poor eyesite kind of ruled me out.

Logistics Loader:
No hard hat’s in them days…!!!

Even nowadays, safety helmets are the only items of headgear to be worn…!!!

The downdraught caused by the rotor blades can exceed 50mph if my memory is correct…

Corrugated tin sheets have been picked up by the downwash and thrown across fields…Even freightliner containers have been blown over. These weigh 2,200kgs empty !!!

Rgds

Your memory is quite correct, if a Chinook is pulling power, that is lifting a heavy load, the downdraft has been measured at 120mph.
They are capable of river hopping a Scorpion tank, 14 tons.
They can blow over loaded containers, I know, I saw one do it in the Falklands.

16 years British Army and 6 to go before having to get a real job! I’m in the AGC (Alf Garnett Commandos! That is I’m a Clerk (although most of the people I know call themselves Administrators!)) ex RAOC Staff Clerk, been to the Gulf on both occasions, Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Poland, Germany (for the most part) and next year will be off to the country where the poppies grow and Mr Taly Ban lives!

Looking forward to getting out and having a real job, hopefully driving!

In another thread here http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=78261#78261 an offensive comment about Army personnel has been made.

Judging by some of the responses, there are a few MoD people on here, either ex or still serving. So, starting a list, out of curiosity, how many of us actually are there?

I’ll start it by admitting to being one of them! :wink:

im ex mod and chose to ignore the remark on the thread

Guy Rope
My Army service number was 24230010 I did three years, unlike some who contribute to these forums I do not see the point in bringing it up every other mail.

perhaps guy could furnish you with a list of ex mod members :wink:

Yes me too

I’m ex RAMC, 20 years, Sgt, came out in 92 after serving in the Gulf 90-91.
Already had my HGV3 from the army, got my HGV1 in the TA.
Served twice in NI, once in the Falklands in 84, the Gulf 91, and served in Hong Kong, Germany and Cyprus.
I also qualified to drive Tanks.
Does that qualify me to be a pleb, no it flaming well doesn’t :angry: :imp: :imp:

I ignored the thread you refer to, I met many plebs, both in the forces and in civvy street, but I also met some ■■■■ fine people in the forces, including the only serving VC winner, and I can assure you, no one would call him a pleb.

Dratsabasti
I’m ex RAMC, 20 years, Sgt, came out in 92 after serving in the Gulf 90-91.
Already had my HGV3 from the army, got my HGV1 in the TA.
Served twice in NI, once in the Falklands in 84, the Gulf 91, and served in Hong Kong, Germany and Cyprus.
I also qualified to drive Tanks.
Does that qualify me to be a pleb, no it flaming well doesn’t

Agreed.
makes you a handbag :wink: :wink: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

:open_mouth: Scablifter if you don’t mind :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dratsabasti:
I ignored the thread you refer to, I met many plebs, both in the forces and in civvy street, but I also met some ■■■■ fine people in the forces, including the only serving VC winner, and I can assure you, no one would call him a pleb.

I think thats about right really, I’ve known people join the forces who I wouldn’t put in charge of a wheelbarrow. Some of them remained the same and Some seemed to change, grow-up a bit and did really well. I’ve known some who have left the forces and been completely lost and only way of showing what a great person they are is to get drunk, violent and tell everybody what a great soldier they were and how all us civvies are plebs. :angry:
However all these people also exist is all other walks of life.
I’ve also met normal, solid forces and ex-forces types, they might not have won medals , but they are a good bunch who treat you as they find you. They often tell a good story, (although the story does get added to over the years :laughing: ) there are other ex forces who don’t tell stories, because the memories are to painful. :frowning:

I can’t match meeting a VC winner, but when I was younger a bloke I knew had the AFC, he always came across as a bit of a hippy, but had been a navigator in the 50’s and 60’s. He never told anybody he had it, but other people told me. I used to ask him what he got it for, his reply was for extreme stupidity. :smiley:
But I did find out from a book on Air Sea Rescue that he was the winchman who saved the crew of a fishing boat in extreme weather. This was in the days that helicopters were powered by rubber bands. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Ex REME , 10 years and left in Jan 99 as Cpl.

Did 1 tour of Bosnia, 1 tour of Croatia, 2 tours of Northern Ireland and tours with the British Liasion Office in Canada and USA. I also served in Germany and with the Airborne forces in the ‘shot’.

I made some fantastic friends in the Army and had a way of life that is simply incomparable to life now.

True there are “plebs” in every walk of life, but to tar everybody with the same brush is just plain wrong.

Im ex RCT and loved it (till they kicked me out) im also proud of the time i was there :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

im an ex scalie. they kicked me out 2 weeks before my termination stuff started. at least i managed to do the important bits i.e the cv writing and interview techniques plus the 5 years of agency work that they didnt know about. i landed on my feet when i left :smiling_imp:

2 weeks in atc when i was 14 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rikki’s ex-RCT