Any Regular Lokeren Truck Stop Users?

Hello all I have a strange request for anyone passing Lokeren way please.

My names Brad I’m an Aircraft Engineer in the RAF but I’ve been involved with trucks since day one as my old man was a driver for 27 odd years and used to do loads of continental work in which I used to travel with him.

So it’s his 50th birthday coming up and I want to get him some little souvenirs from the old haunts we used to go to.

And Lokeren used to be one we used a lot so if anyone’s passing there would someone be able to pick me up some PB Tankterminal stickers or any cool souvenir ideas really.

I know to some that seems like an absolutely pants idea of a present but it would actually mean quite a lot to him lol.

But yeah any ideas welcome if you see something cool but it can literally be a sticker or something just with the name of the gaff, there’s hundreds of places we used to visit but that’s a big one that springs to mind and we also used to do a lot about Germany.

And obviously I can sort any helpers out with a bit of cash for their trouble I would really appreciate any input for my seasoned veteran of a father lol.

As I say my names Brad and my number is 07429443895 feel free to get in touch please.

Thanks in advance I hope your all staying safe out there on the roads I miss the old days away with the old man great times and the people you get to meet I hope it’s still something of the same :slight_smile:

Around Germany, Geiselwind was probably one of the regular stops.

I’m never anywhere near Lokeren these days, so can’t help with that.

Send “reccymech” a pm brad. I`ll tell him to look out for it. He might be able to help

Brad.I was an aircraftman with 4624 Movements Squadron.RAF Brize Norton.Did you work or visit Brize.The circumference perimeter of the base is ten miles long.So a big un.?

toby1234abc:
Brad.I was an aircraftman with 4624 Movements Squadron.RAF Brize Norton.Did you work or visit Brize.The circumference perimeter of the base is ten miles long.So a big un.?

Did you run it or cycle it??

Did you have a meal with the sergeant major after he took you for a swim ?

I’ve run it, in standard army running kit, ie boots, denims, combat jacket and webbing with 30lb in its pouches :grimacing:

Aww cheers guys yeah I’ll give that dude a PM I didn’t think I’d get any replies lol.

Yes I’ve spent my whole career near enough at Brize I started off as a mechanic on the tristars on 216 squadron.

Then I finished my techie course and I’ve been back at Brize ever since I’m on 33 engineering squadron I work on the C130j’s now ever since they’ve been here after lyneham closed. And yes I work over on the line the far side of the airfield where 101 squadron used to be back in the day that’s now Herc central so yes I know all about the joys of that perimeter it’s 4 miles to work from the blocks now as you cant cross the active runway anymore so you have to use the perry track lovely ! Lol

And yes Simon Geiselwind was a regular and it’s a shame really because a couple of months ago I had a run down the 3 with my missus as we went for a week down to Kitzbuhel in Austria. I tend to use any holiday time in Europe as an excuse to go for a drive I love it I’ve had enough flying this year I got back from MPA back in the summer aww dear that 17 hour flight :confused:

I wish I’d have twigged to get my dad a few bits for this scrapbook I’m doing for him back then. :frowning:

I remember Eifeltor in Cologne being a regular stop aswell is that dirty old caravan with the Hookers in it still parked at the exit ? always used to make me chuckle.

Cheers JB I’ve PM’d reccyman I hope he can do me a favour.

What’s it still like on the continent now then guys still many Brits running over there ? On my travels I did notice a lot of Eastern European units pulling Dutch/Belgium and German trailers has cheap labour soaked up all the work ?

I flew out to Akrotiri from Brize, on a Vicky 10. My wife and very young daughter flew out a few weeks later, also on a Vicky 10. On our return to UK a couple of years later, Tristars were just coming on stream. I think we had BA Aircrew and RAF stewards, there were still BA kids entertainment packs on board.

The caravan at Eifeltor has been moved and upgraded, but it’s still there and busy enough.

There are still Brits running out to Europe. Nowhere near the numbers there used to be, cheap labour has soaked up a lot of the work but not all.

The seats face the other way on Vc10’s.
Was the fastest aircraft and huge fines were paid due to the noise.At visiting airports.
The air crew would go to exotic places.
It is odd how a breakdown occurs and parts have to be dispatched in these places but in a horrid place the plane seemed to work fine.
Two weeks off swimming with turtles in the Ascension Islands or Kabul, take your pick.
The Tristars were ex Pan Am and Twa and BA.
All getting very old now.They hire commercial aircraft like Boeing 747.

toby1234abc:
The seats face the other way on Vc10’s.

Only on RAF VC 10s, on the civvy models they face forwards.

Yeah that’s right I was down on 1312FLT detached in the Falklands over the summer it was joint VC10 and C130J so I got to have a final play on it but they’ve just put the VC10 out of service a couple of months back great shame solid old beast I actually miss getting woken up by the old Conways in the morning at Brize lol.

Yeah the Tristars are ok I enjoyed my time on them but they were in a worse state than the VC10 when I left as they weren’t built like a brick ■■■■ house like the VC10 was, but it’s still going on strong it’s just spares for them are near enough non existent now they are coming out of service in March next year. :frowning:

But the Hercs are good I’ve been all over the World on them can’t complain at all. Aww yes and going U/S down route is still an essential pastime haha

Aww brilliant the good old caravan lol.

Yeah I thought that would be the case, I hope it picks up a bit on the continent I’d seriously like to do a bit of driving in the future over there if I ever leave the RAF.
I’m a little out of touch on the trucking current affairs but I’m glad their finally introducing this European haulier road tax levy in the UK, I mean how long have we been paying European Road tax for I remember the old man buying it every time we went out of Dover back in the day :confused: bout time !