Pulled Off Bay, Out Of Duty Time?

Arrived on time (6pm) for rdc drop, duty time runs out at 7.45pm…

Gave them plenty warning about it, they said fine.

At 7.15, asked if they’ve started tipping, they said no.

I said ok, im pulling off as I won’t have enough time for you to tip me and then get parked (company doesnt like you parking on roads / laybys).

Returned this morning for 6am as they asked and rdc is going nuts at me about last night…

Did I do right…

Serious answers first, then you can say what you like…

Simply yes. You gave them fair warning.

simcor:
Simply yes. You gave them fair warning.

I’d agree

That’s exactly…

What I would have done.

They had fair warning and chose to ignore it.

If you’re delivering baked beans or the like what’s their problem anyway? Not like it’s gonna go off is it.

Yes you did , your name on your licence not company’s or Rdc

Spot on

You did the right thing, but looking at it from the other side how many drivers tell them the same thinking that they’ll get unloaded faster so who do they believe.

mac12:
You did the right thing, but looking at it from the other side how many drivers tell them the same thinking that they’ll get unloaded faster so who do they believe.

If that was the…

Morning argument, show them a print out.

But I do agree, some drivers will try it on that way.

I agree you did the right thing but why give you a drop with a booking time so close to the end of your duty time.

Especially if they insist on good parking.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Could that have been Asda at Lutterworth ?
Heard a few drivers have been shafted there, if you need to pull away because your time is running out due to them dragging their heels on not tipping you even if you’re there on time, they raise a failed tip against the haulage company.

You did the right thing, your licence not theirs

You did the right thing, only 2 other options:

1. Drop your trailer and leave it there until the next morning. (With a lock so they cannot move it!)

2. Call a policeman to cone off the area around your truck and warn the RDC that you cannot be moved and they have to provide you with a meal, shower, toilet etc. :unamused: :laughing:

I agree with Martin, unless you were in a rigid next time tell them you have to drop the trailer no ifs, no buts. They then get their goods and a shunter can move the trailer afterwards. If there would be goods still on board tell them to fit a seal and leave the fridge running. If they can’t cope with that then they shouldn’t be in business. I think I might rescue the number plate first to forestall any malicious shunters.

I assume you kept your company informed about what was happening? And they backed you up that you had to pull out? Or did you just do it without telling them?

Either way yeah it’s your licence so you do right.

All I’m getting at is did you keep them informed so they could have contacted a supervisor where you were tipping for arrangements to be made, or did you just go without letting anyone apart from the goods in clerk? And is that why they making a fuss?

Their argument against…

Dropping your trailer on a bay and pin locked will be a Health and Stupidty issue, ‘it’s a fire hazard’.

The other problem you will have with pulling out half tipped etc is the key retention. They will no doubt have your keys and most drivers lock their cabs whilst on the bay for obvious reasons.

It’s only happened to me once. I pulled the curtains round and had (in those days you kept your keys) 9 off on their bay. They made sure the shunters dropped and swapped trailers right in front of me all night.

again bad planning by the office.

They expect you to do a 1800 tip at an rdc and your time is up at 1945. Was never goi g to happen. Most rdc are 2hours.

Would rather a driver give us plenty of warning than do what one bright spark tried to do last night…

Told our goods in he was short on time and had to be tipped by 2100…finished him at 2030…only for him to refuse to move off the bay because his time was up!

After much discussion, and ranting from him down the phone at the Police because they told him not to phone 999 for such matters, during which we offered for him to drop his trailer, park outside our depot, have his time off and come and collect in the morning…or he could take his card out, either myself or our shunter would put our cards in and drive his truck outside, park it up for him…
In the end he left site probably 15 minutes after his day was up…had he just left site when he was tipped, he would have had 30 mins to find parking, in an area where there is normally a fair bit of parking…and a council truck park 15 mins away!

DonutUK:
Would rather a driver give us plenty of warning than do what one bright spark tried to do last night…

Told our goods in he was short on time and had to be tipped by 2100…finished him at 2030…only for him to refuse to move off the bay because his time was up!

After much discussion, and ranting from him down the phone at the Police because they told him not to phone 999 for such matters, during which we offered for him to drop his trailer, park outside our depot, have his time off and come and collect in the morning…or he could take his card out, either myself or our shunter would put our cards in and drive his truck outside, park it up for him…
In the end he left site probably 15 minutes after his day was up…had he just left site when he was tipped, he would have had 30 mins to find parking, in an area where there is normally a fair bit of parking…and a council truck park 15 mins away!

It would be little surprise if, based on that carry-on, the next driver who comes in with a claim of being short on time gets short shrift, being told either to go away and come back tomorrow, or that tipping will take as long as it takes and the rest is his problem. What’s the saying about drivers and worst enemies again?

Where I last worked there was one tipping point for a side offload with a simple 30-yard straight reverse on flat tarmac into it from the waiting point. It was not unusual for drivers to arrive with the normal claim of needing to be away by X o’clock. Then, when it was their turn, the forkie was regularly left twiddling his thumbs for 10 minutes while the driver undid the curtain buckles and unstrapped the load, both of which could have been done while they were waiting to reverse on.

Sadly there is no limit to the rabid tide of stupidity that infests the haulage industry, and from what I read on here it gets worse all the time. That said, it’s not just drivers, because a planner sending a driver into an RDC with less than two hours left on his card is asking for trouble.

100% right

This is what you guys and this forum does best…not only gives advice to newbees like my self but also gives us the confidence to stand by our actions …

Keep up the awesome work :smiley:

The law is your first master, your boss is the second. As long as you kept him/her informed, it’s not your problem. As others have said, why plan an RDC visit with less than two hours of work left?