Pulled Off Bay, Out Of Duty Time?

If all drivers got paid overtime for being kept waiting at RDCs - then suddenly we’d all be tipped within the hour every time… :bulb:

It’s only because no one gives a ■■■■ about the poor driver booking POA instead of Overtime - that this level of ■■■■-taking culture happens in my mind.

It wouldn’t be so bad if it were not for the fact that not only do you not get Overtime - but you are at many RDCs banned from your cab (thus forcing you into the “cooler” waiting room) meaning that you can’t even get your head down if they give you the old “Take a seat bud, it’ll be about 3-4 hours”.

At the end of such a long tip process, the driver will often need to take a proper break if they were prevented from doing so at the RDC, and it they are now in hours 12-15 of their shift - are going to be knackered to boot, regardless of what time of the day or night it is. :frowning: All you get from the RDC is shiny new signs being put up outside “Do NOT park in this service road at any time”

El Deano:
I agree you did the right thing but why give you a drop with a booking time so close to the end of your duty time.

Depends where you’re delivering. I’ve spent 5hrs in Tesco Crick RDC in the past.

Theres usually a know it all at RDCs or power craved idiot who is always the one who’ll be the one to cause grief for the most legitimate problem.

Wasn’t Amazon was it by any chance?

If a driver tells us he is short of time we will do our best to help them out, but it isn’t always easy when they arrive 4 or 5 hrs early for a booking, then moan about being short on time. We don’t always have the capacity to tip that far ahead of plan, if we can then we will, but it takes approx 2 hrs once a load is tipped for it to be QC checked and actually put away off the floor, which means that that bay is ■■■■■■■ until the floor behind is free again.

Where we can we will always offer them the choice of dropping their trailer, leaving site and returning once they have had their required rest to collect. If they can’t or won’t take that option, they are politely informed that they can leave site and rebook the delivery for another day.

yourhavingalarf:

mac12:
You did the right thing, but looking at it from the other side how many drivers tell them the same thinking that they’ll get unloaded faster so who do they believe.

If that was the…

Morning argument, show them a print out.

But I do agree, some drivers will try it on that way.

■■■■ them, there’s no way I would show them a print out, I wouldn’t feel the need to prove it to them, they either take my word for it or I’d do same as o/p.
As for other drivers ‘‘trying it on’’…well they should tip you in a reasonable time scale then drivers wouldn’t have to try it on as you put it.
It should not be just accepted as the norm that you are going to be ■■■■ ed about at rdc.s on a whim by these tossers. …especially as we have to stick to drivers hours rules by law. :bulb:
You did exactly right mate.

Captain Caveman 76:
The law is your first master, your boss is the second. As long as you kept him/her informed, it’s not your problem. As others have said, why plan an RDC visit with less than two hours of work left?

This covers it nicely!

Another golden rule to learn is “The driver will never win so whatever you do cover your own arse first.”

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

It’s sainsburys rdc, East Kilbride. Been back tonight too…

Discovered it depends on who’s running the show and how quick they get you tipped… As it only took an hour tonight to get tipped…

DonutUK:
If a driver tells us he is short of time we will do our best to help them out, but it isn’t always easy when they arrive 4 or 5 hrs early for a booking, then moan about being short on time. We don’t always have the capacity to tip that far ahead of plan, if we can then we will, but it takes approx 2 hrs once a load is tipped for it to be QC checked and actually put away off the floor, which means that that bay is ■■■■■■■ until the floor behind is free again.

Where we can we will always offer them the choice of dropping their trailer, leaving site and returning once they have had their required rest to collect. If they can’t or won’t take that option, they are politely informed that they can leave site and rebook the delivery for another day.

That’s your problem the driver has done his job if you have not got space then don’t have it delivered till you have space also with technology today 2 hours is off the wall
My method is you ordered it and when I arrive if I am not gone in 2 hours max i am out of there and I live by that and it works every time job or no job and trust me the company likes a driver who knows what he says and what he means

nightline:

DonutUK:

That’s your problem the driver has done his job if you have not got space then don’t have it delivered till you have space also with technology today 2 hours is off the wall
My method is you ordered it and when I arrive if I am not gone in 2 hours max i am out of there and I live by that and it works every time job or no job and trust me the company likes a driver who knows what he says and what he means

If you arrive 4 or 5 hours before you are booked…why do you expect to be tipped within 2 hours? Also, if you bring a 40’ container, full of cartons that have to be handballed off…how long do you think that takes?

The nature of the product means that it takes time to QC it as it has to be checked against the “gold standard” before it can be put into stock…which is why we have booking times…so that the bays are managed to ensure that those who turn up on time get on a bay and get tipped.

robroy:

yourhavingalarf:

mac12:
You did the right thing, but looking at it from the other side how many drivers tell them the same thinking that they’ll get unloaded faster so who do they believe.

If that was the…

Morning argument, show them a print out.

But I do agree, some drivers will try it on that way.

[zb] them, there’s no way I would show them a print out, I wouldn’t feel the need to prove it to them, they either take my word for it or I’d do same as o/p.
As for other drivers ‘‘trying it on’’…well they should tip you in a reasonable time scale then drivers wouldn’t have to try it on as you put it.
It should not be just accepted as the norm that you are going to be [zb] ed about at rdc.s on a whim by these tossers. …especially as we have to stick to drivers hours rules by law. :bulb:
You did exactly right mate.

Yep, if you’re given a booking time you should be tipped on time, not expected to be sitting around with an expensive vehicle that’s getting more expensive by the minute when the wheels ain’t turning.

DonutUK:

nightline:

DonutUK:

TK max store warehouse all the time unload trailer up to 4 hours .They scan every box.And this is by contract.Tk max not broken any rulles.
If you arrive 4 or 5 hours before you are booked…why do you expect to be tipped within 2 hours? Also, if you bring a 40’ container, full of cartons that have to be handballed off…how long do you think that takes?

The nature of the product means that it takes time to QC it as it has to be checked against the “gold standard” before it can be put into stock…which is why we have booking times…so that the bays are managed to ensure that those who turn up on time get on a bay and get tipped.

Problem is most RDC’s think they are a law unto themselves, a container is usually from overseas and therefore sealed at point of loading, the seal is recorded on relevant paperwork and recorded with the shipping companies, unless the seal is broken there is no requirement for a driver to wait for a 100% check as descrepsncies are between the CONSIGNOR and CONSIGNEE and nothing to do with a haulier, this can also be said for European deliveries whose trailers are sealed at point of loading ( apart from the ferries taking note of seal numbers ) .
Another problem is lack of communication, if an RDC has a strict minimum time from arrival to departure it should be pointed out when planners are booking trailers in for delivery and then drivers are not being shafted.
But both haulier and RDC have an obligation to uphold the law regarding drivers hours, no driver should be put in a position which could leave them breaking the law.

Grumpy Dad:
Problem is most RDC’s think they are a law unto themselves, a container is usually from overseas and therefore sealed at point of loading, the seal is recorded on relevant paperwork and recorded with the shipping companies, unless the seal is broken there is no requirement for a driver to wait for a 100% check as descrepsncies are between the CONSIGNOR and CONSIGNEE and nothing to do with a haulier, this can also be said for European deliveries whose trailers are sealed at point of loading ( apart from the ferries taking note of seal numbers ) .
Another problem is lack of communication, if an RDC has a strict minimum time from arrival to departure it should be pointed out when planners are booking trailers in for delivery and then drivers are not being shafted.
But both haulier and RDC have an obligation to uphold the law regarding drivers hours, no driver should be put in a position which could leave them breaking the law.

No experience of this but common sense says that what you’ve posted is quite right.

peterm:

Grumpy Dad:

No experience of this but common sense says that what you’ve posted is quite right.

Was a reply to the post above mine, thought I’d quoted it but haven’t lol

Just to echo what others have said - keep your traffic office informed if you’re running out of time - and notify goods in as soon as you get there.

Nothing else needs to be done - except be aware of the area you’re in and keep in mind how long it’s gonna take you to get parked up once you leave, that also needs to be taken into account within your hours left…

You gave them a warning so you were in the right. Many years ago at Argos Bridgewater I had been on the bay for 6 hours and when I got to 30 minutes before my time ran out I told them, they ignored me, trying to get overtime I suspect. I was released 20 minutes after my time was up and refused to move, Argos called the police who backed me up and told them I was allowed to stay there for10 hours, Argos did not like it but had no choice, I walked outside the site for food etc and when I returned security wouldn’t let me in, this time I called the police and they were made to let me get to my truck. My next delivery to them I saw signs telling all drivers short on time to inform the office when duty time would run out and avoid being stuck on site :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
You gave them a warning so you were in the right. Many years ago at Argos Bridgewater I had been on the bay for 6 hours and when I got to 30 minutes before my time ran out I told them, they ignored me, trying to get overtime I suspect. I was released 20 minutes after my time was up and refused to move, Argos called the police who backed me up and told them I was allowed to stay there for10 hours, Argos did not like it but had no choice, I walked outside the site for food etc and when I returned security wouldn’t let me in, this time I called the police and they were made to let me get to my truck. My next delivery to them I saw signs telling all drivers short on time to inform the office when duty time would run out and avoid being stuck on site :smiley:

I guess in years gone by most traffic planners would have told the driver to ‘pull his card’ and park up outside when tipped. Not really viable now so the RDCs etc have to get their act together. On most drops I’d say if you have 2 n a half left on your day AFTER your booked in time that’s fair enough. Gives them 2 hours to tip and check and you 30 minutes to park up.

No law in keeping your card in. All depends on when/where youre backloading from. If there was no rush i’d just come back in the morning but…being late for loading next day i’d have pulled the card and wait for them to tip it… all just circumstances depending…

I’ve had this a couple of times and usually they get told at 1 hr then at 15 min intervals at 15 mins they get told the situation and get told keys now and I can’t leave site no time left usually they play ball at 30 mins and usually drop the trailer and park on site or outside.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk