Public want compulsory eye tests for truck drivers

Three-quarters of the public would support compulsory eyesight tests for truck and car drivers, according to research by road safety charity Brake, the Eye Health Alliance and optician chain Specsavers.

Do any of these companies actually do any research before publically making statements?

I thought LGV drivers had a medical before they got a provisional and then had ongoing 5 year medicals after the age of 45 … perhaps I am mistaken!!

Asblouty rihtg Rog. Threre nufin wong wiht my eysitgh
imagesCAK99HOK.jpg

MrHappy:
Asblouty rihtg Rog. Threre nufin wong wiht my eysitgh0

Tahst corerect rm hpapy!

ROG:

Three-quarters of the public would support compulsory eyesight tests for truck and car drivers, according to research by road safety charity Brake, the Eye Health Alliance and optician chain Specsavers.

Hmmmm, not even a little bit self-serving in any way at all then :wink:

I wouldn’t trust anything coming from a commercial opticians like Specsavers to name one example. After all, it is in their interest to sell you glasses and contact lenses.

Specsavers were adamant that I needed to wear glasses in my early teenage years, so I found myself wearing glasses for a few years. Then on one day while on a family holiday in France I decided to stop bothering as they were causing me more hassle and were bloody uncomfortable in the hot and humid weather.

Surprise surprise when I had my eye test in a medical for the military a few years back after having not worn specs for a couple of years, my eyesight came out as excellent. Then in my driver’s medical, it was found my eyesight is 6/5 with both eyes (that’s 20/16 for the oldies :wink: ). Far from needing glasses I think Mr.Specsavers! :unamused:

I think more car drivers need to go to specsavers than wagon drivers.

How many wagon drivers have an accident or incident that’s down to bad eye sight?

Then how often does a car pull out infront of a bike, bus, truck and the 1st thing they always say is… together now… “I didn’t see you”. It’s a ■■■■■■■ truck, 50’ long, 8’ wide and the cab’s about 13’ ■■■■■■■ high, if you didn’t see this WITH IT’S HEADLIGHS ON, should you really be behind the ■■■■■■■ wheel of that ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ car.

rant over

If you hold a driving licence of any category then you should have a compulsory eye test every two years.It could so easily be linked to DVLA and be something else the poor overworked plod could do you for.

ROG:

Do any of these companies actually do any research before publically making statements?

I thought LGV drivers had a medical before they got a provisional and then had ongoing 5 year medicals after the age of 45 … perhaps I am mistaken!!

On your command Rog. I sent this to Brake.

For the eyes of Julie Townsend

I am quite concerned about several articles I have read about compulsory eye testing for lorry drivers. You really should be aware of the simplest rules and regulations before commenting or publishing scaremongering press releases. The general public would always vote for compulsory testing fro commercial drivers.

However as you obviously do not understand, every driver who applies for a provisional licence to drive either Category C or C+E, D & D+E must have a medical examination and an eight page form completed. Part one of this 6 part section deals with commercial drivers vision. It is not simply the requirement to read a number plate whilst stood behind a car which in many cases can be memorised.

Other parts of this examination look at The Nervous System, Diabetes Mellitus, Psychiatric Illness, Cardiac or Coronary Artery Disease and any underlying causes. Blood Pressure is tested as well as a general picture of the applicants health, all of which can point to eyesight deficiency.

Unlike the car driver who reads a number plate when he/she is 17 and doesn’t get their eyes tested for another 53 years. In addition to this initial medical examination, it has to be repeated every 5 years from the age of 45 at the drivers cost.

With Respect.
Wheel Nut
Independent Moaner

The only thing I would say about your letter Malc is that a lad can get his vocational licence at 18 and not need his mincers tested again until 45. It’s a bit of a gap! Eye tests can also reveal underlying medical conditions so can be worthwhile for that too. Anyone holding any kind of driving licence should be tested regularly from the time they apply for a provisional. Include cyclists in that as well!

P.S. How long does it take to train as an optician?

Don’t take it too personally as another grief against truckers. It did say car drivers as well. And having decent eyesight is a reasonable prerequisite.

On a related note, guess who I bumped in to in my local spec savers last week!?

The door?

44 Tonne Ton:
The door?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: quality!!

44 Tonne Ton:
The only thing I would say about your letter Malc is that a lad can get his vocational licence at 18 and not need his mincers tested again until 45. It’s a bit of a gap! Eye tests can also reveal underlying medical conditions so can be worthwhile for that too. Anyone holding any kind of driving licence should be tested regularly from the time they apply for a provisional. Include cyclists in that as well!

P.S. How long does it take to train as an optician?

Yes, in hindsight I spotted that, and the silly spelling mistakes I made. I was incandescent with rage.
Mr Angry, from Purley

If it comes about, than it should be free eye tests for commercial drivers, like computer operators get. It doesn’t bother me. I wear glasses anyway, and get my eyes checked regularly.

So i walked into the greengrocers the other day and said " is this the opticians" :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My eyesights fine
I can see the sun and that is 93,000,000 miles away :sunglasses:

brados:
If you hold a driving licence of any category then you should have a compulsory eye test every two years.It could so easily be linked to DVLA and be something else the poor overworked plod could do you for.

This^. 100%

If eye tests were compulsory for all drivers every 2 or 3 years we might get rid of some of the old ■■■■■■■ who clog the roads up doing 30 in a 60, squinting out the windscreen with their noses virtually pressed against it.

hammer:
If eye tests were compulsory for all drivers every 2 or 3 years we might get rid of some of the old [zb] who clog the roads up doing 30 in a 60, squinting out the windscreen with their noses virtually pressed against it.

Should they really be compulsory though, isn’t it enough to have regular checks, people are not forced to go to the dentist but they still go. I have been going and having regular eye tests since I was about 9 years old.

I agree to drivers being tested but am afraid they will pick on the lorry driver who already has 5 yearly medicals, licence renewals, digi card and now DCPC to pay for

would it still be optinal to use your eyes though ?

like all these surveys you can get the answer you want by the way you work the question.

Question: Do you think drivers should have compulsory eye tests?
Of course most will answer yes.

Question: Do you think you should pay £20 for a Compulsory eye test every 2 years to keep your Licence?
I bet there would be a far smaller willing to say yes.

Personally I think it would be no bad thing for all drivers to have proper eye tests before they take a test and then regular eye test after the age of 40.