Eye tests (applies to all HGV Drivers)

Our company has jhumped on the bandwagon partly as a response to This

We now have to have our eyes tested every 2 years at our expense :imp: :imp: :imp: .

I wonder why specsavers are keen to see this legislation to fruition.

According to your link it’s in this -
eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 060:EN:PDF

It’s a PROPOSAL - look at this

(g) Category CE:
– without prejudice to the provisions of type-approval
rules for the vehicles concerned, combinations of vehicles
where the tractor vehicle is in category C and its
trailer or semi-trailer has a maximum authorised mass
of over 750 kg,
– the minimum age for categories C and CE is fixed at 21
years, without prejudice to the provisions for the driving
of such vehicles in Directive 2003/59/EC;

And that is now ‘out the window’

I thinks the new H&S director is kissing â– â– â–  at group HQ at our expense :imp: .

As an agency driver i have always done that anyway every 2 years. They can tell a lot more than if you can see that artic 2 feet in front of you. But i can see your point, if they want it done shouldnt they pay for it.

What they should tell the EU is the fact that a hgv driver has to undergo a strict medical including a strict eyesight test in order to maintain his licence. When a driver reaches the age of 65, his licence is issued on a yearly basis, and a medical and eye sight test ensue.

What specsavers dont do , is inform the EU that eye sight deterioration is very much enhanced when the sun is glaring through the windscreen, and a driver has no protection for his eyes except to hold up one hand to protect his eyes, and steer with the other, the same can be said for side vision…obviously this only affects most vehicles on our roads with the exception of the good old DAF 95 and the MAN and Magnum which have blinds, but most of the idiots as per usual in the EU parliament have never been inside a truck, and thinks they give the same protection as a car, bit like most planners and transport managers really.