Eyesight test without glasses?

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:59 pm Post subject: Eyesight test without glasses?

Thanks everyone for all the replies but I have just been for my regular eye test (I’ve worn specs since year dot) and mentioned thinking of doing LGV test. Turns out the optician thinks it unlikely that I would meet the minimum sight requirements; evidentally there is a minimum sight level needed WITHOUT glasses! Seems a bit strange as my sight is perfectly fine with glasses. But if thems the rules I will just have to rethink my career. Have any glasses wearers come across this?

NO - but I will phone DVLA medical tomorrow to ask about it.

Thanks; look forward to their response. The Optician sounded like she knew what she was talking about but lets hope she doesn’t!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_19960119/ai_n9638253

the article is dated 1996 though, so not sure of current legislation

This may help

The requirements are first and foremost a measure by the Member States’ governments to ensure road safety. With this in mind they agreed to amend the original directive (80/1263/EEC) in 1991, and to set the minimum standards of fitness for driving large goods vehicles and passenger carrying vehicles, as well as establishing mutual recognition of driving licences within the European Union. The second directive on driving licences (91/439/EEC) came into force on 1 July 1996.

Existing licence holders will have to undergo a medical check only when their driving licence is up for renewal. Drivers must re-apply at the age of 45, and then at 5 yearly intervals until the age of 65 and thereafter every year.

It is true that with the earlier directive the few one-eyed HGV drivers (less than 20 in the UK) can no longer drive large vehicles. The other small group of drivers affected is one possessing so-called ‘grandfather rights’. The directive does allow Member States to maintain these rights, but it is generally felt that those drivers whose eyesight fall well below the new standards in either eye, ie they cannot see at least the first line/letter of an optician’s eye chart from 3 metres without glasses or contact lenses, should no longer be driving. This was the view taken by the UK Government in implementing the directive.

To illustrate that this is a fairly low requirement, a person with perfect vision is able to read that line or letter at a distance of 60 metres.

The actual requirements are as follows:

Concerning Group 2 drivers, Annexe III Point 6.3 of the new directive stipulates that: applicants for a driving licence or for the renewal of such a licence must have a visual acuity, with corrective lenses if necessary, of at least 0.8 in the better eye and 0.5 in the worse eye (this corresponds to 6/9 and 6/12 on the Snellen scale). If corrective lenses are used to attain the values of 0.8 and 0.5, the uncorrected vision in each eye must reach 0.05 (ie 3/60 on the Snellen scale). In addition, drivers must have normal binocular field of vision in both eyes and must not suffer from double vision.

The value of 0.05 for the uncorrected sight in each eye was fixed by agreement of the competent national medical authorities of all Member States, to ensure that a driver can handle the vehicle and take preventive measures at all times. Although the standards set are stricter in asking that the minimal acuity in the best eye is raised from 0.75 to 0.8, it is now allows the uncorrected vision to be lowered from 0.1 to 0.05, and so many more drivers will be able to pass the eye test who would otherwise have failed it.

The 1996 Directive requires all drivers to meet the minimum standards and does not provide for transitional periods or derogations from these standards. However, member states may fix stricter standards if they wish.

Eyesight key points as published in The Official DSA Guide to Driving HGV’s(2007)

An applicant for HGV must have a visual acuity of at least
6/9 in the better eye
6/12 in the other eye
when wearing contacts or glasses if needed. There must be normal vision in both eyes (defined as a 120 degree field) and no evidence of diplopia.

Satisfactory uncorrected visual acuity is also required.
this should be at least 3/60 in each eye. This visual field requirement is the normal binocular field of vision.

Doctor will use standard Snellen test card.

If you have eyesight in one eye this must be declared on D4

Pre 1997 HGV/PCV drivers whose eyesight doesn’t meet new standard should contact DVLA

If you need glasses/contacts, don’t forget to wear em when driving

There is an uncorrected requirement, but (at the risk of putting my foot in it) you need to have pretty bad eyesight to fail, our lass would pass on the acuity (un/corrected) but she can never drive because of nystagmus.

"but it is generally felt that those drivers whose eyesight fall well below the new standards in either eye, ie they cannot see at least the first line/letter of an optician’s eye chart from 3 metres without glasses or contact lenses, should no longer be driving. This was the view taken by the UK Government in implementing the directive. "
Thanks tachograph & taximan. The above quote is what the optician mentioned; the 3 metre rule. She held up a letter O. I could see it was a circle but it could have been a target or something. If I had known about this rule I probably could have bluffed it. Seems pretty stupid; how often do your gasses fall off when driving? I can’t think of any in nearly 40 years of driving! A car could do some damage at 80mph if their glasses fell off. Using the car as an office which you see all the time on the roads is far more dangerous. It is probably one of those rules which no one obeys apart from the Brits!

Thanks madbaz. Looking more like optician is right and I will just have to belt about in a non LGV without my glasses on just to spite everybody!!

An applicant for HGV must have a visual acuity of at least
6/9 in the better eye
6/12 in the other eye
when wearing contacts or glasses if needed.

As long as you can pass they required eyesight test when weasring your glasses it shold not be a problem.

I know more than one driver who is as blind as a bast if they take off their glasses but with the corect prescription glasses they are as capable of driving as anybody else.
It is nonsensical to suggest that you take the test without wearing your glasses. You would not drive without them so why take the test without them?
Take the eyesight test wearing your glasses and see how it goes.

I totally agree mothertrucker but this 3 metre rule seems to be a fact. I am as blind as a bat without specs and see perfectly Ok with. Crazy but if it’s an EU reg. probably true

ROG:
NO - but I will phone DVLA medical tomorrow to ask about it.

MADBAZs quote is correct and DVLA said to me on the phone that you should consult with a GP first before going through the rest of the medical if you think you have an eyesight problem.
DVLA also said that you would not necesarily be refused a vocational licence as each is taken ‘on it’s own merits’ - so it is now up to you as to whether it is worth taking the risk of trying it.

Thanks Rog, I shall think on it. Happy Easter everyone

you can download the DVLA medical rules

dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/medical/aagv1.pdf

I’m looking into it at the moment as SWMBO is thinking of doing class C but has problems seeing the eye chart without her contact lenses :wink:

Denis F:
I’m looking into it at the moment as SWMBO is thinking of doing class C but has problems seeing the eye chart without her contact lenses :wink:

Bet she can still spot a sale bargain at 2 miles though :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Ta Dennis. The problem is without glasses/contacts to be able to see a shape at 3 metres. I’m sure if you know it’s coming and what to expect it could be passed; I didn’t realise that was the test when she held up a card( the card was about A5 size with the letter fitting within that so slightly smaller) and moved to other side of room and said “what’s this shape?” Trying to be helpful I said it looked like a bullseye or target when it was a letter O. Well pretty close I reckon! She didn’t say that was a definite fail but thought it was as good as.

ROG:
[

Bet she can still spot a sale bargain at 2 miles though :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

She’s not into shopping Rog !!!

Denis F:

ROG:
[

She’s not into shopping Rog !!!

YEH - RIGHT :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

as long as you can read the top line without your glasses at three metres you will pass it.

without my glasses on couldn’t hit an elephants arse with a banjo. with them on i have perfect vision. i use contacts for driving with a spare set in my bag just in case, that way there is no chance of hem falling off or being broken

its worth a glance at the chart with your glasses on before you take them off :wink: :wink: