eye test

went for eye test today whilst chating to optician he told me that spec savers
could be the main company for dvla field tests in the nr future wasn’t to impressed

I smell brown envelopes…

tippertom:
could be the main company for dvla field tests in the nr future wasn’t to impressed

why not impressed :question: I went to doctors on wheels for my medical. failed miserably on eyesight test
decided to get a second opinion before sending form off
went to specsavers and they found different results to docs on wheels
licence granted

Nothing wrong with Specsavers, I use them every year for my routine eyetest and recently used them for my Lgv medical eyesight test. (passed without the need for glasses)

lucky you

Had a free eye test with them last year and got a couple of pairs of reading specs. No probs with em to be fair. It is a bit conveyor belt but cant knock the price for what you get.

Defo a hint of “envelope syndrome” if it comes to pass tho`… normal business protocol really.

What’s the problem with Specsavers (or indeed any other large chain of opticians) getting the job? If nothing else, it should help to ensure some consistency (while hopefully keeping the costs down).

Or is this the old British thing where anyone (or any organisation) actually making a success of something is to be sneered at?

Roymondo:
What’s the problem with Specsavers (or indeed any other large chain of opticians) getting the job? If nothing else, it should help to ensure some consistency (while hopefully keeping the costs down).

Or is this the old British thing where anyone (or any organisation) actually making a success of something is to be sneered at?

:laughing:

alphonsohall:
Nothing wrong with Specsavers, I use them every year for my routine eyetest and recently used them for my Lgv medical eyesight test. (passed without the need for glasses)

+1 I’d used a complete bellend of an optician for a few years who’d said “you won’t pass the lgv medical”. Started to use Specsavers who told me there was sod all wrong with my eyesight, which was later verified by a DVLA approved optician! Specsavers all the way for me

Superb service from Specsavers saved me a lot of hassle, right on the ball as far as DVLA requirements are concerned and don’t forget to ENSURE your BLOOD PRESSURE is OK
before you visit Quack.

tippertom:

Its the way of the world now mate. Back handers , done deals, etc… I went for an eye test last week, i’ve got to have them medicals every five years now, load of ■■■■■■■■.
I went in and hadn’t even sat down and he said i needed glasses. Total friggin swizz.
How can you tell i need glasses without testing me i said? He said we’re the Butchers, the opticians are next door. Make you laugh they do !!

I been using an excellent independent opticians for 3 yearly eye tests for the past 22 years. 5 years ago I finally needed glasses, their prices for the glasses were comparable with specsavers, but the quality of service is far better than specsavers.

6 years ago my mum went to specsavers, she got tested and sold a pair of glasses with a new prescription and told to come back for a test in 2 years time.

Within 2 weeks she couldn’t focus with the new glasses so I took her down to my opticians. They tested her and immediately told her to get an appointment through her doctor at the hospital as she had developing cataracts.
I asked the optician how long they would have been noticeable in an eye examination and was told “at least a couple of months, maybe more”.

The eye examination at specsavers would definitely have shown the cataracts but all they were interested in was selling more glasses.
If I hadn’t taken her to my opticians the cataracts would have developed to a point where they were beyond curing.

I will never walk into one a specsavers of my own free will under any circumstances, they are in it purely for the profit and don’t give a ■■■■ about your eye health.

Tgtrucker:
I been using an excellent independent opticians for 3 yearly eye tests for the past 22 years. 5 years ago I finally needed glasses, their prices for the glasses were comparable with specsavers, but the quality of service is far better than specsavers.

6 years ago my mum went to specsavers, she got tested and sold a pair of glasses with a new prescription and told to come back for a test in 2 years time.

Within 2 weeks she couldn’t focus with the new glasses so I took her down to my opticians. They tested her and immediately told her to get an appointment through her doctor at the hospital as she had developing cataracts.
I asked the optician how long they would have been noticeable in an eye examination and was told “at least a couple of months, maybe more”.

The eye examination at specsavers would definitely have shown the cataracts but all they were interested in was selling more glasses.
If I hadn’t taken her to my opticians the cataracts would have developed to a point where they were beyond curing.

I will never walk into one a specsavers of my own free will under any circumstances, they are in it purely for the profit and don’t give a [zb] about your eye health.

Specsavers are the pits, I would never ever use them again. I have worn glasses since the age of 4, and never had a problem until I went to this shower of ■■■■. I could see better without the glasses they gave me. they changed them ( without any apologies ) for a pair no better :open_mouth: I I gave up and went to a proper opticians and got a decent pair.
If this cowboy outfit are going to be the chosen opticians for your HGV eye test. god help us 44 ton coming at you driven by a person with impaired vision.

wont have nothing said about specsaver, they saved my licence. had some periphial eyesight problems and was ordered by the dvla stapo and the local specsavers was there authorised fields visual test centre.

the woman there not only gave me 3 seperate goes on it but helped me in deciding to look slightly more to the left than the right !!

got me 5 years for that.

GBD:
wont have nothing said about specsaver, they saved my licence. had some peripheral eyesight problems and was ordered by the dvla stapo and the local specsavers was there authorised fields visual test centre.

the woman there not only gave me 3 seperate goes on it but helped me in deciding to look slightly more to the left than the right !!

got me 5 years for that.

What she did in real life was fiddle your test so that you passed… not good :frowning: your peripheral vision, is taken with you looking straight ahead, so you still have problems with your peripheral vision :open_mouth: you better hope nobody from the DVLA looks at T/N.

specsavers
buy one pair
get one free
you cant complain at that

villa:
specsavers
buy one pair
get one free
you cant complain at that

You can when there no good, and make your vision worse. :laughing: :laughing:

carnt bet independent optician the one I went to gave great service new all the dvla regs
grandfarther rights etc brill

GBD wrote:wont have nothing said about specsaver, they saved my licence. had some peripheral eyesight problems and was ordered by the dvla stapo and the local specsavers was there authorised fields visual test centre.

got me 5 years for that.

What she did in real life was fiddle your test so that you passed… not good your peripheral vision, is taken with you looking straight ahead, so you still have problems with your peripheral vision you better hope nobody from the DVLA looks at T/N.

jesus wept only on this site can you get someone with a response like that. :unamused: i,m gonna have to be extra careful now to keep my identity secret just in case the nasty dvla catch me based on my comments on here. strange i had it done 2 and a half years ago and have managed to drive to and around places i,m sure you would only have nightmares about.

I think the Easterman and Goldmanns field tests done to check your vision field are draconian measures anyway. Since the test requires you to stare stright ahead for 5-10mins, surely a better test would be done in some sort of driving simulator where different situations happen and they check on your reactions and how quick you view something like cyclists coming up the inside or even outside of you. Staring at a little light while others go off in different positions just doesn’t prove to anyone if you are capable of driving a car/bus or HGV in my eyes.