eye test

Hi all
Went to book a medical at my doctors to send off for my provisional & was told i would have to take a eye test, to which i replied i had one 4 months ago and only need reading glasses but was told i would need a up to date test.
Would this be correct ? do you need a test just before you apply or is there a within a certain time limit.

Regards,
Jeff. :sunglasses:

P.S
Is the L.G.V eye test different to a normal test.

Many thanks.

YorkshireJeff:
Hi all
Went to book a medical at my doctors to send off for my provisional & was told i would have to take a eye test, to which i replied i had one 4 months ago and only need reading glasses but was told i would need a up to date test.
Would this be correct ? do you need a test just before you apply or is there a within a certain time limit.

Regards,

The eye test has to be done within 4 months of your licence application being received by DVLA.

Page 2 here.

Excellent thank you for your response tachograph, unfortunately four months passed on the 18th July…dam will have to take another one. :open_mouth:

Thanks,

Tesco optitians do free eye tests for anyone.

Hi Mike-C
Thanks for the heads up about Tesco I’ll get booked in , do you know if i will need my provisional form for the optician to fill in or just the medical one. Only i have requested the provisional application from DVLA but not arrived yet & downloaded the medical, it’s just i wont to get things rolling Asap.

Regards,

YorkshireJeff:
Thanks for the heads up about Tesco I’ll get booked in , do you know if i will need my provisional form for the optician to fill in or just the medical one. Only i have requested the provisional application from DVLA but not arrived yet & downloaded the medical, it’s just i wont to get things rolling Asap.

Just the medical form D4, the doctor has always completed my form D4 including the eye sight section, he’s always taken the information off the opticians prescription.

Thanks for the help tachograph. :slight_smile:

I went into Specsavers for a Pound of carrots and a Pound of Onions, i was dissapointed when they told me i needed an eye test :laughing: i have been going to them for a couple of years, and went this year for my annual eye test for DVLA, very helpful, no mistakes but had to have a slight correction in my Prescription lenses, used the old frames, no probs, filled in the medical form for DVLA with not an ounce of fuss, all in all a very good service.

Last time I went to Specsavers they made my prescription wrong I wouldnt change it said I would have to get used to it & that was what my eyes tested at the time so must be right

Not impressed got my money back went else where

Though I have done very little HGV driving in the last 4 or 5 years, in June I went for my second 5 yearly medical. The doctor fired the usual questions, to which I gave satisfactory replies, until coming to the eye sight question, ‘any problems with your eyes?’ I said that I now need to wear reading glasses, which I would consider normal for a fifty year old, with which the doctor was in agreement, however he then asked, ‘no other eye problems?’ I told him that I had, three times in the previous 15 years an eye condition known as ‘Central Serous Retinopathy,’ a self correcting condition, caused by stress. The doctor said that he was unfamiliar with this condition, and recommended me to have my eyes tested by an ophthalmic optician, which I did that same day, and passed all the tests with flying colours. All the paperwork was duly completed, and sent off to DVLA. A month or so later, my new license had not appeared, but instead a letter from DVLA, demanding that I make an appointment for an eye test with a branch of Specsavers, (4 nearby branches were given as options).

I phoned the nearest branch, and was told ‘there is a procedure, someone will contact you on Monday.’ Monday came and went, as did Tuesday, with no contact from Specsavers. Eventually having contacted Specsavers head office to ask what the truck was going on, I made an appointment with a branch at a large seaport a few miles north east of Folkestone.

The eye test started off with the, how far down the chart can you read test.’ I read the bottom line, and was told by the young lady that though they could not disclose their findings to me, that she considered me to have excellent eye sight. I was then shown to an adjoining room, for the ‘Field Vision Test.’ This test is where you look inside a globe, and press a clicker every time you see a light appear within your field of vision. Unfortunately, a small part of the mechanism of the machine was visible, and each time I heard the electric motor of this part, my eyes automatically looked toward it, to see it move. I mentioned this problem three times to the woman conducting the test, but she appeared uninterested.

Several weeks later I received a letter from DVLA, though not my shiny new license. Instead, a letter telling me that I had failed the Specsavers eye test, that my eyesight was not sufficiently good for the category of vehicle that I was applying for and that my class 1 was being revoked. It further stated that if I wished to appeal against this decision I could do so through a magistrates court, which in my mind equated to a lot of time, bundles of paper work, buckets full of money and no guarantee of satisfaction.

Though this came like a kick in the balls, I resigned myself to the fact that my days behind the wheel of an HGV were over, and no matter how infuriating and unjust this decision was, there seemed to be little that I could do.

Several months later another letter from DVLA, this time apologizing profusely, stating that Specsavers had given me the wrong field vision test, and that if I still wished to apply to renew my class1, I should contact the NHS eye hospital near my home and book an appointment for an eye test. Result of that eye test, I read the bottom line on the chart, and scored 100% on the field vision test. The optician told me that since Specsavers had been awarded the contract to conduct eye tests on behalf of DVLA in the early part of 2014, that they had been inundated with people like me who had been messed around by Specsavers, and had their licenses revoked and in many instances had lost their jobs, but had appealed, and the vast majority had won their appeals. It is apparent that Specsavers was the cheapest option, and it is easy to see why! It should have gone to Vision Express!

no problem with specsavers , renewed my glasses last year and i am regularly checked to monitor developing cataracts . they are also approved nhs hearing examiners and suppliers of hearing aids , their hearing aids are better than nhs supplied ones . i dare say it can vary from branch to branch , but my local branch is top notch .

I’ve just had an eyetest at specsavers, £7:50 it cost & I took the time to carry out a free hearing test while waiting, passed both so it’s back on the road. New bins arrive next week. Never had a problem with specsavers in Newcastle.

is there any way to make all this text appear bigger on my screen ■■
only joking…,

Do you pay the doctor on wheels his 50 pound and then go to optician and pay more money ■■

Never use specsavers dont like them they have messed up my prescription more than once

Have mine done every year at zero cost

if you havent got it on your license that you wear glasses for driving
are you not allowed to wear glasses for your 5 year eye test
ps
before you start
i asked the optician if i had to tell DVLA i wear glasses for driving ,
she no no your eyes are not that bad
i asked her do i have to wear the varifocal glasses for driving ,she said you can if you want to but you dont have to
but i do ,all the time,and i havent told DVLA
so do i have to take my lgv medical eye test without glasses

villa:
if you havent got it on your license that you wear glasses for driving
are you not allowed to wear glasses for your 5 year eye test
ps
before you start
i asked the optician if i had to tell DVLA i wear glasses for driving ,
she no no your eyes are not that bad
i asked her do i have to wear the varifocal glasses for driving ,she said you can if you want to but you dont have to
but i do ,all the time,and i havent told DVLA
so do i have to take my lgv medical eye test without glasses

Yes, unless you want 01 on your licence, its up to you, if the optician say your eyesight is good enough leave it at that