Public liability Ins

Morning all,

Looking at going down the self employed route, driving vans around europe on an casual driver only basis with a former employer.

They have told me I would need public liability insurance to do it, but can’t find anywhere that can offer me a quote, does anyone have an recommendations on who to try.

Also on the S/E side what can and can’t I claim for.

I use http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/

tallyman:
I use http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/

that’s who i’m with,think i paid £150 for the year for 2 £million worth of cover.

did mine this morning 2 million cover £135

MORE TH>N £143

I do mine through Staveley Head insurance brokers in Flint. They will be on the Internet somewhere. Mine is about 90quid p/a for 1million quid public liability.

You might also require goods in transit insurance too. Mine is bugger all because I carry low value loads but if you’re carrying some expensive stuff then you’ll need it I would have thought.

As another thought, if you’re going round Europe you might need some kind of medical insurance incase you need medical assistance / flying home etc.

My advice is cover you’re arse now as it cannot be covered after the event! Good luck with it.

glen958:
Morning all,

Looking at going down the self employed route, driving vans around europe on an casual driver only basis with a former employer.

They have told me I would need public liability insurance to do it, but can’t find anywhere that can offer me a quote, does anyone have an recommendations on who to try.

If you’re driving other people’s vans /trucks you don’t need it. Just word your contract so that you are covered under their insurance. Job done. That’s how I always did it when I was s/e and no-one ever had any issues with it and happily the agreement. If you’re shelling out for your own insurance(s) you may as well just work for them as PAYE. :unamused:

Rob K:

glen958:
Morning all,

If you’re driving other people’s vans /trucks you don’t need it. Just word your contract so that you are covered under their insurance. Job done. That’s how I always did it when I was s/e and no-one ever had any issues with it and happily the agreement. If you’re shelling out for your own insurance(s) you may as well just work for them as PAYE. :unamused:

not what i’ve been told & i’m not risking knocking something down or catching something in a yard & then be expected to pay for it.all the agencies i’m with,told me i must have it as i’m a ltd company & also the firms i work direct for wanted a copy of my public liability insurance.even if your self employed you should still have some form of insurance.

jrl driver:

Rob K:

glen958:
Morning all,

not what i’ve been told & i’m not risking knocking something down or catching something in a yard & then be expected to pay for it.all the agencies i’m with,told me i must have it as i’m a ltd company & also the firms i work direct for wanted a copy of my public liability insurance.even if your self employed you should still have some form of insurance.

You do. The insurance of the company that you are sub-contracting to/for. If anything bad happens you just point to the relevant section of your T&Cs and be on your way. Had this happen when I was subbing for Hanson’s and a guy at a loading point claimed that my actions had caused him injury to his back. He tried to sue Hanson’s for it, Hanson’s said nowt to do with them and wanted my home address details to send his claim to, I refused and pointed to the relevant section in the T&Cs, Hanson’s H&S bod took a statement from me and that was the last I heard of it, and I continued subbing for them without any problems.