1 for the self employed agency drivers

What are your views on public liability, & goods in transit insurance.
do you have either?

PM replies if nessesary

As driver your driving on the company your driving fors insurance git is only needed if your supplying the veihcle

Public liability is a good idea and really we should all have it but I’ll bet 99.99% myself included don’t have it

If you work your contract with your client correctly then their insurances will cover you.

Something like this:

The Client will also comply in all respects with all statutes including, for the avoidance of doubt, the requirements of vehicle insurance under the Road Traffic Act, by-laws, codes of practice and legal requirements to which the Client is ordinarily subject in respect of the Client’s own staff, including in particular the provision of adequate vehicle, Employer’s Liability and Public Liability Insurance cover for the Temporary Worker during all Assignments.

Paul

Repton, Normally I’d agree with what you say.
But recently I’ve been talking to a few S/E drivers about various insurances Inc public liability.
As a few agencies that we do work for, have buried within the small print of their T&C’s some aspect of “passing the buck” in respect of catastrophic liability. The consensus among the guys was that they where not aware of this “passing the buck” clause. As typically they just signed on the dotted line without reading the small print. Now they (Inc me) are looking at some form of insurance. which is why I posted my OP

Minor issues, brakeages etc are cover by the hauliers & agencies regular terms as you point out. Which I myself am not worried about ATM.
Though I am now looking at Public liability at around £2M-£5M costing >£200.
Whether any other cover would be required is debatable. But the advice & wisdom of the TNUK members would be appreciated

peirre:
What are your views on public liability, & goods in transit insurance.
do you have either?

PM replies if nessesary

My terms of business stated that it was the client who provided these. The only one I had was public liability which was more to cover a clients employee tripping over my bag or some other equally proposterous claim. Its not dear and should be under £100 for a couple of million quids cover.

I didn’t have either. My contract stated that the client was responsible for all insurances (GIT, PLI etc) and never had it queried. A FLT guy tried to sue me for compo when the dock leveller fell off the back of the trailer just as he was reversing out with the FLT. Reckoned that I’d not “secured” the truck and trailer properly. The client passed the claim to me and I passed it straight back to them, pointing to the relevant sections in the T&Cs of the contract and I never heard anything more.

I believe it was you Conor that originally sent me the template iirc, although I amended a couple of parts.

it depends which route you go down. limited company means you are an employee of your own company and certain insurances such as employers liability are mandatory by law. sole traders do not legally require any insurance but public liability is strongly advised and some clients require proof of it before they will let you on their premises. the quote i got for £2million was £148 from the first name out of the hat (google search). there are pros and cons to both sides so it really is individual choice