Price per mile?

just curious to know how much people charge on averave per mile to do a job or wether they charge per job ?

which is best ■■?

About a quid a mile and a mars bar… :wink:

:wink:

If you are asking as an OD or prospective OD only you know what your costs are so only you know what your rates need to be. Just charging by the mile is not a good idea though.

why not ?

Volvo_Kid:
why not ?

Because the vehicle is not always moving when you are working. For instance you could do a shift of 15 hours but the vehicle can only clock up the miles for a maximum of 10 of those hours.

Coffeeholic:

Volvo_Kid:
why not ?

Because the vehicle is not always moving when you are working. For instance you could do a shift of 15 hours but the vehicle can only clock up the miles for a maximum of 10 of those hours.

that is actually a bloody good point…one which i hadnt thought of.

only reason i hadnt thought of it was the wagon is being used with a fridge trailer and iam sub contracting it out but the drivers only do a maximum of 8 hrs a day .Their is no jobs that we are doing at the moment that requires a driver to sleep in the cab '‘at the moment anyway’

Guessing at costs is the road to bankruptcy. There are many factors to be taken into account. Commercial Motor and Motor Transport used to do tables that gave you figures to work on and they would be a good starting point.

waddy640:
Guessing at costs is the road to bankruptcy. There are many factors to be taken into account. Commercial Motor and Motor Transport used to do tables that gave you figures to work on and they would be a good starting point.

i take it they no longer do them ?

iam trying to work out how much to charge as most people charge per job or even per mile ,But also iam trying to work out my mpg and fuel ,wages, etc etc

currently running version 2 Volvo Fh 480 globetrotter xl’s with i shift and Gray & adams fridges

It’s just not possible to say. It might be viable to do regular trips to Spain for £1.50 a mile, it wouldn’t be possible to do two loads a day from Dartford to Wembley for £5 a mile.

Volvo_Kid:
iam trying to work out how much to charge as most people charge per job or even per mile ,But also iam trying to work out my mpg and fuel ,wages, etc etc

You have gone about this arse about face. All that should have been done long before you started running, or even bought, a vehicle or got your O Licence. Without doing all that first how did you even know it was worth starting?

Coffeeholic:

Volvo_Kid:

You have gone about this arse about face. All that should have been done long before you started running, or even bought, a vehicle or got your O Licence. Without doing all that first how did you even know it was worth starting?

the ‘o’ licence is not mine as iam running it on a friends and paying him to use it.The wagons we already had as we bought them a few years back to sell on but never did.And i have worked for the firm iam doing work for now as an employee and iam just finding my feet with them.Only been running for a couple of weeks .Thing is im not doing this as a only means of income as i own 2 steel firms in sheffield and a number of other businesses. The reason iam doing it is to build up another business as a sort of hobby as we have trucks at our disposal and no use for them. I apreciate the comments made already but as i say iam finding my feet in the trucking world and dont intend on making a fortune out of it. Just enough to cover expences and a little besides.

I also apreciate the fact that people will tell me to forget this idea but that is their opinion .
we use the trucks for delivering our own steel and i also own a used machinery business so they are used to cart machinery.
I decided to go into the refrigerated side of it as sort of a side job when the others are quiet.

I expect i will get a lot of abuse or negative comments now so…fire away :laughing:

Where is Duncan Bannatyne when you need him :laughing:

Rob, you are slipping :wink:

The post is a wind up, or see the next instalment in Commercial motor

Volvo_Kid:
the ‘o’ licence is not mine as iam running it on a friends and paying him to use it.

Surely you mean “I am not running on a friend’s O licence because that would be illegal” :wink:

Harry Monk:

Volvo_Kid:
the ‘o’ licence is not mine as iam running it on a friends and paying him to use it.

Surely you mean “I am not running on a friend’s O licence because that would be illegal” :wink:

yes that is what i mean :laughing:

Oh Dear , I hope this is a wind up , otherwise…"There May Be Trouble Ahead "

do you think i would write all this for a wind up ■■?

Volvo_Kid:
do you think i would write all this for a wind up ■■?

there are no sutch thing as rates in the haulage industry. they tell you, you do it for x amount or {zb} off.

browncow2:
ther are no sutch think as rates in the haulage industry. they tell you, you do it for x amount or {zb} off.

Yes, this is a succinct and accurate description of the way it works.