Prestons of potto

Does anybody know what they pay?

MONEY :laughing:

:smiley: Better than a mars bar

Their wage was in line with general haulage pay back 10yrs ago running out of St Neots.

its 9yrs since i worked there but i would say they are on the average as i dont think theres a waiting list for a job there, its steady enough although they do like you out all week, still if you dont mind scania,s its not a bad job :stuck_out_tongue:

Where you based out of mate, Knottingley or main base assuming you’re going to work there. And i know it’s not great money but it is average. :smiley:

But my dads back there. And he was there 7 years the first time round. They’ve been alright with him and supportive with his health. And from what i’ve seen at knottingley they aren’t a bad group of folk :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny

i think it`s £6.71 an hr for the 1st 45 hrs and time n a 1/4 after that and double for a sun and bank hol and £20 night out money ,they dont pay for parking jobs pretty steady like ya to work weekends mostly rdc and all the shiney boys get sun work and the scotch runs or devon area hope this helps :smiley:

That was back in the day that I was running for Robinson’s of Sandy. Now there’s a job to get some experience.

thank you for all the information i live in stockton. Would do flats as i dont mind them and no rdc

Stockton is almost totally flats, although in Prestons colours it is a subsidery company (FVS) you will get plenty of experience of flats and steel carrying, along with using extenders. Once away from teesside though it is quite regular to get onto Tautliners for which ever Prestons depot is nearest
I always prefered FVS over Prestons and they always seemed a lot more laid back than Potto, Knottingly or Neots.

Pay as said is about average for the area,

Rikki-UK:
Stockton is almost totally flats, although in Prestons colours it is a subsidery company (FVS) you will get plenty of experience of flats and steel carrying, along with using extenders. Once away from teesside though it is quite regular to get onto Tautliners for which ever Prestons depot is nearest
I always prefered FVS over Prestons and they always seemed a lot more laid back than Potto, Knottingly or Neots.

just shows how people look at things differently, i hated stockton and wouldnt even go in there for fuel unless i was desperate, the old manager at potto malcolm hardcastle was a sound bloke and knew how to look after those that he got on with, was a good job when i was there and i only left to start on my own, i was on steel and used to do everything possible to avoid getting stuck with a tautliner, worked most of the time as well :smiley:

yep mally was always decent, and too be fair Clive at neots wasnt bad either, being an FVS “Blue eye” when the coil was still going by road nearly every Sunday would get the good run to South Wales, tip Monday load Rebar out of Cardiff for London… that meant a good week as from there it was normally Tallington for beams to anywhere, courtesy of Clive

I did a long spell on the coke job for Potto, great miles, (Sidcup to East Kilbride, tip and reload for Sidcup for example ) but prefered the flats.

FVS gave me the break into 50, then 60 foot loads then abnormals which directly led me to get the job I loved the most in all my years driving, at Econofreight.

As said above money was average for the area, and when I was there the wagons were basic fleet, and few luxuries like night heaters but they were well maintained as were the trailers. the Stockton workshop was immaculate you could eat your dinner of the floor, and was used by the ministry to show new operators what a workshop should be run like, The workshop manager there was a mate and I have lost touch but believe he is now in charge of all Prestons maintainence.

It was one of those firms where you would meet up every night in regular parking spots, close to a pub and have a decent night out every day of the week, and every Friday the Sunday runners would finish and meet up in the pub opposite the yard for a few jars and a natter.

Friendships made there have endured the years and lads who have moved on to better jobs have got the lads in with them… I got onto the road Planing and tarmac from one of the lads and got a couple other guys on the same firm later.

I cant say what it is like now, but when I was there, while money could be better it was a good bunch of lads and Derek and Martin in the office were decent enough guys to work for you would go that bit extra for them if they asked

Rikki-UK:
yep mally was always decent, and too be fair Clive at neots wasnt bad either, being an FVS “Blue eye” when the coil was still going by road nearly every Sunday would get the good run to South Wales, tip Monday load Rebar out of Cardiff for London… that meant a good week as from there it was normally Tallington for beams to anywhere, courtesy of Clive

I did a long spell on the coke job for Potto, great miles, (Sidcup to East Kilbride, tip and reload for Sidcup for example ) but prefered the flats.

FVS gave me the break into 50, then 60 foot loads then abnormals which directly led me to get the job I loved the most in all my years driving, at Econofreight.

As said above money was average for the area, and when I was there the wagons were basic fleet, and few luxuries like night heaters but they were well maintained as were the trailers. the Stockton workshop was immaculate you could eat your dinner of the floor, and was used by the ministry to show new operators what a workshop should be run like, The workshop manager there was a mate and I have lost touch but believe he is now in charge of all Prestons maintainence.

It was one of those firms where you would meet up every night in regular parking spots, close to a pub and have a decent night out every day of the week, and every Friday the Sunday runners would finish and meet up in the pub opposite the yard for a few jars and a natter.

Friendships made there have endured the years and lads who have moved on to better jobs have got the lads in with them… I got onto the road Planing and tarmac from one of the lads and got a couple other guys on the same firm later.

I cant say what it is like now, but when I was there, while money could be better it was a good bunch of lads and Derek and Martin in the office were decent enough guys to work for you would go that bit extra for them if they asked

My dad was on the coke contract when he was with prestons the first time, Don’t know whether you knew him then like, Big jim…Jimbob. Had a Daf 85 from what I think when he was on the Coke contract. Was either coke of schwepsies no sure :grimacing:
Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

chaversdad:

Rikki-UK:

just shows how people look at things differently, i hated stockton and wouldnt even go in there for fuel unless i was desperate, the old manager at potto malcolm hardcastle was a sound bloke and knew how to look after those that he got on with, was a good job when i was there and i only left to start on my own, i was on steel and used to do everything possible to avoid getting stuck with a tautliner, worked most of the time as well :smiley:

When I had my rigid I was subbying for Prestons. I wrongly thought that upping my carrying capacity by 150% I could at least double my income, so bought an artic. Asked them to treat me gentle as I hadn’t driven one since I passed my test. They sent me to the middle of Newcastle with a 50 footer :laughing: :laughing:
Great days, great lads, that was 20 odd years ago though.
Oh and flats over tautliner everytime for me although we used to load plastics etc back in them days 2 half sheets and a fly sheet. There was often someone there to lend a hand though.
Both Mally and Malcom were sound blokes.

brett73:
Does anybody know what they pay?

“i think it`s £6.71 an hr”

Not a lot apparently :frowning: