prestons of potto

any body worked for them wats the job like money etc iam cunna give them a call in january

I’ve not worked for them, But i have collected steel pipes from them for ireland on a few occasions. Morale with the lads was dead on, not a winge or a moan out of anyone, Just a bunch of helpfull people.
If they are happy, Then the working conditions, money and management must be pretty good.

fly by night:
any body worked for them wats the job like money etc iam cunna give them a call in january

AFAIK, they pay pretty poor wages (minimum -ish) and long hours too. Not certain though, I’m sure someone will be along soon to give you more/better info… :sunglasses:

i worked for them a while ago but speak to there lads most days, easy enough job as long as you dont mind carrying steel and being away most of the week, they do some curtain work but nothing like as much as they used to and most of that seems to be done from there Neots depot, decent trucks, decent trailers but nearly everyone winges about the money now, 10 yrs ago you couldnt get a job their without min 5 yrs experience,now if you are there at the right time and have just passed your test they will give you a job, got to say something

£6.71 per hour

got 22 yrs experience iam away 2 to 3 weeks at a time so dont mind been away cunna give them a call in january i think thanks for the help

I go in there on agency. Have to say its always a good experience. Efficient, friendly and decent tackle.
No idea what they pay.

SHYTOT:
£6.71 per hour

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

40p/hr more than minimum wage.

Conor:

SHYTOT:
£6.71 per hour

40p/hr more than minimum wage.

Thought so.

Obviously a shower of ■■■■ then. :open_mouth:

Anybody worked for them ? What is the job like ? Money etc ? I am going to give them a call in January.
Fixed that for you.

SHYTOT:
£6.71 per hour

and everyone slags off stobarts pay rates■■?

i have been working for prestons since early october,its my first job since passing class 1 in august,if like me you have no experiance they like you to do a week or 2 training in your own time as a second man,its mainly just to see how keen you are and if your up to the job.
the job itself is mainly tramping steel,they like you to be out all week,and although the money isnt the best it does add up
recent pay rise,£7.25 for first 45,time and a quater after that £23 night out money time and a half sundays, prestons do not pay for parking.
the job itself is pretty good,planners leave you alone, you only really speak to them when you call in,wagons are well maintained and they never ask you to do any bending of the rules
overall its a pretty decent job i think,the other drivers are pretty friendly,patient and helpful which for a n00b like me is invaluable.

Do not pay for parking.So it is ■■■ and pee in a lay by then with rats for company.?
With a Snap account the firm gets a good discount off the full price .
The money saved for not paying parking and having 1200 litres of fuel stolen or the load stolen,the maths will not add up.
I have heard of firms in Devon and Cornwall adopting this no pay parking approach.
No wonder female drivers are low in the industry and new drivers too.

Synthetic sid,well done on getting a job your clearly happy with.
You say they like noobs to do " a week or two " in your own time training , as in every day , full working day ?
Just how many unpaid days did you do ?
Not knocking you or your job just interested ( or nosey whichever)
Jim

i was a chef at the time,so i worked for them on mondays and tuesdays on my days off for like 4 weeks,the lad i trained for class 1 with also works for them,
he was unemployed at the time and he did monday to friday for a week.
it is a full working day i guess but really your just out with a day man who is showing you the ropes,so your not really doing a great deal of “work”
i viewed it as more like free training and was pretty happy to do it tbh :smiley:

Fair play to you Sid , there are plenty on here who will berate you for doing unpaid " training " but it obviously served your purpose and your mates !
Where you based ? I’ve seen many a Preston’s wagons parked up in unofficial places.
Jim

Synthetic_sid:
i was a chef at the time,so i worked for them on mondays and tuesdays on my days off for like 4 weeks,the lad i trained for class 1 with also works for them,
it is a full working day i guess but really your just out with a day man who is showing you the ropes,so your not really doing a great deal of “work”
i viewed it as more like free training and was pretty happy to do it tbh :smiley:

Well done Sid…

You just proved to the management you’re the sort of bloke that doesn’t expect to be paid for working…

If there were enough blokes like you, hauliers could get away with having half the workforce on no pay at all…!!

Synthetic_sid:
i have been working for prestons since early october,its my first job since passing class 1 in august,

the job itself is mainly tramping steel,they like you to be out all week,

although the money isnt the best

wagons are well maintained
overall its a pretty decent job i think

which is pretty much what i said :wink:

Truckulent:

Synthetic_sid:

Well done Sid…

You just proved to the management you’re the sort of bloke that doesn’t expect to be paid for working…

If there were enough blokes like you, hauliers could get away with having half the workforce on no pay at all…!!

actually i think thats a little unfair
without doing those unpaid training days i simply would’nt have got the job
it served a purpose and really why would they have paid 2 people to do 1 mans job?

im a 42 yr old man with 25 years catering experiance and a class 1 licence,if i walked into your yard would you recomend me for a job?

synthetic sid you have my vote