Poor fuel consumption problem solved?

As an o/d I take a keen eye on my fuel consumption obviously. I’ve recently been getting some odd variations in my MPG figures.

Looking at my fill ups since the turn of the year, I’ve noticed a pattern. Everytime I fill up from one particular station, my MPG drops 1-1.4mpg. I only really use 4-5 petrol stations regularly and this one sticks out like the balls on a bulldog.

This can’t be a coincidence can it? My work is always pretty samey over the period of an average month and there is no reason that the fuel figures should plummet so much (i.e. all day uphill fully laden).

I’m thinking trading standards need a call? I’ve looked on the Consumer Direct website and it seems like the place to go?

Anybody got any opinions or experienced anything similar?

take a litre container in and measure it out from the pump.

Lemme guess its an Esso garage?

I used to use one of these garages to fill my car but noticed about a 15% drop in consumption in my car.

Apparently its the additives they add during the winter

My mob has moved from ReD to Shell, and have noticed a drop in economy. Apparently they are in talks with Shell with a view to move to another provider eg Keyfules unless Shell can come up with some sort of deal to keep them sweet. One explanation I heard was all the stuff shell put in their fuel.

Also, I noticed when I was filling up my lovely 530d, there was a sticker above the pump saying x amount percentage bio fuel?!?! Is it just Shell that uses part bio, or do they all?

I did notice that when I fill ‘er indoors’ vectra with diesel from ASDA the economy is cr@p but when I fuel up with JET diesel the difference is amazing, ASDA diesel gives 37.3 mpg and JET diesel gives 42.8 plus the JET fuel is usually a penny a litre cheaper than ASDA. Quality of the fuel I guess.

2 garages in Stranraer (Both BP BRANDED) have recently been bought by an Irish group, when I say Irish group I mean 2 x Irishmen, anyways it seems the last couple of months theyve been bringing over tehre OWN fuel… Wouldnt have thought that would go down well with BP? ALso ■■■■ nos what the fuel will be like. Ive had 1st hand experience with dodgy fuel in our Volvos with injectors, fuel filters etc blocking due to crap diesel…

i find Morrison’s petrol is good, in my little focus i done 450 miles on a tank. When i have been to a BP garage i only done 380 miles on a tank and i drive like an old granddad.

scottishcruiser:
2 garages in Stranraer (Both BP BRANDED) have recently been bought by an Irish group, when I say Irish group I mean 2 x Irishmen, anyways it seems the last couple of months theyve been bringing over tehre OWN fuel… Wouldnt have thought that would go down well with BP? ALso [zb] nos what the fuel will be like. Ive had 1st hand experience with dodgy fuel in our Volvos with injectors, fuel filters etc blocking due to crap diesel…

i loik the oirish accent mate (tehre) own fuel :smiley:
top of the morning sir

scottishcruiser:
2 garages in Stranraer (Both BP BRANDED) have recently been bought by an Irish group, when I say Irish group I mean 2 x Irishmen, anyways it seems the last couple of months theyve been bringing over tehre OWN fuel… Wouldnt have thought that would go down well with BP? ALso [zb] nos what the fuel will be like. Ive had 1st hand experience with dodgy fuel in our Volvos with injectors, fuel filters etc blocking due to crap diesel…

Aye,the propcorn they use to "wash"the green dye out can make a grand mess o your fuel pump too :unamused: :laughing:

Davyboy:

scottishcruiser:

Aye,the propcorn they use to "wash"the green dye out can make a grand mess o your fuel pump too :unamused: :laughing:

I was thinking that too. What if you get stopped over here with Green? Can they still do you for it?

In reply to the questions the ‘dodgy’ garage in question used to be a Total, now its unbranded except the Costcutter supermarket bit attatched.

My findings are that I’m only getting 8mpg when I fill up there, which is ■■■■■■■ dire. If I fill up other places, I’m getting 9.2-9.7mpg. Thats too big a difference to be a coincidence. I’ve found Shell to be ahead of Texaco (slightly).

Anyway, I’ve asked Trading Standards to look into it. If theres no problem then they have nothing to hide.

May not actually be the derv that’s the issue. Perhaps more to do with the calibration of the pump. We all know O/D’s can get their truck wound up and still show 90k, surely fuel stations can do similar to their pump. Get a 1lt jug and fill it with 1lt derv from the pump display. Not allowed to fill improper containers, but when you’re beside the truck filling your container for the car err I mean for cleaning the suzi’s then shouldn’t be hard to quickly fill it :wink: