POA & Unpaid Breaks

Hi

Quick question for the hours experts.

My shifts are normally around 12 hours long and the agency always deducts 45 for breaks.

However, the work involves a lot of sitting around waiting to be loaded, tipped or even waiting for a bay to go and wait to be loaded. Having done the job a while I know roughly how long the waits are and double check with the traffic office or forklift drivers.

Once the curtains are open I use POA until my involvement is required again. Doing this means that the combination of driving and other work rarely comes to more than 6 hours in total.

Given this am I right not to use break at all (unless exceeding 6 hours work). If I am ok not using break I wonder if the agency will agree not to deduct the 45 minutes.

Well you’re right that the POA doesn’t count as working time and if you’re not doing 6 hours working time legally you don’t need a break, but convincing the agency not to stop you 45 minutes break could be a problem I’m afraid :frowning:

I wish you luck with it though :wink:

I would not think so if i read it right.You want to work all day dont have a break just to get paid an extra 45 mins per day.

I think you will find that you agreed to the 45 mins deduction in a document you signed when joining the agency so make the shift last 45 mins longer if the daily rest rules allow :bulb: :question:

Thanks for the quick responses.

Good to know I might be getting to grips with driving hours and WTD at last.

I think you’re right about the challenge with the agency although I did get a concession out of them once on another contract.

For me this isn’t about working more hours. It’s about being paid for the time I’m away from home. Wages are low enough as it is.

Colin_scottish:
I would not think so if i read it right.You want to work all day dont have a break just to get paid an extra 45 mins per day.

You haven’t, he wants to do exactly what he’s already doing but with the tacho (legally) on a different mode and get paid an extra 45 minutes because he doesn’t like not being paid for a break that he doesn’t (legally) need to take.

Bigpaul:
Thanks for the quick responses.

Good to know I might be getting to grips with driving hours and WTD at last.

I think you’re right about the challenge with the agency although I did get a concession out of them once on another contract.

For me this isn’t about working more hours. It’s about being paid for the time I’m away from home. Wages are low enough as it is.

Good luck with it all drive.

Always remember that there is more than one way to skin a cat! :smiling_face::smiling_face:

Check the contract, if you don’t require the break then take back the 45mins out of the agency, they would do it to you if poss! Cmon drivers this forum is crying out for a driver over agency success story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance! Trust me many have tried every which way to get round various agency tactics and they always fail!

Simply renegotiate with the agency. After all, without drivers they have no business.

switchlogic:
No chance! Trust me many have tried every which way to get round various agency tactics and they always fail!

Au contraire…

I have had more than one agency over a barrel in small claims court over monies owed.

Settled in my favour plus costs every time or they offered to settle before the actual case.

As a Ltd. Co. driver I simply regarded them as a ‘bad debt’, and went after them to recover my money, as any other company would, and should.

Keeping everything in writing was key.

I work 12 hours a day, but could you tell me if there is a loop hole that makes it look like I’m not…

You’re telling us that you’re working less than 6 hours, by using creative accounting, and being paid 11.15 hours for that, but you want to know if you can screw that extra 45 minutes out of the job??
And you wonder why companies want deduct time off??

^^^^^ Who are you asking…?

Londontrucker123:

What?

the nodding donkey:

Londontrucker123:

What?

Don’t worry about it, obviously too difficult.

Londontrucker123:

the nodding donkey:

Londontrucker123:

What?

What is?

the nodding donkey:

Londontrucker123:

the nodding donkey:

Londontrucker123:

What?

What is?

Don’t worry 'bout it… doesn’t matter.

What doesn’t?

the nodding donkey:
I work 12 hours a day, but could you tell me if there is a loop hole that makes it look like I’m not…

You’re telling us that you’re working less than 6 hours, by using creative accounting, and being paid 11.15 hours for that, but you want to know if you can screw that extra 45 minutes out of the job??

Why not? A lot of us are paid right through, why shouldn’t he be? Are you?

Les Shoes:

the nodding donkey:

Why not? A lot of us are paid right through, why shouldn’t he be? Are you?

Of course I am. I’m not the one complaint here, am I?