Picture request Leyland liveries etc

Hi all,

Shortly will be painting my T45 Roadtrain and I am looking for inspiration for the cab design.

Thinking black chassis with possibly blue or maroon cab and “Leyland style” stripes.

Any pics / ideas welcome, would love some authentic 80’s colourschemes pics.

Heres how she looks at the moment.

Cheers
Mike

paint it rust so it will match in a couple of years :smiley:

seriously though what about a deep red i always thought roadtrains in red looked the part for some strange reason

It was suggested to me that dark red with a silver chassis would look good, not sure about the silver tho, the rust with show up like anything!

How about these colours.

Hiya ,
What about the original launch demo colours?

The white wheels look nice set against the black chassis

if you go to flickr and tap in t45 in the search box there are loads of photos of t45 leylands,maybe get some inspiration :bulb:

nice truck,the sleeper looks like a fibreglass one so you wont suffer with the above wheelarch rot!

i always liked boon bros from peterboros roadtrains most were big cabs but some were low datum like yours,

they were bright red cab with the layland stripes in white,with the leyland roundel on the front,with white steps/bumper and chassis.

or i saw an interstater at the weekend in the t45 colours mid blue with white leyland stripes it looked amazing.

sorry no pics of either.

whatever colour you do put some pics up as it looks a great motor.

bsc blue always looked fresh-alan

bsc blue always looked fresh-alan

later in ues livery

tonyhogi:
Hiya ,

That gets my vote.

What is low datum supposed to mean? High roof / low roof? Floor height?

tonyhogi:
Hiya ,

That gets my vote.

What is low datum supposed to mean? High roof / low roof? Floor height?

the high datum cab was the bigger sleeper cab the steps came to the top of the wheel arches.

whereas the pics on this thread the doors curve round the wheel arches = low datum.

hope that makes sense, the high roof interstater was a high datum cab with a high roof on top as well.

The high datum cab was fitted to the 14 lt ■■■■■■■ models in day or sleeper cab [ blue circle cement had a lot of high datum day cabs ] as the engine sat higher in the chassis , compare the pics below … Hope this helps :wink:

high datum

low datum

Yeah, got it!!! The first 2 lorries i drove (i was 17 on private land) were a constructor 8 wheeler and a roadtrain (high datum :wink: )

The Roadtrain was red and white. A stunning looking motor, i just wish i had some photos :cry:

Thanks!!!

vwvanman0:
nice truck,the sleeper looks like a fibreglass one so you wont suffer with the above wheelarch rot!

whatever colour you do put some pics up as it looks a great motor.

Yep its a jennings conversion on the back, needs a little finishing but it was definately worth fitting even if it did take 5 or 6 weekends.

only complaint I have is the ride is extremely bouncy without a load on, but thats what you expect with a truck that age.

Brady was a large operator of these trucks, or how about Catto using a traditional design.

Bewick might even commission you to paint it in Libby’s of Milnthorpe livery :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a suggestion - find out who its’ original owner was, and if they are still in business, contact them for assistance and permission to re-create their livery - they might just chip in towards the paint job and you’ll end up with an authentic motor.

i had a constructor sleeper cab when it was bought second hand the cab was all blue it was disgusting it was resprayed main cab brunsic green then the wings bumper and the leyland name plate post office red it looked good the wagon was b reg i had her when she was 4 years old was 10 year old when she was sold and the cab was like new no rest not even on the panels of the sleeper section where they always rusted

fodenway:
Here’s a suggestion - find out who its’ original owner was, and if they are still in business, contact them for assistance and permission to re-create their livery - they might just chip in towards the paint job and you’ll end up with an authentic motor.

It trundled about for Esso, possibly Fina as far as I can tell, hence the boring white cab grey chassis look, not much hope of any interest from either methinks :confused:

Had too much of the tanker stuff taken off already and I’m not particularly keen on keeping it a tanker spec.